The All Progressives Congress (APC) says it is sadden by the death of the leader of Afenifere, Egbe Ilosiwaju Yoruba and APC chieftain, Sen. Ayo Fasanmi, who died at 94.
The APC Deputy National Publicity Secretary, Mr Yekini Nabena, said this in a statement in Abuja on Thursday while extending condolences to Fasanmi’s family, the government and people of Ekiti and Ondo states.
“The Yoruba and indeed the nation at large have lost a father to all, elder statesman, welfarist, second Republic Senator and frontline politician whose indelible strides will be forever remembered.
“Pa Fasanmi was one of Nigeria’s leading voices who spoke truth to power.
“In death, the APC celebrates an accomplished man and leader of the frontline Yoruba socio-cultural organisation who, alongside championing the socio-political interests and preserving the ethnic identity of the Yorubas, was also an advocate of good governance in the country.
“Although, born in Ekiti State, he chose to make Osun State home. The APC expresses condolences to the immediate family, the government and people of Ekiti and Ondo states and the Yoruba nation at large.
“We pray for the fortitude to bear the loss. The task before us now is to keep his legacies alive,” party’s spokesman said.
= = = = = = =
Edited By: Olawunmi Ashafa/Wale Ojetimi (NAN)
This News article: APC mourns Afenifere leader, Sen. Ayo Fasanmi is by Abdulwahab Deji and it appeared first on https://nnn.com.ng/.
DG APC Governors Forum tasks membership on participation, registration
Mr Salihu Lukman, the Director-General, Progressive Governors Forum (PGF), has called on the All Progressives Congress (APC), to ensure wide citizen’s participation through membership recruitment and establishment of credible and verifiable membership register.
Lukman, who made the call in a statement in Abuja on Sunday, said APC can only be progressive, if it is able to encourage and promote citizens participation and competition within the party.
“A major gap created by the current orientation of political parties in Nigeria with perverted political behaviour, which confer prerogative of membership recruitment to political leaders is the barrier that is making it almost impossible for parties.
“This includes the APC to serve as vehicles for citizens’ participation. Once APC continue to operate as a closed party, its progressive credentials will remain only a claim of its leaders and anyone who challenged it will be bullied.
“APC can only be progressive if it is able to encourage and promote competition within the party as a prelude to electoral contests.
“The absence of competition has reduced, predominantly, the business of the party not to focus on issues of managing governments based on capacity of party members to contribute to initiatives of governments controlled by the party.
“These Initiatives, especially with reference to agricultural development, jobs creation, education, health, infrastructural development, poverty eradication and rapid technological development,” Lukman said.
According to him, if APC opens itself through membership recruitment, the debate around the issue of whether there is a credible and verifiable membership register will not be taking place.
“Rather, appropriate steps should have been taken to ensure the existence of a credible and verifiable membership register.
“This may be a case of improving on what is already in existence. To improve on what exists may have to involve all structures of the party, so that the question of managing the membership register is also not in dispute.
“For instance, how members are recruited would have a lot of implication in terms of the format that would be used to guarantee participation.
“Take for instance, the argument that APC membership register is domicile on the Cloud. Who upload it to the Cloud with whose authority and who is managing it?
“How was it generated in the first place? Are the members of the APC in the register that is said to exist on the Cloud, financial members? Who did they pay their membership dues to?
He recalled that immediately after the merger exercise, which produced the APC between 2013 and 2015, the party was working towards establishing computerised membership data centre for the whole country.
Lukman said the project was abandoned due to the challenges facing the party then.
= = =
Edited By: Felix Ajide (NAN)
This News article: DG APC Governors Forum tasks membership on participation, registration is by Abdulwahab Deji and it appeared first on https://nnn.com.ng/.
APC in UK pays tributes to late Dapo Williams
The United Kingdom chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) has described its late member, Dr Dapo Williams, as a champion who fought many political wars to bring Nigerians in the Diaspora into repute.
Mr Ade Omole, the leader of the chapter, said this in a statement issued on Sunday in Abuja by Mr Jacob Ogunseye, its Publicity Secretary.
Omole also said that the deceased, who died at 61, fought to ensure the unity of Nigerians in the Diaspora and the development of the APC in the UK.
“On behalf of APC UK chapter and with a heavy heart, I would like to announce the passing of Otunba Dapo Williams,
“He was one of the senior members of APC UK chapter and a leader within the Nigerian UK Diaspora community.
“Otunba Williams was an active member of the party, former leader of the Buhari Support Organisation and Chairman Emeritus of Nigeria Think Tank Group (NTTG),” Omole said.
