A 25-year-old man was on Tuesday sentenced to life in prison by a court in Germany for stabbing a pregnant woman and killing her unborn child in a hospital.
The presiding judge, Folkmar Broszukat, said the Afghan man was found guilty of attempted murder, grievous bodily harm and induced abortion.
The 25-year-old man attacked the 25-year-old victim in a hospital room in the town of Bad Kreuznach in January.
The pregnant woman, who is from Poland, was saved after an emergency operation, but her unborn child died the following day.
The perpetrator was the father of the baby.
Prosecutors had called for a life sentence for the man, his lawyer, Olaf Langhanki, had asked for a sentence with a limited term, leaving the length to the court.
Edited by Yahaya Isah/Donald Ugwu
- Woman prays court to grant her custody of 2-yr son
- Court remands labourer for allegedly defiling neighbour’s daughter
- NYSC SAED will prepare you for the challenges of unemployment, Okpongete charges corps members
- 14 political parties to participate in Adamawa local council election
- NASA tracks swarm of asteroids zooming toward earth at breakneck speed
- Cleric urges Nigerians to pray for leaders irrespective of differences
- Kogi guber: Attack on SDP secretariat a threat to democracy – Ondo SDP
- EU lawyer: Jailed Catalan leader should have EU parliament immunity
- Asylum seekers cannot lose shelter, food as punishment – EU court
- Kaduna Govt., CS-SUNN train committee on effective nutrition coordination
- Bayelsa poll: Court disqualifies APC deputy governorship candidate over false information
- World Pneumonia Day: Nigeria contributes highest number of child pneumonia globally – UNICEF
- Britain’s opposition Labour Party reports sophisticated cyber attack
- Adegboyega varsity to establish agro-solar power project -VC
- Security: Gov. Matawalle urges repentant bandits to sustain peace
- Thai police arrest 4 suspects over murder of Karen activist
- Amaechi, Peterside mourn death of Prof Tam David-West
- Kano Assembly urges government to construct access road in Kiru LGA
- Most states not implementing Contributory Pension Scheme — PENCOM report
- Russian PM endorses production of ebola vaccine for DRC, others at Novosibirsk facility