Gov. Simon Lalong of Plateau has directed total lockdown in the state with effect from 12 midnight of Thursday April 9 to 11p.m of Wednesday, April 15, 2020.
Lalong made the announcement in Jos on Monday at the Government House during a news briefing.
He said the lockdown was to enable government embark on fumigation in Jos-Bukuru metropolis and all the 17 Local Government Areas (LGAs) of the state.
“During this period, there will be no movement of any kind except for staff on essential duty.
He said government had purchased Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), monitors, infrared thermometers, oxygen and other essential drugs, adding that testing of COVID-19 would commence in Jos in a few days time.
“In line with the Federal Government directive, we propose to establish a 300 bed treatment center to be located at the Riyom General Hospital and the state National Youth Service Corp Orientation Camp,” he said.
The governor said that the state recorded 48 suspected cases which were all found negative while 25 were discharged from self isolation and eight still under surveillance.
He said the state in collaboration with partners and the federal government, was making efforts to address challenges arising from COVID-19 in the state and provision of palliatives for indigents.
Lalong appreciated organisations like Grand Cereals, the United Bank of Africa (UBA), NASCO Group of Companies and Mee Palace for their various contributions of food stuff, hand sanitisers and enlightenment materials among others to the state to control the spread of the virus.
He also commended individuals who were using the COVID-19 Plateau platform in reporting incidence directly to the situation room, saying it has enabled government to take timely action.
Edited By: Fela Fashoro/Ali Baba-Inuwa
- LCCI seeks regional collaboration on agriculture
- Body of ex-Edo Commissioner recovered 14 days after abduction
- Russian COVID-19 cases exceed 390,000
- Police parade fake soldier in Jos
- Stockbrokers urge Nigerians to support FG’s growth plan through Sukuk
- Anniversary: Delta Speaker salutes Gov. Okowa
- Anniversary:Gov. Mohammed attributes succes of his administration to robust relationship with Federal Government
- Sudan summons Ethiopian charge d’affaires in protest over army-backed cross-border attack
- Benue LG polls: Observers attribute low turn out to COVID-19
- COVID-19 won’t truncate Nigeria’s electoral process – INEC
- Legal practitioner seeks employment for youths to boost economy
- Serbian president satisfied with progress in Belgrade-Budapest railway construction
- Indian states ban consumption, spitting of tobacco in public places to prevent COVID-19
- COVID-19: UNIPORT begins mass production of face mask, hand sanitizers
- Kwara Muslim Council tasks Gov. AbdulRazaq to consolidate 1-year achievements
- Police arrest 16 suspects over kidnapping, armed robbery, others
- Air India Delhi-Moscow plane called back as pilot found COVID-19 positive
- Anniversary: APGA applauds Zamfara Govt for tackling insecurity
- La Liga clubs free to start full training from Monday
- COVID-19 deaths in Netherlands rise by 20