The Lagos State Government has dedicated this year’s Tree Planting Day to frontline health workers for their efforts at fighting the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, said this on Tuesday during the Lagos State Annual Tree Planting Day at the Infectious Disease Hospital (IDH), Yaba.
He said that the theme for this year’s Lagos State Tree Planting Day was ”Trees for life”, dedicated specially to the heroes on the frontline of the Coronavirus pandemic response.
”That is why we are here, at the Mainland Hospital in Yaba, the epicentre of our fight against the pandemic.
“This year’s edition of the Tree Planting Day is in honour of our frontline medical personnel, who toil, day after day, in the most challenging circumstances imaginable on behalf of the rest of us.
”We can draw parallels between the protective role trees play in the environment, and the roles of our health workers in protecting us from diseases and pandemics.
”It is therefore fitting that we are planting trees today to celebrate and support our health workers.
”And just as these trees will long outlive us, the heroic feats and sacrifices of our frontline health workers will also never be forgotten, even long after the pandemic is behind us,” he said.
The governor said that in the mist of the challenges of COVID-19, one could not afford to ignore the existing problems and issues that predated the pandemic.
According to him, COVID-19 cannot become an excuse for taking attention away from other issues such as climate change and environmental sustainability.
He said that Lagos had seen its own fair share of climate change as a coastal city which remained at the mercy of rising sea levels.
”As Africa’s most populated city, we have seen how demographic pressures have stripped the landscape of significant amounts of its forest cover.
”We are not immune from global warming and the various other climatic challenges experienced around the world. As a city, as a government, we have a duty and a responsibility to respond swiftly and comprehensively,” he said.
Sanwo-Olu said that nations of the world were in the final decade of the push for the attainment of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)outlined by the United Nations.
The governor said that Goal 13 of the SDGs challenged all to ”Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts”.
He added that Goal 15 sought to ”Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity.”
According to him, these two goals encapsulate the responsibility to take climate change seriously, and to do everything necessary to tackle it.
”Lagos State will continue to be at the forefront of sustainable climate action in Nigeria and Africa,” Sanwo-Olu said.
He commended LASPARK and urged it to continue to sensitise Lagosians about the importance of Tree Planting, and the necessity of caring for the environment.
”We do not have a back-up planet, so we must treat the Earth with respect and dignity.
”The trees we are about to plant today must be nurtured to grow and thrive, and contribute their part to protecting and safeguarding the environment,”he said.
Edited By: Remi Koleoso/Wale Ojetimi (NAN)
This News article: Lagos Govt. dedicates ”Tree Planting Day” to Coronavirus frontline health workers is by Florence Onuegbu and it appeared first on https://nnn.com.ng/.
COVID-19: Lagos discharges 27 Nigerians, 5 foreigners
The Lagos State Government has announced the recovery and discharge of 32 COVID-19 patients, consisting of 27 Nigerians and five foreigners.
Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu said in a statement on Saturday in Lagos that the patients were discharged after testing negative twice to the disease.
”Good people of Lagos, today, 32 #COVID-19 Lagos patients; 12 females and 20 males, including five foreign nationals were discharged from the isolation facilities to reunite with society.
”The patients – one from Agidingbi; eight from Onikan; five from Mainland Infectious Disease Hospital, Yaba; nine from Gbagada, four from Vidic Centre and five from LUTH Isolation Centres were discharged after full recovery.
”Being worried about or afraid of the global pandemic are valid emotions and being conscious of the existence of #COVID-19 is fine but don’t let it overwhelm you.
”#CalmDown. Don’t give in to fear. #CalmDown. Don’t Panic. Everything will turn out fine at the end.
”#TakeResponsibility. #ForACOVID-19FreeLagos, Let’s #Staysafe!,” Sanwo-Olu said.
Edited By: Chinyere Bassey/Silas Nwoha (NAN)
This News article: COVID-19: Lagos discharges 27 Nigerians, 5 foreigners is by Florence Onuegbu and it appeared first on https://nnn.com.ng/.