He said Williams contributed immensely to the success of various developmental initiatives geared toward bringing Nigerians in the Diaspora into repute.
Omole urged members of the party to condole with the family of the deceased while awaiting the burial arrangements, adding that he would be forever remembered.
He also prayed God to give his family and friends the fortitude to bear the loss and grant his soul eternal rest.
According to the statement, the deceased was also a Board of Trustees (BOT) member of NTTG, United Kingdom
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Williams, who died in London, was a graduate of University of Salford, University of Cambridge and Harvard Business School.
He was on the frontline of mobilising support from Nigerians in Diaspora to assist the Federal Government’s efforts in battling COVID-19 as a member of the Nigerian Diaspora COVID-19 Eradication Support Group.
Edited By: Shuaib Sadiq/Mufutau Ojo) (NAN)
This News article: APC in UK pays tributes to late Dapo Williams is by Emmanuel Mogbede and it appeared first on https://nnn.com.ng/.
APC wins Nasarawa Central state constituency bye-election
All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, Ismail Danbaba, has won the bye-election for the Nasarawa Central State Constituency in the state House of Assembly.
Mr Iiyasu Umar, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) Returning Officer, announced the result of the bye-election conducted on Saturday in Nasarawa.
Announcing the result, Umar said the APC candidate scored 7,475 to defeat Mr Bage Nuhu of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) who got 4,608 votes.
He said that during the bye-election, 12,217 votes were cast, while 12,083 valid votes were recorded with 134 rejected votes.
“By the power conferred on me as the Returning Officer of this election, I hereby declared the APC candidate the winner, having scored the highest number of votes cast,’’ he declared.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that INEC scheduled the Nasarawa Central bye-election following the death of the member representing Nasarawa Central constituency at the state House of Assembly, Alhaji Suleiman Adamu (APC), on April 30.
Edited By: Tayo Ikujuni/Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)
This News article: APC wins Nasarawa Central state constituency bye-election is by Awayi Kuje and it appeared first on https://nnn.com.ng/.
PGF DG tasks APC Campaign Council on Edo governorship election
Mr Salihu Lukman, Director-General, Progressives Governors’ Forum (PGF), has urged the National Campaign Council of All Progressives Congress (APC) for Edo governorship election to focus its campaign on the party’s numerous achievements in the state.
Lukman said this in a statement in Abuja on Friday, saying that the council should ensure that APC campaign messages highlited all developmental projects of the APC administration of Gov. Godwin Obaseki.
“As part of those steps, it should ensure that APC campaign messages appropriate all development achievements recorded under the APC administration of Gov. Godwin Obaseki.
“In addition, we must take steps to also cut the oxygen supply to Peoples Democratic Party(PDP) campaign, which is presenting our party and our candidate as promoters of violence.
“Our campaign for the Edo election should therefore amplify messages of peace and what we need to do to achieve that.
“Having come out of a very difficult crisis, our leaders and all our party members must be vigilant to ensure that our politics is not recklessly managed as to reduce us to the level of just working to win elections by all means. That is far from progressive politics,” he said.
He added: “our leaders did not make all the sacrifices they made to achieve the merger of 2013 and resolve our last leadership crisis just because we want to win elections by all means, including through violent conducts.
“As progressives, our commitment to winning elections must be about earning the confidence of citizens. If anything, President Muhammadu Buhari should be our model at all times, especially when it borders on conducting political campaigns.
“It is to his credit that he never associates his political campaigns with violence since 2003, which is partly the reason why he could host his political campaigns with mammoth crowd running into millions without any violent incident.”
Lukman said that the APC needed to live up to its name by regulating the conducts of its leaders, especially during election campaign.
“We cannot claim to be progressives and conduct ourselves in an unaccountable manner. PDP cannot hold our politics hostage through the use of violence, and we come as APC, seeking to defeat them through violence.
“After recording much progress in the country by ensuring higher political competition based on which our people are able to vote and their votes count, only to turn around and begin to accommodate conducts of some of our leaders which promote the behaviour that election is about conquest.
“Once, as a party we are unable to check that then we lose our progressive orientation.
“Being progressives come with a commitment to develop our politics and ensure that political development guarantees freedom to elect leaders, which should also promote our socio-economic development.
“We need to be wary at the global trend whereby political campaigns only highlight problems based on a strategy of dismissing governments.
“While recognising that there are legitimate grounds to constantly critique our governments, objectivity would require that we go beyond the convenient boundaries of political sentiments.
“We need to at all times, as progressives, be able to assess our governments to determine whether we are making progress or not,” he said.
