Harnessing the livestock sector for economic transformation, by Femi Ogunshola, Nigeria News Agency
Food and Agricultural Organisation (FAO) of the United Nations 2018 report predicted that Nigeria’s population would hit 400 million by 2050. The report stressed the need to increase agricultural production, especially livestock.
As a result of the expected population increase, it was predicted that demand for livestock products will rise exponentially, and projection suggest that poultry meat, beef and milk consumption will grow by 253, 177 and 577 per cent, respectively.
FAO said that the livestock industry was expected to beef up its production in order to respond to increase demand.
Agricultural stakeholders and experts that gathered recently in Abuja, dialogued on how to tackle the challenges in the livestock sector.
The theme of the workshop is: “Africa Sustainable Livestock 2050: The Future of Livestock in Nigeria- Opportunities and Challenges in the Face of Uncertainty.’’
The engagement was sponsored by FAO in collaboration with the Federal Ministries of Agriculture and Rural Development, Health and Environment.
Mr Suffyan Koroma, FAO representative in Nigeria, said that the government of Nigeria with support from FAO and USAID engaged a multitude of stakeholders in a conversation about the future of cattle and poultry sectors in the country.
Koroma stated that stakeholders have not been able to predict or forecast with accuracy the future of cattle and poultry sectors in Nigeria.
According to him, there is need to take a forward looking approach when designing policies and investments in the sector.
He said that urbanisation, industrialisation and rising incomes have already triggered growing demand for animals’ source food in Nigeria.
Koroma noted that this was also causing major challenges in the livestock sector.
He stated that the African Sustainable Livestock (ASL) 2050, was designed to come up with a sustainable livestock development policy, and set the stage to secure livelihoods, better health and safe environment.
He said that the ASL report has done the assessments of the impact of cattle and beef production on public health.
Koroma stated that the report provided invaluable insight to decision makers in the country on how to make the cattle and poultry sectors more robust.
The Nigeria FAO representative stressed that the livestock sector is an integral part of agriculture and vital to the socio-economic development of the country, though its productivity is currently low.
FAO 2018 estimates indicate that Nigeria’s national herd comprises 18.4 million cattle, 43.4 million sheep, 76 million goats and 180 million poultry.
“The majority of animals are raised in extensive production system, comprising smallholders and nomadic herders; large commercial holdings are currently rare, but expanding, especially in the poultry sub-sector.
“Total production of milk, meat and eggs amount to 0.5 billion litres, 1.4 and 0.6 million tons per year respectively.”
Dr Mohammed Bello, Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural development, who spoke, said that the development of livestock was key to the transformation of the country in a sustainable way.
He said that in the next three decades, livestock value chains must transform in order to satisfy the demand of an increasingly “affluent and urbanised population.’’
The permanent secretary said that the high demand for animal source foods presents great business opportunities for farmers and other value chain actors and can support broader societal development through employment generation and poverty reduction, food security and nutritional benefits.
According to him, the expected population growth and increase in income would result to high demand for animal food.
He noted that with significant improvement of livestock production, some level of import may be needed for certain livestock commodities in future.
Mrs Winnie Lai-Solarin, Deputy Director, Department of Animal Husbandry Services, Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, called for agricultural policy review with special attention on the livestock sector.
She said the review was imperative, noting that the livestock sector, though significant due to its large livestock numbers, was still under developed and under-performing, in terms of contribution to the country’s GDP.
“The livestock sector has the potential to contribute achieve many national development goals; it represents a unique opportunity for far-reaching transformation.’’
Lai-Solarin said that the sector needed to be supported through adequate policy review, pointing out that there is a big gap in the livestock policy.
She said there was need for more focus on policy concerning livestock and fishery, away from crop agriculture.
She added that fisheries sector occupied a very important place in the socio-economic development of the country.
According to her, the sector has been recognised as powerful income and employment generator, as it stimulates growth of a number of subsidiary industries and source of cheap and nutritious food, besides being foreign exchange earners.
Lai-Solarin added that the livestock sector has been identified as most important source of livelihood for a large section of economically backward population in the country.
She noted that animal agriculture has been relegated to the background, as little attention has been paid to the sector, adding that this has encouraged clashes in recent time.
