Gov. Abdullahi Sule of Nasarawa State has urged the National Boundary Commission (NBC), to intervene toward resolving the lingering border dispute between two communities in Awe Local Government Area of the state.
The governor sought the intervention on Wednesday in Lafia when a delegation of the commission visited him.
The delegation was led by the NBC member representing the North-Central zone, Alhaji Mohammed Liman.
“Nasarawa State remains one of the most peaceful in the country, but this local dispute has lingered for too long; we want resolve it as quickly as possible,” he said.
Sule urged the NBC members to deploy their experience into proffering a solution to the dispute, urging representatives of the state to bring up the matter during the meeting between the commission and the state boundary committee.
“I hate a situation where communities have to go to court to settle issues when they live within the same community. Court decisions cannot bring the needed mutual affection,” he said.
Earlier, leader of the delegation, Alhaji Liman, had said that officials of the commission were in Lafia to dialogue with the state boundary committee toward resollving lingering border disputes.
“We want to see where we can intervene so as to ensure peaceful coexistence and clear border demarcations.
“Available reports show that Nasarawa State is one of the most peaceful states in the country; we do not want anything to tamper with that,” he said.
He said that Lafia, the Nasarawa State capital, had been chosen to host the forthcoming zonal Inter Boundary Committee interactive session where vital boundary issues would be discussed.
The NBC board member congratulated the governor on his victory at the polls, describing his election as ‘well deserved’.
Liman was accompanied on the visit by members of the Nasarawa State Boundary Committee, including the state’s Surveyor General, Mr Yusuf Awuya.
- Okuomose, Otuadinma win at Best of the Best Taekwondo Championship
- Arsenal’s Tierney to undergo shoulder surgery, out for 3 months
- Club World Cup: Monterrey to face Liverpool after beating Al Sadd
- Runsewe commends NCAA over initial suspension of Turkish Airline
- FRSC Edo Sector gets new Commander
- Group tasks leaders, Nigerians on time consciousness
- Cries about negative impact of border closure sponsored-Sen. Adamu
- Bankers committee earmarks N20bn to maintain national theatre
- Institute calls on govts. to allow INEC conduct local govt. elections
- Kwara Deputy Gov urges OGS old students to give back to Alma Mater
- Presidential aide criticises work done on Calabar-Itu highway by contractor
- Armed Forces College graduates 176 junior officers
- Osinbajo tasks clergy on writing to provide guidance, direction
- Why CBN must transfer Anchor Borrowers Programme to Agric Ministry – Sen. Adamu
- La Liga: Leaders FC Barcelona stumble to draw at Real Sociedad
- Sun Publishing Limited wants Justice Minister’s intervention as EFCC threatens to seal headquarters
- APC remains strong, intact in Zamfara — Yari
- Bournemouth stun Chelsea 1-0 away to end losing streak
- Group advocates women empowerment to check gender-based violence
- Lawmaker condoles with Mimiko, says mother death, great loss to Ondo
- 2 NGOs collaborate to clean up Lagos for healthy environment
- Buhari tasks universities on IGR for sustainable education
- Arts, cultural exchange strengthen relationships between countries – Emirati Artist
- Ismael, Akuso win maiden Ikogosi-Ekiti 10-km race
- CITN confers fellowship on 329, calls for professionalism
- NANS commends Gov. Oyetola for tackling youth unemployment in Osun
- Gov. AbdulRazaq reiterates commitment to Kwara’s socio-economic growth
- Bayern Munich batter Werder Bremen as Borussia Dortmund dominate Mainz
- Akeredolu condoles with Mimiko over mother’s death
- Ogun lawmaker donates equipment to health facilities in constituency
- Inclusive education: Stakeholders urge training of more special teachers
- Ethiopian Airlines to launch 3 weekly flights to Houston Monday
- Shareholders seek more mergers, acquisitions in cement industry
- Golf: U.S. fight back to leave Presidents Cup in the balance
- Salah scores twice as Liverpool sink struggling Watford
- Yuletide: Enugu FRSC seeks collaboration with state traffic agency
- Eko Disco records highest remittance efficiency in Q2, says NERC
- Doctors map out measures to forestall litigations over management of patients’ ailments
- Osinbajo in Ikenne, celebrates Otunba Adesina at 80
- Group wants Nigerians to imbibe waste management culture, recycling
- FG pledges to enhance operations of River Basin Development Authorities in 2020
- Soldiers clean up Ojuelegba axis of Lagos to enhance civilian/military relations
- Enugu hospital turns to pilgrimage ground as residents catch glimpse of quadruplets
- Poor Salary: Kaduna joint tertiary institution unions shelve planned strike
- NIMASA chief urges regular exercise to stay healthy, enhance productivity
- Expert urges Nigerians to imbibe savings culture
- Navy employs weight control mechanism to promote fitness
- Exhibit more political will in tackling nation’s security challenges, Cleric advises FG
- Gospel singer charges youths to start small, be humble
- Yuletide: Curfew, ban of fireworks still effective in Borno -Police