Five-time champions Nigeria have landed in host nation Brazil, for this year’s FIFA U-17 World Cup finals holding from Oct. 26 to Nov. 17.
A statement from the Director of Communications, Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Ademola Olajire, said a team of 25 players and nine officials flew out of the country through the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, on Wednesday evening for Dubai.
According to the statement, they would proceed from Dubai to connect another flight to Sao Paulo, Brazil.
The statement added that four players would be cut from the roster after the preparatory period before a 21 –man World Cup squad is unveiled ahead of the opening encounter.
The Nigeria News Agency (NAN), reports that Nigeria won the 1985, 1993, 2007, 2013 and 2015 tournaments, but missed the 2017 finals in India.
Head Coach Manu Garba, who led the 2013 winners, is confident that the Class of 2019 is in Brazil to reclaim the trophy.
The early departure will afford the Golden Eaglets a full two-week final preparatory period, before their opening match of the tournament against Hungary in Goiania on Oct. 26.
Nigeria will then clash with Ecuador at the same venue on Oct. 29 and later tackle Australia in Brasilia on Nov. 1 in a Group B encounter.
Vitoria is the other city hosting the 24 –nation championship.
25 EAGLETS IN BRAZIL FOR FIFA U17 WORLD CUP FINALS
Goalkeepers: Sunday Stephen, Joseph Oluwabusola, Daniel Jinadu
Defenders: Charles Etim, Ogaga Oduko, Usman Ibrahim, Clement Ikenna, Shedrack Tanko, Quadri Edun, Oluwatimilehin Adeniyi, Simon Omon
Midfielders: Samson Tijani, Akinkunmi Amoo, Daniel Francis, Ibraheem Jabaar, Ibrahim Sa’id, Monsuru Opeyemi, Fawaz Abdullahi, Idris Eletu-Odibo, Malcolm Ebowei, Peter Agba
Forwards: Olakunle Olusegun, Wisdom Ubani, Divine Nwachukwu, Mayowa Abayomi (NAN)
(Edited by Abiodun Esan/Mufutau Ojo)
- NGO inaugurates drugs, substance abuse-free clubs in 15 schools in Kaduna
- One dies, 3 injured in Ogun accident
- PDP BoT sets up committee over members’ concerns in Edo, Kano, Lagos, others
- Federation President seeks private companies’ sponsorship for boxing
- Group wants INEC to prosecute perpetrators of electoral violence in Kogi, Bayelsa
- Morocco, Singapore discuss boosting bilateral cooperation
- NGO to assist IDPs in Kwara, others
- Alleged P&ID scam: Court fixes Nov.27 for hearing in Briton’s plea for bail variation
- Iran still largely restricting internet access after fuel protests
- Trump wants impeachment trial in Senate with Bidens, whistleblower testifying – Spokesman
- Corps member gives free medical service in Niger camp
- GDP grew by 2.28% in 3rd quarter of 2019
- Man, 32, in court for allegedly stealing car scraps worth N58,000
- Yemeni PM hails Russia’s positive role in UN Security Council
- Handle antibiotics with care, Pharmacists warn Nigerians
- Obaseki swears in Edigin as 7th Edo Chief Judge
- Expert seeks more govt support for real sector
- Appeal Court affirms Tambuwal’s election
- Court remands teenager over alleged house-breaking, stealing
- Woman in court for allegedly hacking phone, stealing N2.5m
- Turkey’s invasion of Syria enabled hundreds of IS militants to escape – Russian official
- Yahoo founder warns of tech divide returning world to ‘dark age’
- Indonesian city hands out baby chicks to keep pupils busy, off smartphones
- Trump insists on ceasefire as precondition for Afghan peace talks
- South African Airways signs wage deal with non-striking union
- Para-athletes plead with Enugu Govt. for equipment, monthly allowance
- Sri Lanka’s newly elected president swears in 15-member cabinet
- Humble Mourinho vows to bring success to Spurs
- Traditional medicine practitioner urges research into African herbs, roots
- Oil holds near two-month high on OPEC+ extension expectations
- Poland picks new constitutional judges amid row over judiciary
- Enugu State: FRSC warns motorists against traffic offences
- 7 men docked for allegedly parading in military uniforms
- Barber allegedly burgles church mission house
- Enugu: LG Council pays hospital bills of over 60 indigent residents
- Labourer in court over allegedly assaulting colleague with shovel
- Xi says Beijing actively working on trade deal with U.S.
- Turkey detains 46 following online criticism of Syria offensive
- Agent in court for allegedly defrauding customer of N1.5m
- Turkey orders detention of 138 suspects over coup bid
- UNESCO affirms commitment to violence-free school policies
- Businessman appears in court for alleged N870,000 fraud
- Association applauds Gov. Abiodun’s efforts in education sector
- Insurance agent in court over alleged theft of clients’ premium worth N1.2m
- Nasarawa State: LGSC warns LG chairmen against unauthorised employment
- Man in court for giving false information to police
- Association raises alarm on inefficiency of antibiotics due to abuse
- Finance Bill 2019: NECA expressed concern at passage
- Mongolia appoints new central bank governor
- Buhari approves re-appointment of NIMC boss for second term