Connect with us

Economy

GenCos threaten to shut down power generation supply

Published

on

GenCos threaten to shut down power generation supply


The Power Generation Companies (GenCos), have threatened to shut down power generation supply if pressing issues in the sector are not addressed.

The GenCos spoke through the Executive Secretary, Association of Power Generation Companies (APGC), Dr Joy Ogaji at a news conference in Abuja on Sunday.

Ogaji explained that the main reason for considering to take such action was due to the inability of Nigerian Bulk Electricity Trading Company (NBET) to honour agreement it had with GenCos.

She said GenCos were facing liquidity challenge due to NBET’s breach of the Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) terms of 100 per cent payment for power generated and supplied.

Nigeria News Agency reports that NBET (Bulk Trader) is a trading licensee.

It is licensed and regulated by the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) to undertake bulk purchase and resale of electricity in the Transitional Electricity Market.

She accused NBET’s management of constituting itself as “the Alpha and Omega” authority that has the capacity to make or mar generation businesses in the country.

According to her, the situation is so bad that to remain in business and provide power to Nigerians, GenCos have to plead, lobby, and beg to be paid for power generated and utilised.

“NBET has now reduced its role to blackmailing and threatening GenCos investors and chairmen who have refused to concede to NBET’s illegal demand of a 0.75 per cent charge on invoices paid to gas suppliers.

“NBET has clearly threatened not to release payments due GenCos until they accede to NBET’s request, urging them to agree for a quid pro quo with the 0.75 per cent administrative charge.

“The situation is truly grave and completely unprecedented as NBET has completely shed its role as a licencee of the industry and has taken on some sort of regulatory role.

“This singular action by NBET may lead to shutdown of power supply by GenCos, who have unanimously agreed to call the bluff of NBET.

“GenCos have, in addition to the mounting debts being owed, working under the harsh, unprofessional and unethical dealings from the NBET management staff.

“GenCos Chief Executives and other key staff all have a bucket full of tales of abuses, insults, aggression, nonchalance, non-responsiveness, bullish, belittling, and ostracising actions

“All these are geared towards intimidating the GenCos and keeping them at bay from seeking legitimate clarifications,” she said.

The executive secretary said the matter had been reported to the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) and other high authorities but yet nothing had been done.

She called on Federal Government through the board Chairman of NBET to review the professional conduct of the management of NBET and ensure that business etiquettes were instilled.

“In a nascent market as ours, there are processes entrenched in the  Market Rules and other applicable Codes that should be followed in dealing with sectorial issues at all times.

“This is in order not to leave room for arbitrariness, duress or undue influence.

“The Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) clearly delineates the terms of the business relationship and expectations of the parties.

“NBET was designed to help smoothen these relationships, removing frictions which may exist between Gencos and DisCos.

“NBET was envisaged to occupy the space between GenCos and DISCOs, acting as a “shock absorber” in times of market turbulence and not to make it worse. “

Ogaji said there was N600 billion the Federal Government needed to pay GenCos through the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).

She said that if that money was not released on time, it was likely to contribute to the shut down of power generation in the country soon.

Effort by Nigeria News Agency to speak with Dr Marilyn Amobi, the managing director/chief executive officer of NBET failed.

A phone call put across to her cell phone was not answered, neither did she respond to the Short Message Service (SMS).

Edited by Ese E. Ekama

Mustapha Sumaila: is a graduate and a professionally trained journalist, with experience in national news reporting/editing and verification at the News Agency of Nigeria. NNN is a Nigerian online news portal that publishes breaking news in Nigeria, and across the world. Our journalists are honest, fair, accurate, thorough and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting news in the best interest of the public, because truth is the cornerstone of journalism and they strive diligently to ascertain the truth in every news report. Contact: editor[at]nnn.com.ng

Kwara schools reopen, comply with COVID-19 protocols No plan to absorb repentant Boko Haram fighters into military – Presidency NSE, DICON collaborate to propel Nigeria’s technological advancement Delta Govt. to partner private sector in fight against COVID-19 pandemic — Okowa Stakeholders embark on NCDs research among People Living with HIV CUPP urges respect for protesters’ rights Mass sack: Pilots, engineers threaten to withdraw services NIRSAL empowers 475 female cassava farmers, 2,872 farmers in south south Sell petrol at old rate until PPPRA gives directive, IPMAN tells members Delta commissioner honoured for fighting against COVID-19 COVID-19: PTF submits interim report, calls for massive search for infected persons NCC revises determination on Unstructured Supplementary Service Data pricing  FG open to development, distribution of COVID-19 vaccine—Osinbajo Kwara Govt tasks principals on compliance with COVID-19 guidelines 8,323 Anambra indigenes to benefit from FG cash transfer programme-DG COVID-19: CACOVID donates food items to Yobe govt. Ogbomoso community commends Buhari for honouring late premier NEPZA mulls incentives, loans for enterprises in Free Trade Zones Bauchi Emir reinstates Bello Kirfi as Waziri of Bauchi Police arrest 45 suspects for various offences in Borno Dubai Tourism didn’t ban Nigerians from UAE- Official Coalition decries attack on Gov. Zulum’s convoy IPMAN directs members to sell petrol at N150 per litre in Kano Senate urges states to partner NBTI for job creation FUTA suspends student who allegedly hacked Premium Times website Bale left out of Real Madrid squad to face Man City Arsenal to sack 55 staff as COVID-19 hits revenues Air Chief says NAF expecting 12 additional aircrafts  APC confirms death of A’Ibom state chairman  Lagos State Governor’s Quiz Competition for Aug. 7 Student’s death: FG seals Ibadan factory E-mail marketing: Netcore Solutions highlights key metrics brands should track Troops raid pirates, militants camp, kill 6 in Bayelsa Obi sworn in to replace late Asari-Toru council boss in Rivers COVID-19: Ekiti distributes 60,000 food packs to vulnerable persons Oyo Govt. approves N59.7 million as takeoff grants for Amotekun operations FG must intervene to reduce risky sexual behaviour among adolescents-Researchers NRC unveils over 700 bidders’ pre-qualification documents Banditry: We won’t allow security challenges to escalate, says Gov. Masari COVID-19: Forum urges FG to reposition technology sector New INEC Admin Sec. assumes duty in Ilorin Blueprint publisher urges youths to embrace education, entrepreneurship COVID-19: FCTA releases protesters COVID-19: WHO deploys health experts to South Africa Obey COVID-19 guidelines, INEC tells voters, stakeholders NSE: Investors staked N3.89bn on 383.3m shares in bullish trading Gov. Matawalle directs provision of relief materials to Zurmi flood victims Presidency: God will decide my political future — Gov. Umahi Kogi proactive in dealing with COVID-19, says Commissioner COVID-19 cases in Africa close to 1m —- WHO