The deputy director called for a better education on improved breed of animals, noting that proper adoption of modern animal breeding biotechnology will have great potential to improve livestock productivity and food security in the country. (Features)
- Atletico Madrid one of football’s toughest opponents, Klopp says
- Neymar set to play against Borussia Dortmund, PSG coach says
- Oyo govt. to prosecute illegal motor park operators
- Messi, Hamilton joint winners of Sportsman of the Year at Laureus Awards
- Edo reiterates commitment to fighting against human trafficking
- 53 African varsities converge on Abuja to consolidate ACE impact
- Crisis in childhood HIV treatment in western and central Africa
- New Akwa Ibom NSCDC commandant resumes, advises miscreants to relocate
- 6 persons die in accident in Niger — FRSC
- WACO FA defeat Winco Foam FC to lift FCT FA Cup
- Jigawa bye-election: Musa wins APC Babura/Garki Federal Constituency primary
- FG selects 6 states for pilot Open Schooling Programme
- Aregbesola tasks security agencies on war against terrorism
- Agric revolution: NIRSAL, BOI, others, support agro-industrial processing zones creation
- Engaging untrained teachers in schools worrisome – UNGA President
- Kebbi Govt. integrates 504 Qur’anic schools, enrolls 23, 000 children – Commissioner
- Death sentence: Gov. Matawalle sends delegation to KSA
- Critics blames Britain for inviting China’s Hikvision to security fair
- Katsina Killings: FG’s delegation condole with State Govt., victims
- Kano Govt approves N26m to settle NECO, NBTE exams debt
- Police rescue 1 kidnapped JAMB staff, searching for others
- Police rescue 1 JAMB kidnapped staff, others still being held by captors
- Seme Customs intercepts drugs concealed inside 2 commercial buses
- NNPC, JV partners disburse $360m for Ogoni Clean-up
- FG extols Nigeria-India relations to drive technology devt. in Africa
- NDA will not compromise standards in training cadets – Commandant
- Basketball Africa League (BAL): Transcripts of All Star 2020 Game Players
- Police extend curfew in Bayelsa to Feb. 23
- Bulgarian police stop truck carrying migrants in refrigerated cargo
- Abia govt. begins investigation into Abia Warriors/Enyimba violent clash
- We have technologies that can bring immediate jobs — NBTI DG
- Al-Assad promise to continue onslaught on Idlib, Aleppo countryside
- 5 civilians killed in accidental explosion in Cameroun’s Anglophone region
- Challenger Series Review
- Katsina attack: Gov Masari visits affected villages
- FG ready to collaborate with NDVC to actualise diaspora voting – Osinbajo
- Withdrawal of certificate: KWASU reacts to social media video
- Man, 25, docked for alleged damage to security wire
- Gunmen abduct 2 in Calabar
- Kwara Govt reaffirms commitment to independent Judiciary
- China’s leverage in real economy rises in 2019
- Court turns down lawyer’s plea, orders arrest of ex-Customs boss, Dikko
- Senate President urges more action on school dropouts, unemployment
- FCC to ensure fairness, equity in personnel recruitment among MDAs – Ag. chairman
- Coronavirus: W/Africa region needs $50m to strengthen preparedness- WAHO
- COVID-19: Epidemiologist urges concerted efforts to strengthen preparedness
- CBN pleads for land for 3 coys to build dairy factories in FCT
- CSR: Ikeja Electric donates medical equipment to Ikorodu General Hospital
- Cooperative Society, critical tool to achieving affordable housing – Fashola
- Coca Cola Safe Birth Initiative, Medshare donate $2m equipment to Alimosho General Hospital
- Mission of the Czech Defense and Security Industry to Djibouti and Ethiopia
- FG urges collaboration with stakeholders for Niger Delta development
- WHO says latest Chinese data may point to declining covid-19 spread
- EU pledges $108m for Albania’s post-quake reconstruction
- Pope Francis has done ‘too little’ on sex abuse crisis, victims say
- Singer who plotted to kill Rwanda president found dead in police cell
- ASUU calls for review of existing laws on sexual harassment
- Passengers burnt beyond recognition on Malumfashi-Kafur road in Katsina – FRSC
- Cruise ship cases increase as coronavirus threatens China’s largest political gathering of year
- Seme Customs seizes 235 contraband valued at N91.1m this year
- Taliban claims deal with U.S. to be signed by February
- Oyo govt. inaugurates ex-NURTW boss as chairman of parks disciplinary c’ttee
- SGF advises developers on effects of climate change
- Man, 43 faces trial for allegedly beating policeman on duty
- Traffic Violation: FCTA arraigns 34 offenders
- Karaye Emirate Council restates commitment to curb rape, drug abuse
- FG intensifies health workers’ response to humanitarian crisis
- New Bayelsa Gov. Diri urges Assembly to pass 2020 Budget
- Oyo govt. to revoke 4 road contracts
- INEC to decide resumption date for PVCs collection soon — Okoye
- Rice farmers in Kano seek more earth dams to boost irrigation
- Updated: EU resolves to set up new mission enforcing Libyan arms embargo
- FRSC flags off special intervention patrol in Kwara
- Persistent sell pressure: NSE All-Share Index resumes with 0.67% loss
- Oluwo, Agbowu face-off unfortunate– Osun govt.
