The News Agency of Nigeria learnt that the incident occurred at about 8 p.m. om April 11 when the gunmen invaded the home of Mr Tosin Ojuola and at gun point, forced his wife to surrender the child to them.
Narrating the incident at Police Headquarters, Lokoja, on Sunday, Ojuola told NNN that he left home barely 10 minutes when the gunmen arrived and invaded his apartment, beat up his wife and asked her to surrender the baby at gun point.
“I left home and was on my way to church for vigil on that fateful night, when I suddenly heard my wife’s voice crying and shouting for help.
”I quickly ran back to my apartment and my wife told me that two armed men had forcefully taken our baby away and ran into the nearby bush.
”I shouted for help and some youths immediately joined me to go after the gunmen to rescue my baby, but all our efforts yielded no result as we were not able to get them.
”We searched all the nearby bushes to some kilometers away, but because it was night, we could not go very deep into the bush,” he said.
He stated that he reported the matter immediately at the Divisional Police Station in Mopa, where the police promised to investigate and search for the baby.
Ojuola said that the following morning, more villagers were mobilised to search for the baby far into the bush, including farms and Fulani settlements, but that all efforts were abortive.
He explained that the police came to his house also the following day to arrest his landlord and a Fulani man, who is a tenant.
According to him, the Police said that they were the principal suspects.
But, Ojuola said that the matter took a twist on April 14, when police invited him for questioning and later detained him in connection with the incident.
“The police told me that the community leaders demanded for my arrest, claiming that the village oracle (Ifa deity) revealed that I have hand in the stealing of my own baby.
”Meanwhile, before my arrest, three of the community leaders came to my house on the third day and said that they were going to make sacrifice to their gods to expose the perpetrators and recover my baby.
”They asked me to provide axe, cutlass, hoe, palm kernel oil and fresh yam, which I did, and they asked me to take them to the spot where I buried the placenta of my baby.
”I took them there and they did some incantations and poured the oil on the spot, and assured me that my baby would be found.
”To my greatest surprise and shock, it was the same people that asked the police to arrest and detain me for allegedly stealing my own baby,” he said.
Ojuola stated that the case was later transferred to the State CID at Police Headquarters, Lokoja, on Wednesday.
”I have since been in police cell for seven days without food and without any hope of finding my stolen baby. My image has been tarnished.
”Why would I do such evil against my own baby? I am a farmer, and a staff of Mopamuro Local Government Council, I have five children.
“The stolen baby was my sixth child. I am still owing N4,000 at the clinic where I took the baby to after he was delivered at home.
”I have spent over eleven years in the community, my aged parents are in the same community; I have never been involved in any crime in my life.
”I am innocent; I am a devoted and committed Christian. How would I steal my own baby, to do what and for what,” he explained.
”I am appealing to the police to conduct a thorough investigation and fish out the perpetrators, and help me to rescue my baby because I am helpless,” Ojuola pleaded.
Shade Ojuola, his wife and mother of the baby, in tears, expressed sadness over the snatching of her baby at gunpoint.
She told NNN on phone that she had bathed the baby, laid him in bed and was receiving fresh air outside in company with their landlord’s wife when the two gunmen emerged from nowhere.
“They flashed their torch light and commanded us to hands up.
”I started shouting when they brought out guns and ordered me to shut my mouth; they forced the door open and carried my baby away.
”My husband had just left the house for church not up to 10 minutes when the kidnappers came,” she explained.
Mrs Ojuola who corroborated her husband’s earlier statements, called for immediate release of her husband to enable the family to continue the search for their baby.
”I am begging the police to please free my husband from cell in Lokoja because he is innocent; he can never do such a thing; he is a hardworking man, and he fears God.
”We have been married for 11 years now with five children, and he loves me and all our children; I don’t want to lose him,” she said.
The aged father of Tosin, Mr John Ojuola, 74, told NNN on phone that some people in the community were conniving with the police to implicate his son.
”The police should concentrate their effort on finding the real perpetrators of the heinous act against my innocent grandson and bring them to justice,” he said.
The traditional ruler of Ijagbe, Chief Amushin Adeleye, who also spoke to NNN on phone, confirmed the incident.
He, however, denied any involvement in the arrest and detention of Tosin, the father of the baby.
He said that Tosin had never engaged in any form of criminality, violence or social vice in the community.
The monarch further confirmed that the two people the community suspected after findings and consultations were Ojuola’s landlord, Samson Johnson and one Fulani man, Umoru Isah.
He said that the community later reported Johnson and Isah as suspects to the police.