Breastfeeding Week: Lagos First Lady seeks exclusive breastfeeding for child’s growth
First Lady of Lagos State, Dr Ibijoke Sanwo-Olu, on Tuesday urged expectant and nursing mothers to embrace exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months after delivery.
In a message to commemorate 2020 World Breastfeeding Week (WBW), Sanwo-Olu said that exclusive breastfeeding would go a long way to improve a child’s growth and development.
She said that the importance of exclusive breastfeeding could not be over emphasised, hence, the need for mothers to embrace the practice to safeguard the health of their babies.
”As a mother and physician myself, I have a clear idea of the high impact of exclusive breastfeeding on Maternal, Newborn and Child Health and Nutrition.
”Hence the need for expectant and nursing mothers to be encouraged to embrace the practice to improve child growth and development.
”When observed for the first six months after birth, exclusive breastfeeding helps in no small measure to reduce morbidity in children.
”It helps to strengthen the immune system and protects against serious diseases such as respiratory infections, low growth, diarrhea and pneumonia, among others,” the First Lady said.
According to her, observing exclusive breastfeeding is equally beneficial to the nursing mothers, as it helps to burn extra calories and also lowers their risk of breast and ovarian cancer.
She said that exclusive breastfeeding also lowers the risk of Osteoporosis, a medical condition in which the bones become fragile from loss of tissue.
”Without mincing words, there are several benefits inherent in strict adherence to the practice of exclusive breastfeeding for both children and mothers.
”It is for this reason that I urge expectant and nursing mothers to embrace it to safeguard the health of their children,” Sanwo-Olu said.
Speaking on the theme of this year’s celebration – ”Support Breastfeeding For A Healthier Planet”, she said it could not had come at a better time than now as the world contended with COVID-19 pandemic that had changed life.
”This has brought to the fore the need for all, especially relatives, colleagues, and the community generally to make it a priority to support expectant and nursing mothers to observe exclusive breastfeeding for the recommended period.
”It is our collective responsibility to create the enabling environment for mothers to breastfeed optimally in the interest of the health of our children and mothers,” the First Lady said.
The WBW, which was inaugurated in 1991, is celebrated annually from Aug. 1 to Aug. 7 in over 120 countries across the globe, to promote breastfeeding as an effective practice to engender mother and child wellbeing.
Edited By: Dorcas Jonah/Wale Ojetimi (NAN)
This News article: Breastfeeding Week: Lagos First Lady seeks exclusive breastfeeding for child’s growth is by Florence Onuegbu and it appeared first on https://nnn.com.ng/.
Oyo govt. don mayar da 'yan asalin fataucin' yan asalin da ke cikin Lebanon – Makinde
Gov. Seyi Makinde na jihar Oyo ya ce jihar za ta tabbatar da mayar da dukkan 'yan asalin kasarta da aka samu fataucin su zuwa Lebanon.
Hakan na kunshe ne a cikin wata sanarwa da ta fito ranar Lahadi a Ibadan ta hannun Babban Sakataren yada labarai na Gwamna, Mista Taiwo Adisa.
Sanarwar ta nuna cewa Makinde ta bayyana hakan ne yayin da take karbar karin bayani game da yanayin 'yan asalin kasar da ke safarar su zuwa Lebanon daga hannun Mataimaki na Musamman kan al'amuran' Yan kasashen waje, Misis Bolanle Sarumi-Aliyu.
Gwamnan ya ce jihar ba za ta tsaya ta na kallon 'yan asalin kasarta na fuskantar barna ba, a kowane bangare na duniya.
"Za mu biya fansar duk wasu 'yan asalin jihar Oyo wadanda aka tabbatar da cewa ana fataucin su zuwa Lebanon. Don Allah, a sanya duk tsare-tsaren da ake bukata don dawo da su.
"Na fahimci cewa wasu daidaikun mutane da kungiyoyi sun ba da gudummawa ga wasu daga cikin wadanda abin ya shafa. Bari suyi amfani da irin wannan gudummawa kamar kudin aljihu.
"Wannan jihar za ta biya jiragen su tashi da kuma kudaden da aka nema don gudanar da gwajin COVID-19 a kan kowannen su," in ji shi.