- FG builds capacity of youth with disabilities
- NASS is committed to fight insecurity, says Senate President
- Covid-19: ECOWAS ministers of health to strengthen regional preparedness
- Senate calls for mandatory health insurance scheme for Nigerians
- Boxing coach decry lack of financial support by Boxing Federation
- Stakeholders, lawmakers meet over access to clean water, sanitation in Plateau
- FG to establish agro-industrial processing zones to reduce importation, others
- Tailoring: Union official decries power outage
- Kano human rights-friendly state – NHRC
- Rangers International protest Match Day 20 fixture officiating
- Kwara govt. to revoke 5,000 plots of land
- Foreign institutions optimistic on china’s economy, expect strong rebound in 5 months
- Minister tasks Nigerian youths on active participation in politics
- Enugu Govt, US group commence free medical outreach
- Come out of hiding, Shari’a Council dares Shekau
- Amotekun bill passes first reading at Osun Assembly
- NHRC to tackle Sexual Gender based violence in Nigeria
- 200 begin agripreneurship training programme in Lagos
- Bello warns MDAs against contract inflation, project padding
- Lassa fever: Avoid contact with rats, warns Veterinary Surgeon
- Delta Govt begins construction of drainage channels in Uvwie
- Spanish La Liga allow Barca to make emergency striker signing
- NBTI DG inspects incubation facilities in Lafia, Makurdi
- Niger Delta records 416 violence, 1,013 fatality cases in 2019 — NGO
- Israeli researchers develop standalone system to produce water from air in desert areas
- Gunmen kill 24 in attack on Burkina Faso church
- Lagos Correctional Service gets new controller
- PSG have abundant talent even without Neymar, Borussia Dortmund’s coach says
- DSS seeks collaboration of Plateau Assembly to reduce crimes
- Ondo IGR now N2.2 bn monthly- Akeredolu
- FRSC prosecutes 158 traffic offenders in Lagos, Ogun, says Zonal Commander
- Oil Palm company mourns 6 deceased staff in road accident in Edo
- Oil Palm company mourns 6 deceased staff in road accident in Edo
- Agege Sports Competition will positively change youths’ perception- Organiser
- Unearthed ancient human fossils to be shown to public in Myanmar’s central region
- Equatorial Guinea demands France return seized Paris mansion at ICC
- Nigeria Taekwondo Federation hopeful on 2020 Tokyo Olympics qualification
- Facebook warns of risks to innovation, freedom of expression ahead of EU rules
- Free condom distribution in Nigeria declining – UNFPA
- We have surpassed WHO standard on NTD in Gombe-NGO
- His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed receives Ethiopian PM
- CILT calls for road tax system to encourage use of public transportation in Lagos
- Presidency raises alarm over fake news, dismisses reports on Buhari’s 20-day foreign trip
- U.S.-China trade deal will hurt Germany, says world economic institute
- Man, 34, bags 1 year imprisonment for stealing N110,000
- NSE boss, commuters task LASG on early completion of Agege Flyover
- UN envoy condemns use of hunting rifles against Iraqi protesters
- 2 C’River agencies to partner on strategic outdoor advertising
- Association, agency move to produce water resources map
- Disu says Ighalo will surely succeed at Manchester United
- EU ministers agree to new naval mission monitoring Libya arms embargo
- NOA urges Plateau citizens to demand for Open Government Partnership
- Adamawa student union to train members on skill acquisition
- EU suspends sanctions on Zimbabweans, warns of humanitarian crisis
- 9.4m toilets needed to end open defecation annually
- Nasarawa Assembly urges quick release of abducted Perm. Sec.
