However, the resolution is facing some resistance from the U.S., which has threatened to veto the text over some of the language surrounding reproductive health.
On Monday, German Foreign Minister, Heiko Maas and Hollywood actor, Angelina Jolie called for further action to punish those who use rape in warfare and to support survivors of sexual violence in conflict.
The joint op-ed was published by the Washington Post as a draft resolution, urging targeted sanctions for perpetrators and laying out a “survivor-centred approach’’.
The resolution, which is likely to be adopted at a signature event of Germany’s presidency of the UN Security Council, is a “much-needed step toward ending impunity for sexual violence in conflict’’, Maas and Jolie wrote.
“It would also send an important message to those who attempt to roll back human rights.
“We don’t take progress for granted and we will fight to keep it alive.’’
The U.S. has previously objected to language around women’s sexual health at the UN, arguing that such language is a tacit endorsement of abortion.
The UN’s Special Representative on Sexual Violence in Conflict, Pramila Patten, told the Guardian newspaper the text was left “weak” after the removal of the mechanism.
In comments at the UN last week, Patten also stressed that addressing sexual and reproductive health for victims of sexual violence is “critical”.
- Gambari appeals to govt. to provide enabling environment for affordable housing
- Ugandan Nakalembe wins opening round at Nigeria Ladies Open Golf Championship
- Imo NDLEA confirms arrest of alleged notorious drug dealer
- Multiple accident claims 13 lives on Lagos-Ibadan expressway
- APC NWC upholds suspension of Edo party’s chairman
- I will be most excited person if I win 2021 AFCON for Nigeria, Rohr says
- Don tasks FG on production of West Africa Dwarf goat
- Medical doctors urged to draw line between profession ethics and business
- Buhari meets Pearson Educational Group mgt. in London
- Chemical engineers call for policies to promote smart agricultural value chain
- Nigerians seek tougher actions against corruption
- Gov. Matawalle reassures Zamfara citizens of his commitment to security
- Kogi: FCT minister drums support for Bello
- Super Eagles ‘ll grow into AFCON qualifiers, says Akanni
- Obaseki has failed Edo people, says PDP
- Makinde appoints Ex-Rep. Ogunwuyi DG, Investments, PPP Agency
- ZMSG to resuscitate 5 abandoned ginneries—-Gov. Matawalle
- PDP rejects hate speech bill
- Businessman arraigned over alleged importation of 13 containers of substandard cables
- International GIS Day: Expert calls for GIS inculcation in STEM study