May 19, 2017 (NAN) One person was feared dead with several others injured following a chieftaincy tussle that engulfed Igogo in Moba Local Government Area of Ekiti during the week.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the crisis which started like a mere disagreement between parties on Monday, suddenly took a dangerous turn on Thursday and dragged on until the early hours of Friday.
This followed news that filtered into town that one of the two contesting for the Asaba chieftaincy title in the town had been allegedly kidnapped by some unknown persons.
NAN gathered that the kidnapped contestant was alleged to be equally enjoying the support of most residents of the town.
It was reported that the second contestant was, however, alleged to be enjoying the support of some influential people from the town.
Sola Akande, a resident of the town, told NAN that the crisis snowballed into a major violence when it became known that there were plans to impose the unpopular candidate on the people.
He said that soldiers and men of the Nigeria Police, attached to the state anti-crime control unit, code-named “Operation Flush” had to be invited to restore normalcy in the town.
NAN reports that as at the time of filling the report normalcy had been restored to the town.
The Police Public Relations Officer, Alberto Adeyemi, confirmed the clash.
Adeyemi, however, said he was not aware that anybody lost his or her life during the clash.
He said that a Deputy Commissioner of Police led a team of security men that eventually restored peace to the area.
One dead, several injured in over Ekiti chieftaincy crisis