Connect with us

Judiciary

”Grant my wife’s divorce prayer, she wants me dead,” man tells court

Published

on

A businessman, Mr Wahab Lukmon, on Thursday prayed an Egbe-Idumu Customary Court to grant his wife, Olabisi’s request for divorce because she wants him dead.

Olabisi, sought the dissolution of their marriage, accusing Lukmon of not taking care of her children.

Foreign

Namibia to introduce more refined basic income grant

Published

on

By

Namibian President Hage Geingob on Thursday said his government will introduce a more refined basic income grant for Namibians as a way of dealing with poverty challenges.

Geingob told parliament that the basic income grant will replace the food bank and aim to sustain Namibians under a challenging economic situation.

“The delivery of residential erven has been prioritized but the national housing backlog remains above 300,000. I am cognisant that despite these milestones we need to continue prioritizing housing development. Although the bucket toilet system has not completely been dealt with, we have severely reduced it by 70 percent,” he said.

He said the country will continue to provide more funding to social safety nets as well as catering for the marginalized.

Geingob said Namibia, South Africa and Botswana are among of the very few countries in Africa that have managed to sustain the provision of old-age grants as well as providing a social safety net.

“Namibia has spent more than 9 billion Namibian dollars (about 533 million U.S. dollars) in the past financial year addressing challenges faced by society and dealing with the challenges of poverty and inequality,” Geingob said.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Banking

Benue Assembly grants Ortom’s request to obtain N2.5bn loan for healthcare

Published

on

Benue House of Assembly has approved Gov. Samuel Ortom’s request to obtain a Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) loan facility of N2.5 billion for healthcare delivery upgrade in the state.

The approval followed a correspondence sent to the house by the governor and read during plenary on Thursday.

In the letter, Ortom informed the house that the CBN had introduced a health sector intervention fund to finance the building and expansion of healthcare facilities and acquisition of medical equipment across all states of Nigeria.

He pointed out that the global healthcare system had been overstretched by the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic with the developed countries struggling to cope with the magnitude of the crisis.

The governor stated that the healthcare system in the state needed to be repositioned for a post COVID-19 delivery system that could effectively handle cases of infectious diseases across the state.

He informed the house that Access Bank PLC, as a participating money deposit bank, had submitted an offer for a facility of N2.5 billion at five per cent interest rate.

The governor further said the loan was with a 12 months moratorium and thereafter at nine per cent interest rate and 0.5 per cent management fee.

“The facility is offered at concessionary rate with a maximum tenure of 10 years,” Ortom added.

He urged the house to grant his request to access the N2.5 billion loan, saying that the CBN intervention fund was in the public interest.

The governor said its purpose was consistent with his administration’s vision for a healthcare delivery system that completely met the needs of Benue people.


Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Ejike Obeta (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Global environment body grants Zambia 6 million USD for climate-resilient projects

Published

on

By

The Global Environment Facility has given Zambia a grant aimed at helping the country build resilience in areas prone to negative effects of climate change, a government official said on Wednesday.

Minister of Lands and Natural Resources Jean Kapata said the grant of 6,185,000 U.S. dollars has been given following the approval of Zambia’s proposal.

She said the government has been working with the global environment body since 2017 for the project called Building the Resilience of Local Communities in Zambia through the introduction of Ecosystem-based adaptation and that the approval of the proposal was a step in the right direction.

The project, she said, involves building the capacity of communities living in wetlands and forests to respond to negative effects of climate change.

“The project proposal was aimed at mobilizing funds for the sustainable management of wetlands and strengthening communities to be resilient to the impact of climate change,” she told reporters during a press briefing.

The Green Environment Facility will serve as the implementing agency of this project, she added.

According to her, the project will also address the climate change vulnerability of ecosystems in rural communities, with the aim of reducing the vulnerability.

This, she noted, will be achieved by strengthening the capacity of government and supporting rural communities living in wetlands and forests to adapt to climate change effects.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Bulgaria catches 9 illegal immigrants in refrigerator van

Published

on

By

Bulgaria has intercepted nine illegal immigrants hidden in a refrigerator truck at a parking lot near the western city of Vidin bordering Romania, the Interior Ministry said Wednesday.

The immigrants were found Tuesday night after the truck driver heard banging in the refrigerated trailer, the ministry said.

Police arrived immediately and found that the seal of the trailer carrying watermelons was broken and nine foreigners were hiding inside.

The foreigners, including seven men, a woman and a 16-year-old boy, said they were from Afghanistan. Three of them were treated at a local hospital, but their lives were not in danger, the ministry said, adding an investigation is underway.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Migrants demand “freedom” at Malta’s Marsa detention center

Published

on

By

Police were called in on Tuesday to help quell a protest at one of Malta’s detention centers where hundreds of migrants were demanding “freedom.”

The protest, which lasted from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m., was kept under control. No major incidents were reported.

The migrants held at a detention center in the harbor village of Marsa waved towels, banged on windows and chanted “We want freedom.”

One migrant climbed the fence and jumped into a nearby canal. He was immediately captured by the police and taken to hospital. The situation seemed to escalate during the rescue because he resisted and the migrants inside the center began insulting the police and tried to force open the main gate.

However, the situation was soon brought under control. A police spokesman told Xinhua that only the person who tried to flee was arrested and that the intervention of the riot police squad was not required.

