The U.S. clawed back into contention at the Presidents Cup on Saturday by dominating the afternoon foursomes, with the Internationals rallying to maintain their lead.
Late scrambling by the Internationals secured a 10-8 lead heading into the final day at Royal Melbourne.
There were angry scenes earlier when Patrick Reed’s caddie clashed with a spectator after the U.S. golfer was beaten in the morning fourballs with Webb Simpson.
It was their third successive defeat in the Cup.
But he had been heckled for three straight days for his waste bunker penalty in the Bahamas.
U.S. captain Tiger Woods asked the crowd to be “respectful” of his team, saying some fans had drunk too much alcohol and gone too far in their taunting.
“Have people said things that have been over the top? Yes. I’ve heard it,” he told reporters.
“I’ve been in the groups playing when it has happened, and I’ve been inside the ropes as a captain today witnessing it.”
Internationals captain Ernie Els, however, said the International team had suffered worse from the galleries at Liberty National in New Jersey two years ago.
“We shut up and we get on with things. That’s what we did in New York,” the South African said with a touch of defiance.
“This Aussie crowd, OK, they got a little bit boisterous this afternoon with a couple of beers, but which crowd doesn’t? You take it and you move on.”
Reed’s caddie Kessler Karain, also the golfer’s brother-in-law, will not return for the Sunday singles, the PGA Tour said.
It means someone else will carry the American’s bag when he faces Taiwanese debutant C.T. Pan in the third match on Sunday.
With 12 singles matches remaining on day four, the first team to reach 15.5 points will raise the trophy.
No team has ever won when trailing after the third day but the U.S. tied the 2003 tournament 17-17 after going into the final Sunday three points behind.
Woods sat out both the morning fourball and afternoon foursomes on Saturday.
But he will play against the impressive Mexican debutant Abraham Ancer on Sunday as he looks to seize early momentum for the Americans.
The Internationals stretched their lead to 9-5 after winning the early fourballs 2.5-1.5, before Woods’s team dug deep to claim the afternoon foursomes 3-1.
In doing this, they defied huge crowds which grew increasingly hostile as the day wore on.
Dustin Johnson and Gary Woodland led the way with a 2&1 victory over the Internationals’ most senior pairing of Louis Oosthuizen and Adam Scott in the first foursomes match.
Xander Schauffele and Patrick Cantlay then reduced the U.S. deficit to two points with another 2&1 win over Cameron Smith and Im Sung-jae.
The margin would have been shaved to a single point but for a dramatic collapse by Justin Thomas and Rickie Fowler.
The pair blew a five-hole lead after the 10th against Marc Leishman and Ancer.
Under pressure after bogeys at 16 and 17, Thomas pulled his tee-shot on the last deep into trees.
Leishman then pounced with a fine approach that landed within seven feet of the pin to deny the Americans a full point.
“It’s unacceptable for us to get a half a point,” said a crestfallen Thomas, who had held a perfect record until that match.
“We had our chances, and I mean, flat honest, just didn’t execute. I’m just disappointed in myself for burning that for us on 18.”
International rookies Joaquin Niemann and An Byeong-hun fought back from two holes down in the tense final match to share a point with Matt Kuchar and Tony Finau.
Chilean Niemann produced a brilliant recovery from the rough on 18 to give An a birdie chance from within seven feet to claim a full point.
A massive greenside gallery groaned as An’s putt burned the rim of the cup.
Beaten in all three of his matches, Reed will again be under huge scrutiny on Sunday.
The Internationals’ Adam Hadwin, meanwhile, will play after suffering from stomach flu and missing Saturday’s sessions.
Els indicated he expects the event to go down to the wire, putting Adam Scott and his most senior players down for the late matches on Sunday.