The APC Caretaker Committee Chairman, Gov. Mai Mala Buni of Yobe, had recently inaugurated the Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje led-campaign council to campaign for the party’s candidate, Mr Osagie Ize-Iyamu, ahead of the Sept. 19, governorship election.
Edited By: Kevin Okunzuwa/Ali Baba-Inuwa (NAN)
This News article: PGF DG tasks APC Campaign Council on Edo governorship election is by Abdulwahab Deji and it appeared first on https://nnn.com.ng/.
- Gwamna Fayemi yayi zaman makokin tsohon dan majalisar dokokin jihar Ekiti, Fakiyesi
- Sanwo-Olu ya ba da izinin kulawar asibiti na kwana 7 don cire manyan motoci, kwantena
- Ex-Rep wants Obaseki impeached over alleged breach of constitution
- DG APC Governors Forum tasks membership on participation, registration
- PDP BOT Chairman seeks conduct of LG election by INEC
- APC in UK pays tributes to late Dapo Williams
- Congress: PDP elects 39 party executives in Bauchi
- APC wins Nasarawa Central state constituency bye-election
- COVID-19: Lagos discharges 27 Nigerians, 5 foreigners
- Delta PDP returns Esiso as state chairman
- Senate President Lawan sponsors wedding for 300 less-privileged, orphans in Yobe
- PGF DG tasks APC Campaign Council on Edo governorship election
- Ondo 2020: Akeredolu’s running mate ‘ll APC’s chance – Party Chieftain
- 20,000 to benefit from NEDC Education Endowment Trust Fund — Chairman
- Anambra Assembly seeks intensified fight against rape, support for victims
- NASS working to strengthen Nigeria’s anti-graft laws — Omo-Agege
- Osinbajo receives Ize-Iyamu, Ganduje, sues for peaceful campaign in Edo
- WHO ta kara yin amfani da COVID-19, binciken TB tare da gwajin wayar hannu a cikin al'ummomin Kaduna
- Buhari ya gana da dan takarar gwamna na jam’iyyar Edo APC, Ize Iyamu a fadar Villa
- NGF pledges to provide support for performance assessment of states
- Gwamna Bagudu ya kafa kwamitin da zai mayar da mahajjata kudin Hajji
- Happening in Edo threat to constitutional order – Atiku
- INEC introduces election result viewing portal
- INEC threatens to halt Edo, Ondo polls if there is violence
- Credible election in Edo will rekindle Nigerians’ hope- Secondus
- LASG calls for synergy among security agencies
- APC appoints acting state chairman in Akwa Ibom
- COVID-19: BEDC donates 100 motoriised hand washing machines to states, others
- INEC to clear materials for previous elections
- Oyo Assembly to screen commissioner-nominee, Idowu-Oyeleke, Aug. 11
- We will resist attempt to illegally take over Edo Assembly, says Obaseki
- Zan rage ababen more rayuwa a Oyo, in ji Makinde
- COVID-19 real, Ohaneze ya gargaɗi yan kasuwa a Cross River
- Babu wani shiri da zai shigar da 'yan Boko Haram din da suka tuba zuwa aikin soja – Fadar Shugaban kasa
- Kwamishinan na Delta ya girmama saboda yaƙar COVID-19
- COVID-19: PTF ta gabatar da rahoto na wucin gadi, ta kira don bincika mai yawa ga mutanen da suka kamu da cutar
- Al’umman Ogbomoso sun yabi Buhari saboda girmama marigayi Firayim Ministan
- Sarkin Bauchi ya sake nada Bello Kirfi a matsayin Waziri na Bauchi
- Jam'iyyar APC ta tabbatar da mutuwar shugaban kungiyar A'Ibom
- Mutuwar ɗalibin: FG ta buga masana'antar Ibadan
- Obi ya rantsar da wanda zai maye gurbin shugaban karamar hukumar Asari-Toru a jihar Ribas
- Nestlé Nigeria ta nada sabon MD
- Obaseki ya musanta zargin da aka ba kamfanin ICPC na ba da kwangilar da ba ta dace ba
- Obaseki ta musanta zargin da aka bayar na bayar da kwangilar da ba ta dace ba
- Gwamnatin Obaseki ta dawo da girman kai, mutuncin mutanen Edo – Shaibu
- Gwamna AbdulRazaq ya kafa kwamitin bincike kan kadarorin Kwara
- Buhari ya taya sabon Shugaban NMA, Farfesa Innocent Ujah murnar zaben
- Tsohon dan majalisan ya bayyana shugaban PDP Ondo
- Iyakataccen hanzarinku akan manyan hanyoyi don gujewa hadarurruka, FRSC ta bukaci masu motoci
- Opposition lawmakers leading anti-corruption investigations says Elumelu