In April, a similar protest took place at the Marsa detention center.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Alleged cheating: Court grants businessman N800,000 bail

Published

on

An Upper Area Court in Gwagwalada, FCT, on Monday, admitted a businessman, Awwal Nasir, to bail in the sum of N800,000 bail for criminal breach of trust, pending report of settlement.

The Judge, Sani Umar, admitted Nasir after he pleaded guilty to the two counts of  breach of trust and cheating preferred against him.

Umar ordered the defendant to produce one reasonable and reliable surety in like sum.

Umar ordered that if the defendant failed to meet the bail conditions, he would  be remanded in police custody.

He adjourned the matter until  July 1, for hearing and report of settlement.

 

Earlier, Nasir said:” I know am owing him and I promise to pay him. I collected the power bike but was not able to pay at the agreed time because I had an accident and was hospitalised for months.

Mr I.A. Aliyu, the Prosecution Counsel, Sadiq Yuguda , told the court that sometime in November 2019,the complainant  sold a Suzuki power bike at the agreed sum of N750,000 to the defendant.

He said that based on the understanding between the two parties the defendant was allowed to test-drive the motorcycle to confirm if it was in good condition at the time of sale.

Aliyu said that the defendant informed the complainant that he had no money to pay but would go home and source for money and come back to pay that same day.

He added that upon the intervention of a mutual friend of both parties, the defendant was allowed to go with the motorcycle without paying the agreed amount.

The prosecution counsel said that the defendant failed to pay the complainant.

The offence, he said, contravened the provisions of sections 312 and 322 of the Penal Code.


Edited By: Bayo Sekoni/Sadiya Hamza (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

EU condemns killing of migrants in Libya

Published

on

By

The European Union (EU) Delegation and EU Member State Heads of Mission to Libya on Saturday condemned the killing of dozens of migrants in western Libya.

The European Union Delegation and EU Member State Heads of Mission condemn the murder of 30 trafficked migrants, mostly Bangladeshi nationals, on May 27 in Mezda which also resulted in others wounded,” a joint statement said.

The attack, which occurred at the town of Mezda, some 180 km southwest of the capital Tripoli, was reportedly a revenge by the family of a Libyan smuggler who has been murdered by migrants.

“We remain committed to continuing our support to the authorities in strengthening their rule of law capacities so to allow them to counter criminal networks such as the one responsible for this crime and to maximize our assistance to Libyan communities impacted by the trafficking and smuggling of migrants,” the statement said.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

UN calls for investigation into killing of 30 migrants in Libya

Published

on

UN Humanitarian Coordinator for Libya, Yacoub El-Hillo, on Friday called for an investigation into the killing of 30 migrants in western Libya.

“I am shocked by the horrific reports about Wednesday’s shooting at a smuggling warehouse in Mezda, killing 30 migrants and injuring 11 others,’’ El- Hillo said in a statement.

The attack, which occurred at the town of Mezda, some 180 kilometres southwest of the capital Tripoli, was reportedly a revenge by the family of a Libyan smuggler, who has been murdered by migrants.

“Authorities, with influence on the ground in the area where this incident took place, have the responsibility to ensure that human smugglers and traffickers are not allowed to continue with their inhuman and degrading acts,’’ the UN official said.

The official added that “such a heinous and merciless crime against helpless individuals should be investigated immediately and those responsible must be brought to justice’’.

“Those responsible for the attack must be held accountable.

“The impunity, with which smugglers and traffickers operate in Libya, must be brought to an immediate stop,’’ he urged.

On Thursday, the UN-backed government confirmed that its Interior Ministry had issued an instruction for Mezda’s security directorate to arrest those responsible for the incident.

The UN estimated that more than 654,000 migrants and refugees are living in Libya and many of them face arbitrary detention, gender-based violence, forced labour, extortion and exploitation.

Smugglers exploited chaos and insecurity in the country to send thousands of migrants through the Mediterranean Sea towards European shores.

AIB

Edited By: Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

UN calls for investigation into killing of 30 migrants in Libya

Published

on

By

UN Humanitarian Coordinator for Libya Yacoub El Hillo on Friday called for an investigation into the killing of 30 migrants in western Libya.

“I am shocked by the horrific reports about Wednesday’s shooting at a smuggling warehouse in Mezda killing 30 migrants and injuring 11 others,” El Hillo said in a statement.

The attack, which occured at the town of Mezda, some 180 km southwest of the capital Tripoli, was reportedly a revenge by the family of a Libyan smuggler who has been murdered by migrants.

“Authorities with influence on the ground in the area where this incident took place have the responsibility to ensure that human smugglers and traffickers are not allowed to continue with their inhuman and degrading acts,” the UN official said, adding “such a heinous and merciless crime against helpless individuals should be investigated immediately and those responsible must be brought to justice.”

“Those responsible for the attack must be held accountable. The impunity with which smugglers and traffickers operate in Libya must be brought to an immediate stop,” he urged.

On Thursday, the UN-backed government confirmed that its interior ministry had issued an instruction for Mezda’s security directorate to arrest those responsible for the incident.

The UN estimated that more than 654,000 migrants and refugees are living in Libya, and many of them face arbitrary detention, gender-based violence, forced labor, extortion and exploitation.

Smugglers exploited chaos and insecurity in the country to send thousands of migrants through the Mediterranean Sea towards European shores.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also