(Edited by: Olawale Alabi)
- Handball coach says, `Ban lifted, I am still ready to work`
- Medical outreach: 5,000 patients get free treatment in Adamawa
- BCDA executes 38 projects in Katsina, inaugurates health centre
- Lagosians express concerns following NAFDAC’s alert on using Paracetamol for food preparation
- Chronic Leg Ulcer affects 10 per cent of sickle cell patients- NGO
- Diabetes increases risk of eye diseases – Ophthalmologist
- Lekan Are, foremost Nigerian agronomist, dies at 86
- NUJ President commends FG’s fight against insurgency
- LCCI to collaborate with brokers to promote insurance
- Lassa fever: Medical Expert cautions against drinking Garri
- Access Bank secures final approval for Kenyan Transnational Bank acquisition
- UNIPORT gets 37 new professors
- Gov. Dickson inaugurates Golf Course as Int’l Open Invitational Tournament ends in Bayelsa
- Kebbi govt. inaugurates committee for 2020 Argungu Fishing festival
- ECO Currency: NANTS urges FG, ECOWAS to address corruption, other key priorities
- Rotary Club donates medical equipment to Alimosho General Hospital
- Yuletide: Road accidents claim 31 lives in Ogun
- A’Ibom Govt. donates relief materials to fire victims
- Niger govt. to partner NGOs on youth empowerment – Official
- Greenhouses protect crops from ultraviolet sun rays, pests – Expert
- 5,070 suspects arrested in 2019 for crimes, says Edo Police Command
- Recapitalisation: NIA lauds NAICOM, urges insurers to take advantage of extension
- Re-Run Election: LG chairman warns voters against violence
- Gov. Abiodun promises better relationship with students
- Gunmen kill 2 in Kaduna community
- Retired Nurse urges parents to allow their children to be de-wormed
- Enugu State Govt. trains 65 youths on tomatoes production technology —Official
- Gombe: NGO advocates stronger environmental laws to check indiscriminate felling of trees
- FG soon to direct public broadcasting outfits to priotise disability matters
- Umuahia armed robbery victim dies from gunshot wounds — Deceased’s brother
- Pregnancy: Gynaecologist stresses importance of ANC
- Global Fund: Health minister harps on 3 pillars for effective coordination
- CBN, Ekiti Govt. pledge to support NACOTAN for massive cotton production
- Nasarawa Govt. seeks stronger synergy with SWAN
- Gov. El-Rufai inaugurates Milk Farm Project for 1000 households
- Lafia specialist hospital to begin training of doctors on residency – CMD
- TCN restores supply after system collapse
- Coronation: Emir of Lafia tasks new traditional ruler on fairness, justice
- Prosecute perpetrators of violence, NMA charges members
- HIV: FG approves Omega Visitect CD4 Rapid Test Kit
- FG feeds 194,707 pupils in Enugu
- Buhari, First Lady counsel Garba Shehu’s son on patience in marriage
- New waterfront commissioner promises viability of Lagos waterways
- NIS inaugurates central store at headquarters
- LASEMA confirms building collapse, fire outbreak in Lagos
- Nasarawa speaker tasks community on unity, peaceful co-existence
- Kano State Fire Service gets Acting Director
- LASG calls for environmental protection, behavioural change
- CP parades 2 child traffickers, recovers 9 children in Enugu
- Japan’s suicide rate drops for 10th straight year to record low in 2019
- We will not tolerate personnel excesses in 2020 -Edo CP
- Human Trafficking: Omolola Ajayi arrives Abuja from Lebanon, handed over to NAPTIP
- 1.64m jobs created by manufacturing sector over time — MAN
- FRSC decorates 32 newly-promoted officers, marshals in Kogi
- London summit: ACFTA to top discussion as Adesina visits UK
- Ooni honours 100 Nigerian youth leaders
- Stakeholders seek more female scientists to promote STEM
- I will bequeath free, fair elections-Buhari
- China’s ZTE, local telecom firm start 5G technology trial in Uganda
- Nigeria should lead Africa on AGOA, says U.S.-based trade promoter
- 23-yr-old emerges best graduating student of JABU
- Multiple sexual partners increases risk of cervical cancer- NGO
- Former world’s shortest man from Nepal dies at 28
- President, Lagos Dance says, “dance, a viable tool for youth empowerment”
- Cambodia releases measures to curb, reduce air pollution
