Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna state on Friday in Kaduna, urged youths to see peace building as a priority in the interest of societal development
El-Rufail made the call in Kaduna at the inauguration of the executive council of the National Youth Council of Nigeria (NYCN), Kaduna Chapter.
The governor said that peace building would engender the social inclusion of youths in leadership positions.
El-Rufai, who noted that the state needed unity, peace and social inclusion, urged youths to play pivotal roles in such process.
“Young people, youths and women suffer most from conflict and lack of peace, they are also the tools used to promote insecurity and disrupt peace,” he said.
The governor disclosed that the state government had evolved several entrepreneurship programmes aimed at boosting self reliance, especially among youths.
He said the intention of the programmes was also to assist industrious youths to start their businesses.
“We are doing this because everyone cannot be employed by government, there is need for us to provide the platforms and opportunities to convert ideas into money-yielding businesses.”
El-Rufai, who said that Nigeria’s future was in the hands of youths, also urged them to acquire knowledge and skills capable of helping them to lead the country.
“If youths dedicate themselves to quality education and are not careless with their health and particularly do not get attracted to drugs, they will achieve every of their potential.
“Not all businesses you start will succeed, some may fail but you can restart over and over because failures are lessons.
“As a government, we will support you no matter how many times you try and fail because sometimes it is that one success out of 10 failures that may make you great.”
Nathan Bagudu, National Chairman, NYCN, said that the body was the authoritative mouthpiece of Nigerian youths.
He said the youth body was directly under the supervision of the Federal Ministry of Youth & Sport Development.
Bagadu said Nigerian youths were ready to support government activities aimed at improving peoples’ living standard.
He urged the governor to support NYCN in its efforts to promote youth development across the country.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that El-rufai was decorated as a Grand Patron of body at the event.
Edited by Azubuike Okeh/Dada Ahmed
- Women groups rally support for Obaseki, Speaker in Edo
- Kano traffic agency bans long vehicles from offloading goods during the day
- Flood destroys 110 houses in Zamfara
- Kaduna attacks: Sen Sani urges concerted efforts by govt, security agencies
- Flooding: NEMA urges Jalingo residents to avoid settlement along riverine areas
- Zamfara APC Crisis: Court dissolves Zamfara executives, orders fresh congresses
- NBBF mourns former D’Tigers invitee, Ojo
- Adamawa Assembly approves Gov. Fintiri’s N550m Agric loan
- ACF urges FG to tackle killings, insecurity in southern Kaduna
- Insecurity: Umahi advises Buhari to retain service chiefs