The traditional ruler appealed to the police to release the baby’s father and ensure that justice was done in accordance with the law.
When contacted, the Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Hakeem Busari, said that he was aware of the matter.
When told that the complainant in the case, Mr Tosin Ojuola, had been in detention at the CID section, Busari expressed shock and asked for time to enable him to find out the real situation of things from the Officer in charge of CID.
However, the commissioner did not get back to NNN as promised and attempts to re-establish link with him failed as his mobile phone had been switched off.
- Presidency explains Finance Act 2019
- TCN working assiduously to repair damaged equipment in Maiduguri
- Tanzania connects 5 regions to natural gas
- Gov. AbdulRazaq says study of history key to national development
- 3-year-old Ibadan Chieftaincy crisis finally resolved – Olubadan
- Nigeria to assist Equatorial Guinea in modular refineries’ development
- Group plans to mobilise South-East people into APC mainstream politics
- Makinde, others visit late Lekan Are’s family in Ibadan
- NPFL: Kano Pillars beat Akwa United 2-0
- NPFL: Rangers humbles Abia Warriors 3-1 to climbs out of relegation
- Banditry: Minister to partner Zamfara govt. to support victims
- NPFL Round 16: Plateau United trashes Adamawa United 5-0
- Stakeholders condemn setting Nsukka PDP office on fire
- Police debunks media report on death of 30, abduction of 100 in Kaduna
- Music Review: Lil Kesh’s ‘ Kowope’ battles shallow lyrics
- Buhari makes case for a Commonwealth “based on trade”
- EPL: Burnley fight back to sink Leicester City
- Team Nigeria wins 11 medals at African Track Championship
- Minister seeks Private Sector’s collaboration on Methanol fuel production
- Olubadan mourns renowned industrialist, Are
- Westwood wins 25th European Tour title
- Buhari condoles with family of Lekan Are
- Economists speak on expectations ahead of MPC meeting
- FRSC confirms 3 dead, 1 injured as vehicle rams into tricycle in Onitsha
- How corrupt dealers ruined our yuletide with stone filled rice – Residents
- Sokoto: Army reaffirms commitment in tackling security challenges
- LSSC holds sensitisation rally, seals off defective building in Lagos
- We’re not taking our customers back to estimated billing – EEDC
- Police nab 26-year-old mother for faking own kidnap
- Gas explosion: NSCDC sets up team to enforce compliance to safety standards in Jigawa
- SERAP wants stoppage of life pension payment to ex-AMAC chairmen, speakers
- Lekki/Ikoyi Bridge: Lagos govt. begins full implementation of cashless toll Jan. 20
- Our economy big enough for a bigger capital market – SEC DG
- Harmattan: NGO distributes 350 cardigans to IDPs in Kaduna
- Clean-Up: Task Force impounds 29 vehicles in Lagos
- AbdulRazaq felicitates Kwara APC chieftain on conferment of traditional title in Ghana
- Resident doctors want law to protect health workers against assault
- Oke-Ogun students benefit from businessman’s multimillion naira bursary/scholarships
- LAWMA to create `Wall of Shame’ for environmental offenders- Spokesperson
- Troops arrest suspected arms dealer in Kaduna
- NCDMB, Waltersmith to support Equatorial Guinea on modular refinery devt
- Boroffice empowers women with grinding machines, cash in Ondo
- LCCI urges FG not to make adoption of `Eco’ priority
- Institute wants speedy assent to forensic bill to prevent fraud, corruption
- Old students to build library for DFSS Agege
- Akpabio inaugurates N1.69bn erosion control project in A’Ibom
- Nigeria, potential hub for organic agriculture in Africa–Official
- Kaduna agency honours 15 taxpayers for timely remittance
- Ajimobi mourns late elder statesman Lekan Are
- NAN Box Office Analysis: Is Nollywood undermining the cinema market?
