Gov. Inuwa Yahaya of Gombe State has approved the release of N500 million counterpart funds for gully erosion control project under the Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management Project (NEWMAP).
Mr Ismaila Misilli, Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity to the Governor, made the disclosure in a statement in Gombe on Thursday.
Misilli stated that the payment would help in accessing funds from the World Bank and facilitate the process of addressing gully erosion problems in the short term.
He listed areas ravaged by gully erosion in Gombe metropolis to include the State University, Federal College of Education (Technical) and East of Gombe International Hotel.
He said other areas outside of the state capital were also affected by erosion,adding that measures aimed at addressing the problem had been approved by the World Bank.
Meanwhile, Gombe State’s NEWMAP Project Coordinator, Malam Mohammed Garba, said detailed engineering work had commenced on the projects.
He added that the establishment of wood lot – orchard plantation,which is a component of the project, is underway in nine local government areas of the state.
Edited by Mustapha Lamidi
- Bayelsa Poll: NGO decries tense political atmosphere, sues for restraint
- Adamawa government sacks polytechnic staff
- Bishop commends Gov. El-Rufai for stopping demolition of 110-year-old Church
- Trump open to deal with democrats over Obama’s DACA programme
- Minister tasks Defence Attachés on new security challenges
- 25th Anniversary: Sweet Sensation will improve on ‘Feeding the Hungry’ programme, says MD
- NYSC appeals to Kano State Govt over dilapidated orientation camp road
- Police Commission deploys 45 monitors for Kogi, Bayelsa elections
- Russia, Somalia recommit to jointly combating terrorism – Foreign ministry
- Gombe assembly impeaches deputy speaker
- CONMESS: COOUTH doctors have no need to embark on strike — Anambra Govt
- Fire guts a section of Niger Government House
- Ogun : Road traffic crashes claim 301 lives in 10 months – FRSC
- Rivers: Youth Leader wants probe of 28 NDDC contracts abandoned in Andoni LGA
- Regular training remains critical to Nigerian Army’s constitutional role–Buratai
- Senate appeals to FG to ban importation of textile for 5 years
- Expert cautions women on choice of Brassiers
- Man, 34, jailed six months in Osun for theft, assault
- Reps call for policies to facilitate investments in gold mining
- NGO tasks communities on intercultural, interreligious harmony