The Wellbeing Foundation Africa, a Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO), on Tuesday, says hand washing is critical to hygiene and general wellness.
The Founder of the group, Mrs Toyin Saraki, wife of ex-President of the Senate, said this in an interview with Nigeria News Agency in Abuja.
Global Hand Washing Day, annually observed on Oct. 15, stressed the need to use soap and clean water to wash hands before and after any activities.
First celebrated in 2008 when over 120 million children around the world washed their hands with soap in more than 70 countries, community and national leaders had since then, marked the day to raise awareness about hand washing.
The day, also endorsed by governments, schools, international institutions, civil society organisations, NGOs, private companies, as well as individuals, is also to raise awareness on the need to build sinks and tippy taps, and demonstrate the simplicity and value of clean hands.
push to leave no one behind in the Sustainable Development Agenda.
stressing the need for “wash” to be treated as priority in Africa.
On the 2019 Global Hand washing Day theme, she said “it focuses on the links between hand washing and food, including food hygiene and nutrition.
and washing is an important part of keeping food safe, preventing diseases and helping children to grow strong.
“Let us make hand washing a lifestyle. It is one of the simplest, yet most effective ways to reduce the spread of germs and save lives.
“The day reminds Africa that only 60 per cent of the world’s population has access to basic hand washing facilities.”
She added that people all over the world were working hard to bring water, sanitation and hygiene to the most vulnerable populations.
hand washing techniques.
“Health workers should be empowered to promote the five key moments of hand washing.
“Almost one in five primary schools and one in eight secondary schools are considered to have no sanitation.
“This has negative implications for adolescent girls who need facilities during their period,” she said.
Edited by Abiodun Esan/Hadiza Mohammed-Aliyu
- Ebonyi NOA, UNICEF move to raise awareness on safe practices for healthy living
- 2019 INAC: Ogun woos visitors to explore tourism assets
- Centre trains Armory managers from 15 countries to curtail arms proliferation
- Gridlock: Lagos Assembly asks Sanwo-Olu to focus on scheduled maintenance
- KDSG urges religious leaders to spread messages of peace
- Lagos House of Assembly approves N250bn loan for capital projects
- AFRIMA- Stakeholders urge artistes to utilise digital platforms for distribution
- Artist drums up support for the Art sector
- Experts call for private sector participation in health security
- Ogun govt. advocates modern teaching techniques for special schools
- A.Y partners Chinese firm to produce new movie `30 days’
- NAN Acting MD tasks staff on commitment “in spite of financial challenges”
- Plateau: NPC launches 2018 NDHS report
- Chris Brown welcomes second child with girlfriend
- ENSG targets 1m children in immunisation plus days
- Resign, aggrieved APC NEC members tell Oshiomhole
- INAC 2019: Culture agency provides free skills training
- Friendly environment: Minister urges public-private sector collaboration
- Why God’s ways remain unpredictable, incomprehensible – Don
- Air Chief pleased with maintenance progress on Alpha Jets In NAF Base
- EU tasks AU on solidarity, unity for AfCFTA to succeed
- Town Hall meeting stakeholders advocate interface reps
- Webber donates N9m sports facilities to alma mater
- Lawmaker lays foundation for block of six classrooms in Badagry
- Kwara Govt. tasks new NURTW executives on peace, unity
- Customs Comptroller-General to sack officers living above earnings
- NIS begins E-passport, biometric visa issuance in Japan
- Burundian Ambassador calls for proper funding of science innovation
- Ghanaian Parliamentarian says Nigeria closure of border affects trade
- NiMet predicts sunny, thundery activities for Saturday
- Nigeria, S’Africa mull MoU on assets recovery -Magu
- I’m not going to attempt 3rd term, says Buhari
- Army: Over 1,000 persons benefit from free medical care in Ibadan
- VC’s not against IPPIS: Prof. Kimbir
- EFCC uncovers alleged fraud of N5bn from Kwara revenue fund
- Zamfara Assembly reaffirms suspension of Shinkafi LG chairman
- Researchers find 1,000 yr old Viking-era ship in western Norway
- Police in Benue discover 3 family members dead in a room
- Iranian cleric says protest leaders deserve death sentence
- South African Airways inks deal to end eight-day strike
- WHO: Inactivity puts health of adolescents worldwide at risk
- Niger governor’s aide trains journalists on digital media
- Navy decorates 16 new Rear Admirals
- NAN acting MD, other management staff in Lafia for 2-day retreat
- FG lauds capacity to tackle public health threats
- Traders count losses over Oyingbo market closure
- SEC reviewing NSE demutualisation application, assures transparent process
- Experts say green policies, legal routes needed for climate refugees
- Osinbajo receives Oduduwa University founder at Aso Villa
- Sokoto Judgement: APC heads to Supreme Court