- Menstrual Hygiene: Foundation supports young girls, children in Jigawa
- Alumni association promises to use expertise to develop business community
- Poultry: District head lauds association for vaccinating local chickens
- DPR seals 10 illegal gas stations in Osun
- Music Review: Fireboy crowns single ‘Need You’ with an emotional visual
- Gov. Lalong approves layouts for servicemen in Plateau
- Cleric advises Christians to live peaceful, holy lives
- Emir of Muri urges mutual understanding, forgiveness among Taraba warring factions
- Don advises Muslim faithful on children’s Qur’anic education
- African Development Bank to invest $250m on water, sanitation in FCT
- Supreme Court Judgement: Anxiety in Bauchi as politicians spend sleepless nights in mosques
- DPR seals five petrol, gas stations in Kogi for cheating
- C/River destroys illegal structures in Etim-Edem Park
- WASA: Commander tasks soldiers on discipline
- Smuggling: NIS intercepts 42 bags of foreign rice at Kankara
- Nigeria’s border closure not to punish neighbours – Buhari
- Buhari symathises with Emir of Pokiskum, Umaru Bubaram, over bandits’ attack
- NiMet predicts dust haze condition for Sunday
- Nigeria targets first 70 by 2023 in ease of doing business — SGF
- Prof. Mallam, killed in Kaduna gas explosion buried
- Golf: 3 Div organises special kitty to honour fallen heroes
- My faith remains strong in Nigeria, democracy – Ihedioha
- How to prevent full-blown attack of migraine headache – Expert
- Presidential aide commends FG’s reform of justice sector
- Minister praises Adekuroye for Gold feat in Rome
- Institute to revoke certificates of non performing members
- Minister tasks Nigerians on patriotism, commitment to nation building
- 608 repentant Boko Haram insurgents currently undergoing rehabilitation- military
- APC governors forum urges Nigerians to defend judiciary
- NANTS demands comprehensive costs, benefits analysis on ECO currency
- Don calls for adoption of Malikiyya law in sharia courts
- Kwara Govt didn’t ban religious activities in public schools – CAN
- Zamfara APC commends members for perseverance
- Niger Delta ministry reiterates commitment to partner Abia Govt. on infrastructural devt
- Capacity building, infrastructure crucial to tourism development – Expert
- Kidnappings: Minister urges Nigerians to reduce desperation for money
- NAF set to induct 2 new Augusta Attack helicopters for combat operations
- Kwara govt constitutes White Paper committees on KWASU, environment
- Staff fitness crucial to organisation’s performance, NNPC GMD says at sports fiesta
- Barack Obama eulogises wife as she turns 56
- Chief of Air Staff commends Logistics Command after inspecting capital projects in Lagos
- Handball coach says, `Ban lifted, I am still ready to work`
- Medical outreach: 5,000 patients get free treatment in Adamawa
- BCDA executes 38 projects in Katsina, inaugurates health centre
- Lagosians express concerns following NAFDAC’s alert on using Paracetamol for food preparation
- Chronic Leg Ulcer affects 10 per cent of sickle cell patients- NGO
- Diabetes increases risk of eye diseases – Ophthalmologist
- Lekan Are, foremost Nigerian agronomist, dies at 86
- NUJ President commends FG’s fight against insurgency
- LCCI to collaborate with brokers to promote insurance
- Lassa fever: Medical Expert cautions against drinking Garri
- Access Bank secures final approval for Kenyan Transnational Bank acquisition
- UNIPORT gets 37 new professors
- Gov. Dickson inaugurates Golf Course as Int’l Open Invitational Tournament ends in Bayelsa
- Kebbi govt. inaugurates committee for 2020 Argungu Fishing festival
- ECO Currency: NANTS urges FG, ECOWAS to address corruption, other key priorities
- Rotary Club donates medical equipment to Alimosho General Hospital
- Yuletide: Road accidents claim 31 lives in Ogun
- A’Ibom Govt. donates relief materials to fire victims
- Niger govt. to partner NGOs on youth empowerment – Official
- Greenhouses protect crops from ultraviolet sun rays, pests – Expert
- 5,070 suspects arrested in 2019 for crimes, says Edo Police Command
- Recapitalisation: NIA lauds NAICOM, urges insurers to take advantage of extension
- Re-Run Election: LG chairman warns voters against violence
- Gov. Abiodun promises better relationship with students
- Gunmen kill 2 in Kaduna community
- Retired Nurse urges parents to allow their children to be de-wormed
- Enugu State Govt. trains 65 youths on tomatoes production technology —Official
- Gombe: NGO advocates stronger environmental laws to check indiscriminate felling of trees
- FG soon to direct public broadcasting outfits to priotise disability matters
- Umuahia armed robbery victim dies from gunshot wounds — Deceased’s brother
- Pregnancy: Gynaecologist stresses importance of ANC
