A Non-Governmental Organisation, the Voters Awareness Initiative, on Friday urged Nigerians to continue trusting in the nation’s electoral process in spite of some reported hitches experience during the just-concluded Presidential and National Assembly elections.
He enjoined Nigerians not to give in to apathy as a result of the challenges of the Feb. 23, but to massively exercise their franchise during the rescheduled Governorship and House of Assembly Elections slated for March 9.
“We should be ready to go out to vote on March 9 to vote according to the dictates of our conscience and embrace peace ahead of the gubernatorial and state assembly elections,” he said.
Ogunade noted that the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar’s desire to contest the outcome of the presidential election in court was an indication that democracy was at work in the country.
“The presidential election has come and gone; a winner has emerged with the closest rival is saying he will be contesting the results by going to the court.
“Such move shows that he is a democrat; he has even urged his supporters to allow peace to reign. We need to commend him for that and maintain calm.
“Fortunately, the judicial process is no longer as cumbersome as it used to be as the issue in contention can be concluded within 180 days.
“To me, this is democracy at work and I urge Nigerians to support the country’s development.
“We pray that the judicial process will be followed to a logical conclusion so that Nigeria will be better for it at the end,” Ogunade said. (NNN)
Edited by Kevin Okunzuwa/Julius Toba-Jegede
- Gambari appeals to govt. to provide enabling environment for affordable housing
- Ugandan Nakalembe wins opening round at Nigeria Ladies Open Golf Championship
- Imo NDLEA confirms arrest of alleged notorious drug dealer
- Multiple accident claims 13 lives on Lagos-Ibadan expressway
- APC NWC upholds suspension of Edo party’s chairman
- I will be most excited person if I win 2021 AFCON for Nigeria, Rohr says
- Don tasks FG on production of West Africa Dwarf goat
- Medical doctors urged to draw line between profession ethics and business
- Buhari meets Pearson Educational Group mgt. in London
- Chemical engineers call for policies to promote smart agricultural value chain
- Nigerians seek tougher actions against corruption
- Gov. Matawalle reassures Zamfara citizens of his commitment to security
- Kogi: FCT minister drums support for Bello
- Super Eagles ‘ll grow into AFCON qualifiers, says Akanni
- Obaseki has failed Edo people, says PDP
- Makinde appoints Ex-Rep. Ogunwuyi DG, Investments, PPP Agency
- ZMSG to resuscitate 5 abandoned ginneries—-Gov. Matawalle
- PDP rejects hate speech bill
- Businessman arraigned over alleged importation of 13 containers of substandard cables
- International GIS Day: Expert calls for GIS inculcation in STEM study