Tun da farko, Sarumi-Aliyu ya sanar da gwamnan cewa wasu 'yan asalin jihar Oyo da dama an gano su baƙi ne ba bisa ƙa'ida ba waɗanda aka safarar cikin bautar zamani a Lebanon.
Ta ce yayin da aka tantance 40 daga cikin irin wadannan wadanda abin ya shafa kuma a shirye suke da su dawo gida, ana ci gaba da gano sauran.
Mataimakin gwamnan ya kara da cewa ofishinta na aiki kafada da kafada da hukumomin kasar ta Lebanon don gano wadancan 'yan asalin da ke cikin kasar ta Lebanon, tare da kara da cewa mutanen 40 da aka riga aka bincika za su dawo gida ranar 12 ga watan Agusta.
"Tun bayan da gwamnati ta gano cewa muna da wasu da ke fama da fataucin mutane, wadanda ke makale a Lebanon, mun shiga ciki.
"A ranar 11 ga Yuli, mun sami mutane 11 da suka jikkata kuma suna shirin yin gyara tare da ma'aikatan jin dadin jama'a a Ma'aikatar Mata.
“Kasar ta ba da alƙawarin cewa dukkaninsu za su sami ƙarfi. Haka abin zai kasance ga waɗanda muke sa rai daga jirgin sama daga Lebanon a wannan Agusta, da zarar an share su. ” Sarumi-Aliyu ya bayyana.
Edited 'Wale Sadeeq ne
Wannan Labarin Labaran: Oyo govt. don mayar da 'yan asalin fataucin' yan asalin da ke cikin Lebanon – Makinde ta David Adeoye ne kuma ya fara bayyana a kan https://nnn.com.ng/.
Ogun Govt ya umarci daukacin malaman makarantun sakandare su koma 3 ga watan Agusta
Gwamnatin Ogun ta umarci dukkan Malaman makarantun sakandare da ke jihar da su koma ranar Litinin, 3 ga watan Agusta kafin fara jarabawar kammala makarantun sakandare na Afirka ta Yamma (WASSCE) da za a yi a ranar 17 ga watan Agusta.
Mai ba gwamna shawara ta musamman ga gwamna kan ilimin firamare da sakandare, Mrs Ronke Soyombo ce ta ba da wannan umarnin a Abeokuta ranar Juma'a.
Soyombo ya nakalto Gov. Dapo Abiodun na Ogun yana cewa manufar ita ce baiwa malamai damar aiki tare da shugabanninsu a shirye-shiryen sake dawo da daliban a ranar 4 ga watan Agusta.
Abiodun ya ce umarnin ya kasance ga malamai a makarantun gwamnati da na masu zaman kansu domin a basu damar taimakawa wajen rarraba kayan da gwamnatin jihar ta tanada domin jarrabawar.
Ya ce duk ka'idojin da gwamnati ta gindaya na tsayawa daliban, dukkan shugabannin makarantu za su bi su sosai.
Ya umurci dukkan masu ruwa da tsaki da su hada hannu da gwamnatin jihar don tabbatar da dawo da makarantu lafiya.
“Gwamnatin jihar Ogun tana son sanar da jama'a cewa dukkan daliban sakandare uku a makarantun gwamnati da na masu zaman kansu za su koma makaranta a ranar 4 ga watan Agusta a shirye suke don yin karatun fidda gwani a gaban su WASSCE.
"Ana yin wannan bita ne domin cike gibin ilimi da rarar ga daliban da ba za su iya bin tsarin aji da gwamnatin jihar ta sanya wa lakabi da Ogundigiclass ba yayin da suke gida.
Ya ce, daliban da abin ya shafa su koma makarantunsu daban a ranar Talata, 4 ga watan Agusta, in ji shi.
Daidaita Daga: Joe Idika / Felix Ajide (NAN)
Wannan Labarin: Ogun Govt ya umarci duk malamin makarantar sakandare da su sake zuwa 3 ga Agusta.
