An advocacy group, the Sexual and Gender Violence Referral Team (DSGVRT) and the Delta Government have expressed willingness to partner in the fight against gender-based violence in the state.
The Alternative Chairman of DSGVRT, Bridget Anyafulu, stated this during a courtesy visit to Mrs Omatsola Williams, the state Commissioner for Women Affairs, Community and Social Development on Thursday in Asaba.
Anyafulu noted that sustained advocacy against gender violence would help to curb the menace and appealed to relevant stakeholders for partnership with the team in its efforts against the menace.
According to her, gender-based violence is not just about an older man molesting or harassing a young woman.
The DSGVRT alternate chairman said it could also be termed gender violence when a woman locked her husband up in the house for not giving her money for food, for instance.
In her response, the commissioner noted that synergy among critical stakeholders was very vital in the fight against gender-based violence in the state.
She decried the increase in sexual abuse cases in the state, adding that some parents had failed in providing sex educating to their children.
“In recent times, the quest for sexual atrocity has increased because parents have neglected their duties.
“Many parents have failed their children in this direction and this is because when children are getting to maturity, they ought to be adequately educated.
“They must be taught maturity, the various advantages and disadvantages of the stage that are ahead of them.
Williams said it was never a taboo for parents to constantly talk to their children and wards about maturity saying: “doing so will go a long way in reducing the crave for wealth.”
She also emphasised that the unholy quest for materialism had increased the level of gender-based violence.
“The rate of sexual abuse is alarming; the idea of sleeping with underage people for money rituals has led to total destruction of society.
“We can only reduce violence if we have good values; it is only then that sanity can be achieved,” she stated
- Brace for record-setting Ronaldo as Juventus beat Udinese
- 2019/2020 NPFL Match Day 8 Results
- Cleric cautions against taking God’s blessings for granted
- Border closure not breaching free trade agreement, FG says
- Expert wants establishment of mini grid system to address power supply challenges
- ¬ Ondo Assembly condoles with Mimiko over mother’s death
- Cleric tasks churches on security measures to check attacks
- Greater Lagos 2020 festival begins Dec. 25 – LASG
- Klopp says VAR has changed his touchline behaviour
- Patronise our national parks during the Yuletide — Conservator-General urges
- Osaka picks Belgian Fissette as new coach
- Buhari rejoices with ex-Gov. Ajimobi at 70
- Draws decided for FCT football league second round
- Sen. Tofowomo condoles with Mimiko over mother’s death
- Sanwo-Olu’s aides decry low production of coconuts in Badagry
- Support your husbands in securing Nigerians, Oyo CP urges POWA members
- Yuletide: Ex-Senate President Mark urges prayers for peace, progress
- Yuletide: Cleric cautions transporters against hiking transport fare
- Gov. Bello inaugurates N500m World Bank community micro projects in Kogi
- Impounded trucks: Iponri Police Station authorities adamant on illegal parking
- Emirate Council dismisses 2 District Heads for disloyalty in Kano state
- U.S-based Nigerian musician involved in accident to undergo another surgery
- Catholic Bishop of Lafia tasks Nigerians on God’s grace
- FMN to invest N34bn in host community development
- Suspension: Turkish Airlines pledges to freight leftover passengers baggage before Dec. 17
- Six DisCos may evade NERC’s sanction after complying with remittance directive
- Music Review: Reekado Banks puts out unimpressive remix to hit song, ‘Rora’
- Kano State Govt. names Kofar Mata flyover after Sheikh Qaribullah Nasiru Kabara
- Experts predict massive growth for Nigerian board game industry
- NAN BoxOffice Review: ‘Your Excellency’ is a bunch of Instagram skits, not a movie
- Taskforce set to remove illegal structures in Lekki from Dec. 21
- Gov. Ganduje promises to continue working for development of Kano state
- Catholic cleric preaches act of giving
- Niger urges residents to take ownership of urban policy
- Be mindful of who to engage as domestic personnel, ex-Police Affairs Minister cautions
- Okuomose, Otuadinma win at Best of the Best Taekwondo Championship
- Arsenal’s Tierney to undergo shoulder surgery, out for 3 months
- Club World Cup: Monterrey to face Liverpool after beating Al Sadd
- Runsewe commends NCAA over initial suspension of Turkish Airline
- FRSC Edo Sector gets new Commander
- Group tasks leaders, Nigerians on time consciousness
- Cries about negative impact of border closure sponsored-Sen. Adamu
- Bankers committee earmarks N20bn to maintain national theatre
- Institute calls on govts. to allow INEC conduct local govt. elections
- Kwara Deputy Gov urges OGS old students to give back to Alma Mater
- Presidential aide criticises work done on Calabar-Itu highway by contractor
- Armed Forces College graduates 176 junior officers
- Osinbajo tasks clergy on writing to provide guidance, direction
- Why CBN must transfer Anchor Borrowers Programme to Agric Ministry – Sen. Adamu
- La Liga: Leaders FC Barcelona stumble to draw at Real Sociedad