- MFM FC targets third away victory against Wikki Tourists
- Police confirm death a man in hotel
- 9ice marks 40th birthday in style
- EFCC arrests 6 over alleged internet fraud in Ilorin
- NUJ declares one week mourning for assassinated journalist
- Police nab 4 in connection with fight between two rival groups in Niger
- Onu solicits private sector support for methanol production in Nigeria
- N-Power: Plateau Govt. cautions citizens against fraudsters, fake portals
- NSE: Trading defies December inflation figure, index up 0.90%
- Gov. Oyetola wants experts in private sector to support Nigeria’s economy
- Commander charges 378 promoted FRSC officers to live above board
- Toyin Abraham eulogies husband on his birthday
- Akeredolu reiterates importance of NDDC forensic audit
- Benue govt. says negotiations on N30,000 minimum wage still ongoing
- PDP pledges to defend Nigeria democracy, institutions
- ‘Sugar Rush’ movie returns to cinema
- Don calls for Sharia Courts in South West
- 2 to die by hanging for murder in Osun
- FRSC tasks newly promoted officers on dedication, hard work
- We sag our trousers to keep in vogue – Youths
- Uzodinma appoints SSG, AG, CPS, others
- FRSC decorates 36 newly promoted officers in Bayelsa
- Abia Polytechnic to punish extortionists, says governing Council chairman
- Buhari departs Abuja for London ahead of UK-Africa Investment Summit
- Expert says vertical farming system preserves arable lands
- Ex-FUTO VC calls for upgrade of facilities in nation’s universities
- Lagos mass transit train: NRC to resume services soon – official
- NAMA begins calibration of landing aids at Lagos Airport
- Finance Act will reposition economy — Expert
- Xi meets Myanmar State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi
- Ore-Ijebu Ode-Sagamu accident preventable if… – FRSC Zonal Commander
- Insurgency: Nigeria takes delivery of fighter helicopters, gets more in February – AVM Abubakar
- Prices of local poultry produce will soon crash in spite of continued border closure – PAN
- Atiku proposes committee to review recent elections
- More funds, intervention will boost tourism sector, says NTDC boss
- Team Nigeria win 1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze medal at African Track Championship
- FG to boost national economy with methanol production
- Gowon Estate: Mosan/Okunola inaugurates new CDA officers, tasks them on devt
- Teenager docked for allegedly stealing conduit wire
- Expired products: NAFDAC advises Nigerians to be vigilant
- LASEMA rescues trapped victim from collapsed 3-storey building
- Enugu Judiciary honours former Chief Judge, late Justice Eze Ozobu
- Ekiti court dissolves 3-year-old marriage
- JOHESU branch lauds Obiano, CMD on improved welfare
- Sri Lanka lifts ban on drones
- LASCODA, LASPARK to plant 500,000 urban-friendly coconut seedlings
- Sen. Gyang lauds security agencies over aid workers’ release
- N166bn debt: Electricity Coy begins mass disconnection in 4 states
- Kwara Govt. expresses concern over condition of students hostels
- Regulating gas plants’ locations to reduce explosions
- Court affirms Uzo as Senator-elect Anambra South, dashes Uba’s hopes
- Plateau Nurses association urge Lalong to employ Nurse freed from Boko Haram captivity
- Police wades into crises rocking Gariki cattle market in Enugu
- Vaccination, best prevention against hepatitis–Virologist
- Farmer urges government to train, empower women in goat farming
- Niger Delta Ministry pledges to resume work on pending projects in Imo
- National Museum in Lagos recorded 39,061 visitors in 2019, says official
- Nigeria public debt stands at N26.2 trillion – DMO
- Global Fund: Health Minister Ehanire appointed Chair of coordinating mechanism
- FEATURE: Migration, governance and media reporting
- Ex-husband docked over alleged N250,000 pregnancy maintenance arrears
- Kwara Govt distributes computers to MDAs
- NAN gets new NUJ chairman
- Special polio immunisation: Enugu State Govt. targets 1 million children
- Alleged N3.6bn fraud: Judge’s absence stalls trial of ex NDDC boss
- We can perform better with supports from stakeholders, says ex-beauty queen