- Gwamna Fayemi yayi zaman makokin tsohon dan majalisar dokokin jihar Ekiti, Fakiyesi
- Sanwo-Olu ya ba da izinin kulawar asibiti na kwana 7 don cire manyan motoci, kwantena
- Ex-Rep wants Obaseki impeached over alleged breach of constitution
- DG APC Governors Forum tasks membership on participation, registration
- PDP BOT Chairman seeks conduct of LG election by INEC
- APC in UK pays tributes to late Dapo Williams
- Congress: PDP elects 39 party executives in Bauchi
- APC wins Nasarawa Central state constituency bye-election
- COVID-19: Lagos discharges 27 Nigerians, 5 foreigners
- Delta PDP returns Esiso as state chairman
- Senate President Lawan sponsors wedding for 300 less-privileged, orphans in Yobe
- PGF DG tasks APC Campaign Council on Edo governorship election
- Ondo 2020: Akeredolu’s running mate ‘ll APC’s chance – Party Chieftain
- 20,000 to benefit from NEDC Education Endowment Trust Fund — Chairman
- Anambra Assembly seeks intensified fight against rape, support for victims
- NASS working to strengthen Nigeria’s anti-graft laws — Omo-Agege
- Osinbajo receives Ize-Iyamu, Ganduje, sues for peaceful campaign in Edo
- WHO ta kara yin amfani da COVID-19, binciken TB tare da gwajin wayar hannu a cikin al'ummomin Kaduna
- Buhari ya gana da dan takarar gwamna na jam’iyyar Edo APC, Ize Iyamu a fadar Villa
- NGF pledges to provide support for performance assessment of states
- Gwamna Bagudu ya kafa kwamitin da zai mayar da mahajjata kudin Hajji
- Happening in Edo threat to constitutional order – Atiku
- INEC introduces election result viewing portal
- INEC threatens to halt Edo, Ondo polls if there is violence
- Credible election in Edo will rekindle Nigerians’ hope- Secondus
- LASG calls for synergy among security agencies
- APC appoints acting state chairman in Akwa Ibom
- COVID-19: BEDC donates 100 motoriised hand washing machines to states, others
- INEC to clear materials for previous elections
- Oyo Assembly to screen commissioner-nominee, Idowu-Oyeleke, Aug. 11
- We will resist attempt to illegally take over Edo Assembly, says Obaseki
- Zan rage ababen more rayuwa a Oyo, in ji Makinde
- COVID-19 real, Ohaneze ya gargaɗi yan kasuwa a Cross River
- Babu wani shiri da zai shigar da 'yan Boko Haram din da suka tuba zuwa aikin soja – Fadar Shugaban kasa
- Kwamishinan na Delta ya girmama saboda yaƙar COVID-19
- COVID-19: PTF ta gabatar da rahoto na wucin gadi, ta kira don bincika mai yawa ga mutanen da suka kamu da cutar
- Al’umman Ogbomoso sun yabi Buhari saboda girmama marigayi Firayim Ministan
- Sarkin Bauchi ya sake nada Bello Kirfi a matsayin Waziri na Bauchi
- Jam'iyyar APC ta tabbatar da mutuwar shugaban kungiyar A'Ibom
- Mutuwar ɗalibin: FG ta buga masana'antar Ibadan
- Obi ya rantsar da wanda zai maye gurbin shugaban karamar hukumar Asari-Toru a jihar Ribas
- Nestlé Nigeria ta nada sabon MD
- Obaseki ya musanta zargin da aka ba kamfanin ICPC na ba da kwangilar da ba ta dace ba
- Obaseki ta musanta zargin da aka bayar na bayar da kwangilar da ba ta dace ba
- Gwamnatin Obaseki ta dawo da girman kai, mutuncin mutanen Edo – Shaibu
- Gwamna AbdulRazaq ya kafa kwamitin bincike kan kadarorin Kwara
- Buhari ya taya sabon Shugaban NMA, Farfesa Innocent Ujah murnar zaben
- Tsohon dan majalisan ya bayyana shugaban PDP Ondo
- Iyakataccen hanzarinku akan manyan hanyoyi don gujewa hadarurruka, FRSC ta bukaci masu motoci
- Opposition lawmakers leading anti-corruption investigations says Elumelu