- Global Fund: Health minister harps on 3 pillars for effective coordination
- CBN, Ekiti Govt. pledge to support NACOTAN for massive cotton production
- Nasarawa Govt. seeks stronger synergy with SWAN
- Gov. El-Rufai inaugurates Milk Farm Project for 1000 households
- Lafia specialist hospital to begin training of doctors on residency – CMD
- TCN restores supply after system collapse
- Coronation: Emir of Lafia tasks new traditional ruler on fairness, justice
- Prosecute perpetrators of violence, NMA charges members
- HIV: FG approves Omega Visitect CD4 Rapid Test Kit
- FG feeds 194,707 pupils in Enugu
- Buhari, First Lady counsel Garba Shehu’s son on patience in marriage
- New waterfront commissioner promises viability of Lagos waterways
- NIS inaugurates central store at headquarters
- LASEMA confirms building collapse, fire outbreak in Lagos
- Nasarawa speaker tasks community on unity, peaceful co-existence
- Kano State Fire Service gets Acting Director
- LASG calls for environmental protection, behavioural change
- CP parades 2 child traffickers, recovers 9 children in Enugu
- Japan’s suicide rate drops for 10th straight year to record low in 2019
- We will not tolerate personnel excesses in 2020 -Edo CP
- Human Trafficking: Omolola Ajayi arrives Abuja from Lebanon, handed over to NAPTIP
- 1.64m jobs created by manufacturing sector over time — MAN
- FRSC decorates 32 newly-promoted officers, marshals in Kogi
- London summit: ACFTA to top discussion as Adesina visits UK
- Ooni honours 100 Nigerian youth leaders
- Stakeholders seek more female scientists to promote STEM
- I will bequeath free, fair elections-Buhari
- China’s ZTE, local telecom firm start 5G technology trial in Uganda
- Nigeria should lead Africa on AGOA, says U.S.-based trade promoter
- 23-yr-old emerges best graduating student of JABU
- Multiple sexual partners increases risk of cervical cancer- NGO
- Former world’s shortest man from Nepal dies at 28
- President, Lagos Dance says, “dance, a viable tool for youth empowerment”
- Cambodia releases measures to curb, reduce air pollution
- MFM FC targets third away victory against Wikki Tourists
- Police confirm death a man in hotel
- 9ice marks 40th birthday in style
- EFCC arrests 6 over alleged internet fraud in Ilorin
- NUJ declares one week mourning for assassinated journalist
- Police nab 4 in connection with fight between two rival groups in Niger
- Onu solicits private sector support for methanol production in Nigeria
- N-Power: Plateau Govt. cautions citizens against fraudsters, fake portals
- NSE: Trading defies December inflation figure, index up 0.90%
- Gov. Oyetola wants experts in private sector to support Nigeria’s economy
- Commander charges 378 promoted FRSC officers to live above board
- Toyin Abraham eulogies husband on his birthday
- Akeredolu reiterates importance of NDDC forensic audit
- Benue govt. says negotiations on N30,000 minimum wage still ongoing
- PDP pledges to defend Nigeria democracy, institutions
- ‘Sugar Rush’ movie returns to cinema
- Don calls for Sharia Courts in South West
- 2 to die by hanging for murder in Osun
- FRSC tasks newly promoted officers on dedication, hard work
- We sag our trousers to keep in vogue – Youths
- Uzodinma appoints SSG, AG, CPS, others
- FRSC decorates 36 newly promoted officers in Bayelsa
- Abia Polytechnic to punish extortionists, says governing Council chairman
- Buhari departs Abuja for London ahead of UK-Africa Investment Summit
- Expert says vertical farming system preserves arable lands
- Ex-FUTO VC calls for upgrade of facilities in nation’s universities
- Lagos mass transit train: NRC to resume services soon – official
- NAMA begins calibration of landing aids at Lagos Airport
- Finance Act will reposition economy — Expert
- Xi meets Myanmar State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi
- Ore-Ijebu Ode-Sagamu accident preventable if… – FRSC Zonal Commander
- Insurgency: Nigeria takes delivery of fighter helicopters, gets more in February – AVM Abubakar
- Prices of local poultry produce will soon crash in spite of continued border closure – PAN
- Atiku proposes committee to review recent elections
- More funds, intervention will boost tourism sector, says NTDC boss
- Team Nigeria win 1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze medal at African Track Championship
- FG to boost national economy with methanol production
- Gowon Estate: Mosan/Okunola inaugurates new CDA officers, tasks them on devt
- Teenager docked for allegedly stealing conduit wire
- Expired products: NAFDAC advises Nigerians to be vigilant
- LASEMA rescues trapped victim from collapsed 3-storey building
- Enugu Judiciary honours former Chief Judge, late Justice Eze Ozobu
- Ekiti court dissolves 3-year-old marriage
- JOHESU branch lauds Obiano, CMD on improved welfare