- Driver, 2 technicians arraigned over alleged stealing of goods worth N2.1m
- Plateau Govt. trains 128 health workers for effective delivery of mosquito treated nets
- Uzodinma is best thing to happen to Imo – Omegara
- Association says mining challenges can be overcome with political will
- FRSC condoles with Ore-Ijebu Ode-Sagamu accident victims
- Sultan says social-economic pressure causes farmer/herder crisis, not religion
- Blame INEC for Imo S/Court verdict – Esele
- Landlord docked for allegedly locking tenant out of apartment
- Brain Drain: Association calls for improved welfare for doctors
- Man in court over alleged car theft
- Bauchi Govt. to re-open abandoned museum to boost tourism
- Mechanic docked for allegedly stealing 2 goats
- Town Union to foot JAMB bill for 150 candidates of Anambra community
- Zulum appoints chairman, 12-member Borrno Healthcare Contributory Scheme
- Auto mechanic in court for allegedly defrauding customer of N130,000
- Adamawa to designate court for rape cases- Attorney General
- Teenager faces trial over alleged stealing, breach of peace
- Welder docked for allegedly stealing phone, N16,000 cash
- Kaduna govt. constitutes committee to collate data on Almajiris
- Buhari greets Chief Emeka Anyaoku at 87
- Scavenger docked over alleged theft of generator valued N25,000
- Man in court for allegedly beating wife to stupor
- U.S-based Imo indigenes react to Supreme Court verdict
- Plateau youths sack chairman over financial recklessness, abuse of office
- Commissioner seeks support for education in Kwara
- Akeredolu reconstitutes task force on farmers in govt’s forest reserves
- 4 men in court over alleged cultism
- Inflation rises to 11.98% in December–NBS
- Oyo farmers pray for early, stable rains
- Woman remanded for allegedly stabbing neighbour to death
- Immunisation: Nassarawa State Govt.engages traditional institution
- Man in court for allegedly stealing frozen chicken
- Wrestling Federation happy over Adekuoroye’s gold medal in Rome tournament
- FRSC decorates 34 newly-promoted officers in Anambra
- Akesan market: FG hands over building materials to Oyo govt.
- Fuel tanker burns in Onitsha again, no casualty – FRSC
- Exam malpractice: Kwara govt. to sanction delisted schools
- FG to site specialised agricultural market in Osun
- Obisesan assures aggrieved Oyo APC stakeholders of fairness
- Cash transfer : Beneficiaries in Oyo rural communities laud FG
- Comedy now one of Nigeria’s major exports – Shete
- Don urges lecturers to eschew acts inimical to university education
- FAAC: FG, states, LGs share N716.2bn for month of December
- VAT implementation takes effect Feb. 1– finance minister
- APGA leadership tussle: Justice has prevailed, says Njoku
- Gov. Abdulrazaq announces death of Oniyangi, prominent Kwara medical doctor
- Gov. Sule assures women of inclusive leadership
- Sagamu-Benin Expressway accident claims 9, three others injured
- Maritime key to economic development – Dangote
- Nigeria not ready for implementation of Eco Single Currency in 2020– Onyeama
- Gov. Wike approves payment of minimum wage to workers in Rivers
- Gunmen rob palm oil merchant of N1m in Umuahia
- NiMet predicts thunderstorms, haze condition for Friday
- Coker, ex-Queens’ College Principal’s death, big loss to education sector- Association
- NiMet to release 2020 rainfall prediction Jan. 21
- Police rescues 19 children from illegal orphanage in Kano
- FG set to replace fuel with Compressed Natural Gas to stop subsidy payment
- Sanwo-Olu reshuffles cabinet
- Hidden camera caught cleric defiling toddler – witness tells court
- FCT health workers resume emergency service
- British deputy high commissioner tasks Nigeria on quality investment
- EFCC to strengthen existing collaboration with NYSC
- Sylva optimistic PIB will be passed before May
- NGO identifies measures to curb drug abuse in Nigeria
- Gov’s wife urges parents, guardians to protect wards against child abuse
- FRSC promotes, decorates 35 officers
- Nasarawa Govt. to beef up security around unity schools
- Why I train health workers on skills acquisitions – MHWUN Chairman
- Stakeholders in Plateau meets over disasters management, mitigation