- FG urges state govts to consider IGR as critical instrument of funding
- Attacks: Ilorin residents seek police assistance
- Nigerian importers running out of business, says IMAN BoT chairman
- Empowering Health Workers on Child Growth Assessment
- I don’t subscribe to removal of security votes- Prof. Okolie
- Iranian accused of violating U.S. sanctions returns home from Germany
- ITF trains 200,000 youths on various skills since inception of NISDP -DG
- Expert says growing climate change causes extended harmattan
- Daycare worker in court for allegedly defiling 21-month-old toddler
- Court insists Wema Bank, officials should appear over alleged contempt
- Why we delayed visit to oil spill site in Brass-NOSDRA
- Pakistan again rejects Afghan accusation of harbouring militants
- No fewer than 22 killed in attack on village in Cameroon, UN says
- Kano LG targets 43,000 children for immunization in February
- No doctor will participate at 5th NMA Games without certificate of medical fitness, LOC says
- Advocate wants regulators to create jingles on health and safety on TV, radio stations
- Airstrikes on Syria’s Aleppo struck two hospitals
- In a meeting with Egyptian Foreign Minister, Edgars Rinkēvičs discusses Latvian-Egyptian cooperation and developments in Libya
- Young parliamentarians task NASS on inclusion of young legislators in committees
- 2023: BMO to support candidate with Nigerian agenda
- UTME: No admissions outside CAPS – Education Minister
- Akeredolu promises to achieve 100% immunisation coverage in Ondo
- Artisan docked for allegedly defrauding client N990,000
- Bangladesh high commission seeks partnership with NIPOST
- Bangladesh seeks partnership with NIPOST
- Safe, Quality medicines: NAFDAC reiterates determination to collaborate with stakeholders
- Delta RIFAN nominates 6,500 farmers for CBN-sponsored dry season farming
- Girls Softball tourney begins in Ibadan with 11 teams
- Abees Academy beat Basic Maracana to finish third in 2019/2020 FCT FA League
- Expert advises young entrepreneurs on digital marketing
- EU hosts donors’ conference for Albania after devastating earthquake
- Taiwan says previous regime possibly behind unsolved murders in 1980
- Thailand seeking to ease losses as virus slows tourism from China
- Strong political party ideology will curb defection – BMO
- 2 men in court for allegedly raping 16-year-old girl
- German economy at risk due to coronavirus – central bank
- WHO-China expert team begins coronavirus field inspections
- Daura LG distributes 100 sacks of maize to cripples, lepers
- Anchor Borrowers Programme : 40,000 rice farmers to benefit in Kano
- Enugu govt to train 120 farmers on cultivation of vetiver grass for erosion control-Official
- Edo 2020: 186 Athletes to represent Adamawa
- Edo NMA calls on FG to tackle insecurity
- 20m Nigerians have kidney diseases – association
- Marine waste clean-up yielding results — LASWA
- Businessman drags hairdresser, mechanic to court over alleged slander
- Traditional Chinese medicine effective in COVID-19 treatment- official
- Gov. El-Rufai presents 24 Jeeps to High Court judges
- Rojenny Stadium ready to host Police Games in Anambra
- EFCC secures 1,266 convictions in 14 months – Magu
- Elton John says he’s ‘deeply upset’ after cutting short NZ concert
- Huawei to make more contribution in 2020 to ICT capacity building in Ethiopia
- NAF destroys ISWAP training camp in Borno
- Expert warns against incessant clicking on links in internet
- Nasarawa monarch tasks parents on girl-child education to curb early marriage
- Africa Energy Forum 2020 to address SDG7 and Impact of Energy Investment
- Cleric urges youths to be agents of positive change
- Cleric urges youths to be agents of positive change
- Man, 31, sentenced to 3 years in prison for stealing cows
- Vaccination will prevent millions of TB cases yearly – Expert
- Association says charcoal is untapped goldmine
- Alleged N32.8bn Pension Fraud: Court grants EFCC leave to amend charge
- Ondo State: Council boss frowns at unwholesome practices at abattoir
- How stable economy can promote reading culture — Association
- Kwara by-election: APC picks younger brother of deceased lawmaker as candidate
- Court places nursing mother on probation for stealing cell phone
- Most parties deregistered are political ambition retailers – BMO
- Attack on Radio Bayelsa: New GM reverses suspension of 9 workers
- Police nab 6 for allegedly burning D-G’s car in Niger
- Alleged unpaid allowamce: Absence of ex-Kogi deputy governor’s witness stalls suit against Gov. bello