Ikpeazu said this on Thursday during the launch of the 2019/2020 Abia Rice Farming Season in Okpotom-Bende of Bende Local Government Council.
The governor, who was represented by the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture, Mrs Uzoamaka Ikonne, said that increasing rice production would help to ensure food security in the state and the nation in general.
He urged rice farmers in the state to take advantage of state government’s programmes and policies to boost rice production.
According to him, gone are the days when farmers engaged in subsistence farming because Abia is promoting commercial farming.
“I charge the people of Abia not to depend on crude oil but see agriculture as the solution to unemployment challenges facing the nation.
“The present administration is passionate about agriculture, which is evident in its agricultural revolution through community-based oil palm development with planting of improved Tenera palm seedlings,” Ikpeazu said.
He assured rice farmers of the willingness of the present administration to improve agricultural production in the state.
In his speech, Mr Okechukwu Dike, the Co-ordinator of Abia Accelerated Rice Development Programme, said that Abia government had built a rice processing center in Uzuakoli as part of the efforts to boost rice production.
Dike said: “The processing center has produced and sold about twenty thousand bags of Abia rice, called ‘Osikapa Abia’, between January and July.
“The plans on ground concerning rice production will fast track the eradication of the importation and consumption foreign rice in two years time.
“I call on the state government to rehablitate the rice dam feeding the Bende rice field for all year round cultivation and increased yield.”
Also, Mr Ndudim Ikeluo, the Secretary of All Farmers Association of Nigeria, commended Abia government for its efforts in promoting agriculture.
Ikeluo expressed the hope that Abia would become a major rice producer in the nation in no distant time.
Earlier, Chief Christopher Akobundu, the Secretary of Rice Farmers Association of Nigeria, thanked the state government for identifying with rice farmers.
Akobundu expressed the readiness of rice farmers “to do more” and contribute to the socio-economic development of the state.
Highlights of the event included the planting of rice seedlings and presentation of improved rice seedlings and farm inputs to rice farmers.
- NIDCOM boss applauds Nigerian martial artist, Usman for retaining UFC title
- Sokoto Govt. disburses N6.5m for free treatment of needy patients
- NNPC declares N5.20b trading surplus in August
- Don tasks Journalists on strict adherence to ethics
- IPCR wins 2019 Human Rights Award
- AC Milan do everything but score in extraordinary 0-0 draw
- Why Bank of Agriculture is still in distress-Minister
- Restrictions of Keke Napep, most difficult decision -FCT minister
- Wolfsburg stun Gladbach with stoppage-time winner
- Brace for record-setting Ronaldo as Juventus beat Udinese
- 2019/2020 NPFL Match Day 8 Results
- Cleric cautions against taking God’s blessings for granted
- Border closure not breaching free trade agreement, FG says
- Expert wants establishment of mini grid system to address power supply challenges
- ¬ Ondo Assembly condoles with Mimiko over mother’s death
- Cleric tasks churches on security measures to check attacks
- Greater Lagos 2020 festival begins Dec. 25 – LASG
- Klopp says VAR has changed his touchline behaviour
- Patronise our national parks during the Yuletide — Conservator-General urges
- Osaka picks Belgian Fissette as new coach
- Buhari rejoices with ex-Gov. Ajimobi at 70
- Draws decided for FCT football league second round
- Sen. Tofowomo condoles with Mimiko over mother’s death
- Sanwo-Olu’s aides decry low production of coconuts in Badagry
- Support your husbands in securing Nigerians, Oyo CP urges POWA members
- Yuletide: Ex-Senate President Mark urges prayers for peace, progress
- Yuletide: Cleric cautions transporters against hiking transport fare
- Gov. Bello inaugurates N500m World Bank community micro projects in Kogi
- Impounded trucks: Iponri Police Station authorities adamant on illegal parking
- Emirate Council dismisses 2 District Heads for disloyalty in Kano state
- U.S-based Nigerian musician involved in accident to undergo another surgery
- Catholic Bishop of Lafia tasks Nigerians on God’s grace
- FMN to invest N34bn in host community development
- Suspension: Turkish Airlines pledges to freight leftover passengers baggage before Dec. 17
- Six DisCos may evade NERC’s sanction after complying with remittance directive
- Music Review: Reekado Banks puts out unimpressive remix to hit song, ‘Rora’
- Kano State Govt. names Kofar Mata flyover after Sheikh Qaribullah Nasiru Kabara
- Experts predict massive growth for Nigerian board game industry
- NAN BoxOffice Review: ‘Your Excellency’ is a bunch of Instagram skits, not a movie
- Taskforce set to remove illegal structures in Lekki from Dec. 21
- Gov. Ganduje promises to continue working for development of Kano state
- Catholic cleric preaches act of giving
- Niger urges residents to take ownership of urban policy
- Be mindful of who to engage as domestic personnel, ex-Police Affairs Minister cautions
- Okuomose, Otuadinma win at Best of the Best Taekwondo Championship
- Arsenal’s Tierney to undergo shoulder surgery, out for 3 months
- Club World Cup: Monterrey to face Liverpool after beating Al Sadd
- Runsewe commends NCAA over initial suspension of Turkish Airline
- FRSC Edo Sector gets new Commander
- Group tasks leaders, Nigerians on time consciousness