With the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA), clearing Iponri Bust Stop on Funso Williams Avenue, Lagos of the indiscriminately parked articulated vehicles impounded by traffic management agencies, motorists on the route say they are now relieved of the daily gridlock on the road.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that the Police, LASTMA and other agencies had turned Iponri Bus Stop in Surulere, Lagos, into a junkyard for vehicles they impounded which created severe problems for motorists and commuters.
Mr Tokunbo Oladele, a driver plying Costain-Lawanson route, told that he was happy seeing the corridor cleared of the impounded articulated vehicles by LASTMA.
Oladele said that the vehicles had been a barrier to the free-flow of traffic for motorists, especially to the commercial motorists plying the corridor.
“The evacuation is a great development and relieves us of the daily lockjam along the corridor.
“We thank the government for coming to our aid by putting an end to the re-routing of traffic on the corridor.
Mr Ayoola Wahab, also a driver, said that the evacuation of the trucks would enhance the free-flow of traffic at the bus stop, especially at present when work was ongoing at the Costain bridge.
“I am happy for the recent clearing of the vehicles on the road, especially when construction of Costain bus stop is ongoing, it makes the road free and makes journey faster,’’ he added.
A LASTMA official at Iponri area office who spoke to under anonymity, said the trucks were cleared by the recent directive from the head office.
“We were asked to removed them as instructed and we have done that and as you can see the traffic is flowing well,’’ he said.
reports that the parking has narrowed the two-lane road to a single lane on both sides, worsening the traffic logjam at Costain Bus Stop, especially in the rush hours of the morning.
(Editing by Peter Ejiofor)
- FMC Yenagoa marks 20th anniversary with free medical outreach for host community
- Anambra: Ojukwu varsity inducts 47 doctors, as Obiasor carts home 12 awards
- NNPC set to take measures to curb oil theft
- Gov. Ishaku tasks state governments on Human Rights promotion
- International Human Rights Day: U.S. Consulate urges empowerment of local leaders empowerment to protect citizens rights
- National security: Air Chief assures best training for NAF personnel
- Abuse: Create platforms for students to rate lecturers anonymously- Gender Activist
- DMO clarifies Nigeria’s external debt
- 35 land grabbing cases pending in Lagos courts – attorney-general
- LSFVCB arrests 30 sellers of pirated films
- Don calls for integration of orature into universities curriculum
- Lagos courts to go digital in 2020 — AG
- Anchor Borrowers:CBN tasks cotton farmers on prompt repayment of agric loans
- ICMPD to train 500 teacher-trainers on mainstreaming trafficking in persons into NCE
- College of Insurance partners international organisations to boost status
- Hate speech: NBC urges FG to promote news literacy, professional journalism
- Improve capacity building in medical image analysis, computer vision- Expert
- Jigawa, Kaduna, Delta tops 2018 states budget transparency – Report
- Swedish envoy urges strategic action, awareness creation against gender-based violence
- N80 bn budget for 23 Kaduna LGAs scales 2nd reading
- Nigeria supports global efforts on elimination of Nuclear weapons
- Yuletide: Stop using fake, substandard tyres to avoid road crashes- Olagunju
- NDLEA destroys 11,669 kg of illicit drugs worth N1.65bn in Nasarawa
- British Council presents development grants to women groups in Adamawa
- UN wants Somali youth to promote human rights protection for stability
- Institute solicits FG’s support to provide detailed survey, soil resources mapping
- Boris Johnson under fire as health survey finds many die in emergency wait
- 4 Brigade Troops arrest 5 for suspected murder, armed robbery
- Russian separatists in Ukraine signal support for peace deal
- Minister expresses concern over human trafficking
- Experts advocate mental health therapy for GBV victims
- Yuletide: Oyeyemi warns transport unions against overloading, speeding
- Israel reaffirms commitment to partnering Nigeria on agric technology, entrepreneurship devt
- Promote rule of law over self interest, Oyo Speaker urges lawyers
- Berlin declares emergency in climate
- Emir of Karaye lauds NMA over contribution to community health
- Nigeria Immigration Service Deputy CG, Anene, retires
- SWAN commends Gov. Abdulrazaq over baseball park renovation
- Germany working on defense system to protect airports from drones
- Buhari calls for multilateral approach to combat terrorism
- NECO: EFCC arrests vice-principal, 2 others over exam malpractice in Ilorin
- No reprieve for Hungary in EU grilling over rule of law concerns
- Without convergence, single currency will be catastrophic – ECOWAS Commission President
- Forgive me, Fayose begs aggrieved PDP members
- $22.7 loan request meant for infrastructure- FG
- A’Ibom 2020 budget: Group says N4bn for education “too paltry”
- Katsina state govt. establishes 5 new irrigation schemes
- Sudan: Al-Bashir questioned over 1989 coup that brought him to power
- FG launches N46.83bn agric. scheme in 9 oil producing states
- Zambia gov’t says ready for talks to abolish death penalty