Hajj: 2,199 Kaduna pilgrims return – official
Hajj in Saudi Arabia.
Board’s Public Relations Officer, Malam Yunusa Abdullahi, gave the figure in a statement he issued in Kaduna.
Abdullahi said that 554 pilgrims arrived at the Kaduna International Airport at 8.55 a.m. on Thursday aboard Max Airline.
“The total number of Kaduna pilgrims back home at the moment is 2,199,” he said.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that 3, 544 pilgrims from Kaduna State performed the 2019 Hajj.
Edited by Folorunso Poroye
Hajj: NAHCON charges contractors to speed up work
The Chairman, National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON), Alhaji Zikrullah Hassan, on Wednesday charged contractors handling various Hajj projects to intensify efforts toward completion.
Hassan gave the directive at a meeting with contractors handling various Hajj Development Levy Projects to assess the level of work accomplished so far, according to the Head of Public Affairs, NAHCON, Fatima Usara.
Usara said in a statement in Abuja that the meeting was aimed at assessing the level of work with a view to speeding up work at the sites.
The spokesperson said that the meeting was to determine if there were any circumstances hindering completion of the projects.
“The constructions include hotel accommodation for camping of intending pilgrims before travelling, and construction of clinics, event centres, mosques and perimeter fencing.
” Work at several sites in all the geopolitical zones are at advanced levels while some have been completed,” Usara said. .
Indonesia tells Hajj pilgrims to stay home amid COVID-19 uncertainty
More than 200,000 Indonesians hoping to attend the Hajj in Saudi Arabia this year have had their plans cancelled by the government amid lack of certainty because of the coronavirus outbreak.
“The Saudi authorities have not yet given access to pilgrims from any country,’’ Indonesian Religious Affairs Minister Fachrul Razi said on Tuesday.
“Because of that, we won’t have enough time to prepare, especially in terms of the protection of the pilgrims,’’ he told an online news conference.
Indonesia has a Hajj quota of 221,000 pilgrims for this year, according to the government.
The Hajj is due in late July this year, but the kingdom has not yet announced whether it will be called it off.
On Sunday, Saudi Arabia began the gradual reopening of the prophet Mohammed’s mosque in the city of Medina, one of Islam’s two holiest sites, two months after it was closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The death toll rose to 1,663, after 22 additional deaths were reported overnight.
Hajj 2020: Kwara pilgrims board allays fear of cancellation
The Kwara Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board has allayed fears of prospective pilgrims on cancellation for this year’s Hajj (pilgrimage) to Saudi Arabia.
According to him, the Saudi Arabia Authority nor the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria are yet to make any pronouncement on the cancellation of 2020 Hajj exercise.
“The Saudi Arabian Government and the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria have not make any official pronouncements on the cancellation of the 2020 hajj exercise,” he said.
The executive secretary therefore expressed optimism on the possibility of conducting the 2020 Hajj.
Jimoh therefore urged all intending pilgrims from the state for 2020 exercise not to lose hope of performing their spiritual retreat.
He gave assured that the board would not relent at giving current, timely and accurate information regarding the 2020 pilgrimage to give the intending pilgrims first hand information.
Edited By: Muhammad Suleiman Tola (NAN)
Scholar urges Muslims to use Hajj, Umrah fare to feed poor
Prof. AbdurRazaq Alaro, a Professor of Islamic Law at the University of Ilorin, has urged Muslims to substitute the money meant for Hajj and Umrah to feed the poor and needy in Nigeria.
Alaro, who gave the advice while speaking with newsmen in Ilorin on Monday, called on all privileged Muslims to take advantage of Ramadan in reaching out to the needy.
He said doing so would attract bountiful rewards than performing this year’s Umrah or Hajj.
Alaro urged them to feed the needy from the money they had reserved to cover up for this year’s Umrah, pointing out that “feeding the needy attracts more bountiful reward than performing this year’s Umrah”.
The don said that the country was full of people who were hungry as a result of the lockdown.
He stressed that most people live from hand to mouth even before the lockdown as they depended on daily paid job and never expected the lockdown to last this long.
“It is a good act if you have been blessed and don’t be miserly. One of those things one has to wish he does is Ibadah of Islam.
“One of the Ibadah of Islam is going on Hajj and Umrah; Hajj is compulsory to some scholars as well as Umrah.
“But it is only supposed to be performed once in a lifetime as subsequent ones are regarded as voluntary but has lots of bountiful rewards.
“This is a very lucrative opportunity. Please look within your neighbourhood and extend your hands of support to orphans, widows, your relatives both nuclear and extended.
“Buy them food, give them money this period and expect a bountiful reward to accompany this act,” he said.
He disclosed that the two holy Mosques in Makka and Madina had been shut down as people were instructed to pray at home.
The scholar, however, admonished wealthy Muslims to remain focused as the reward of this year’s Umrah was not lost.
“You can follow Ibn Mubarak’s statement that we’ll receive a more bountiful reward than performing this year’s Umrah if we feed the needy and perform Umrah another year.
“And by the grace of Allah, may this pandemic end very soon,” he prayed.
Edited By: Abiemwense Moru/Muhammad Suleiman Tola (NAN)