Badminton stakeholders and veterans, have called for a well structured national badminton league to discover and groom more players for the national teams.
Dr Nasir Idris, President of Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT), and a badminton veteran, said this on Sunday, at the end of the 2019 Kauran Gwandu Badminton Championship, held at the indoor sports hall of the Moshood Abiola National Stadium, Abuja.
“We organised this competition to bring retired and veteran players together so that we can promote the game of badminton in the country.
“We have about 33 teams from various states of the federation participating in the competition,” he said.
Idris said he would be discussing with the Badminton Federation of Nigeria on how to further grow the game and organise a sustainable badminton national league in the country.
Earlier, Mr Olufemi Davies, Chairman, All Stars Badminton, Nigeria, said the competition was an avenue for veterans to discuss and mentor younger ones.
Davies stressed the need for sponsorship for badminton competitions and grassroots development across the country to discover new talents for Nigeria.
“We are considering how to bring in a badminton league, which is very important and we shall get there very soon.
“It is a pity that a lot of corporate bodies just associate with football, we want more of them to come into badminton, so that we can further develop the game,” he said.
Samson Egbeyemi, former African champion and number 53 world ranked player (1983), also called for more corporate and technical support for the development of the game in Nigeria.
NAN reports that the competition, which is in its second edition, had veterans and clubs from all over the country competing and winning medals and trophies in various categories.
Edited & Vetted By: Mustapha Sumaila/Nyisom Fiyigon Dore
- NIDCOM boss applauds Nigerian martial artist, Usman for retaining UFC title
- Sokoto Govt. disburses N6.5m for free treatment of needy patients
- NNPC declares N5.20b trading surplus in August
- Don tasks Journalists on strict adherence to ethics
- IPCR wins 2019 Human Rights Award
- AC Milan do everything but score in extraordinary 0-0 draw
- Why Bank of Agriculture is still in distress-Minister
- Restrictions of Keke Napep, most difficult decision -FCT minister
- Wolfsburg stun Gladbach with stoppage-time winner
- Brace for record-setting Ronaldo as Juventus beat Udinese
- 2019/2020 NPFL Match Day 8 Results
- Cleric cautions against taking God’s blessings for granted
- Border closure not breaching free trade agreement, FG says
- Expert wants establishment of mini grid system to address power supply challenges
- ¬ Ondo Assembly condoles with Mimiko over mother’s death
- Cleric tasks churches on security measures to check attacks
- Greater Lagos 2020 festival begins Dec. 25 – LASG
- Klopp says VAR has changed his touchline behaviour
- Patronise our national parks during the Yuletide — Conservator-General urges
- Osaka picks Belgian Fissette as new coach
- Buhari rejoices with ex-Gov. Ajimobi at 70
- Draws decided for FCT football league second round
- Sen. Tofowomo condoles with Mimiko over mother’s death
- Sanwo-Olu’s aides decry low production of coconuts in Badagry
- Support your husbands in securing Nigerians, Oyo CP urges POWA members
- Yuletide: Ex-Senate President Mark urges prayers for peace, progress
- Yuletide: Cleric cautions transporters against hiking transport fare
- Gov. Bello inaugurates N500m World Bank community micro projects in Kogi
- Impounded trucks: Iponri Police Station authorities adamant on illegal parking
- Emirate Council dismisses 2 District Heads for disloyalty in Kano state
- U.S-based Nigerian musician involved in accident to undergo another surgery
- Catholic Bishop of Lafia tasks Nigerians on God’s grace
- FMN to invest N34bn in host community development
- Suspension: Turkish Airlines pledges to freight leftover passengers baggage before Dec. 17
- Six DisCos may evade NERC’s sanction after complying with remittance directive
- Music Review: Reekado Banks puts out unimpressive remix to hit song, ‘Rora’
- Kano State Govt. names Kofar Mata flyover after Sheikh Qaribullah Nasiru Kabara
- Experts predict massive growth for Nigerian board game industry
- NAN BoxOffice Review: ‘Your Excellency’ is a bunch of Instagram skits, not a movie
- Taskforce set to remove illegal structures in Lekki from Dec. 21
- Gov. Ganduje promises to continue working for development of Kano state
- Catholic cleric preaches act of giving
- Niger urges residents to take ownership of urban policy
- Be mindful of who to engage as domestic personnel, ex-Police Affairs Minister cautions
- Okuomose, Otuadinma win at Best of the Best Taekwondo Championship
- Arsenal’s Tierney to undergo shoulder surgery, out for 3 months
- Club World Cup: Monterrey to face Liverpool after beating Al Sadd
- Runsewe commends NCAA over initial suspension of Turkish Airline
- FRSC Edo Sector gets new Commander
- Group tasks leaders, Nigerians on time consciousness