Lagos, April 29, 2019 Some hawkers that sell their goods in wheel barrows have identified extortions by street urchins and social miscreants as their greatest challenge.
They told the News Agency of Nigeria that the dispositions of the social miscreants popularly called `agbero’ or area boys had made it hard for them to either break even or sustain their businesses.
This group of mobile sellers normally display: yams, onions, tomatoes, potatoes, oranges, pineapples, carrots, cabbages and others in their wheel barrows for sale.
They used to push their `mobile’ shops along the highways and inside streets to sell to prospective buyers who might not have the time to go to markets frequently.
“But, the social miscreants usually called `agbero’ or area boys usually extort money from us under fictitious means and this has continued to affect the growth of our businesses.”
They said that the attitudes of the miscreants usually disturbed them because the market values of what they normally displayed for sale were most times below N5,000.
They said that the miscreants would never show pity on them rather they would be ordering them to pay levies for all sorts of unimaginable things.
Mohammed Abubakar, who coordinates those selling goods inside wheel barrows in Surulere area, said that the attitudes of social miscreants were enough threats to send his members out of business.
“Each of us collects a daily N250-mandatory ticket from the social miscreants without anybody explaining to us what it was meant for.
“They also demand that each of us must pay another N200 for dustbin removal daily.’’
Abubakar said that his members used to explain to the miscreants that it was not every time they used to finish selling their wares same day.
He said that when they displayed the left over the following day, the miscreants would still expect them to pay them levies again.
“Such explanations used to fall on deaf ears. What the miscreants are interested in is their levies,’’ he said.
He said that because of that ugly incident, most of his members had resolved to be selling their goods at evenings when majority of those extorting them would have retired from the streets.
Abubakar added that sellers of yams in this category also moved in groups of between five and 10 so that they could do collective bargaining anytime the `agbero’ wanted to extort them.
“Mostly, we buy goods worth between N2,500 and N5,000. Unfortunately, part of the perishable ones among them will have gone bad before we finish selling them.
“We do not sell with much profit; we like to finish selling quickly so that we can buy fresh ones.
“With that, our losses will be minimal, especially, on perishable goods but the urchins do not listen to such explanations,’’ he said.
Also, Lawal Ahmed, said that the miscreants usually come up with different levies anytime they wanted outside the daily levies they used to charge his members.
“The refuse for which they collect money to clear are left untouched for days. We have to engage local waste collectors,’’ he said.
Shaibu Abu told NNN that some of them had wanted to rent shops but the charges were very costly.
“Selling my wares by the wheel barrow is better for me because I will not quarrel with any landlord or care taker over shop rent when it is due.
“I do travel during the planting season for almost half of the year. If I rent a shop, its rent will be running while I am away,’’ he said.
He said that most times, they used to sell to shop owners, residents and those walking on the street.
Abu said that those hawking through wheel barrows used to exert much strength to push them when loaded with goods.
He, however, said that over the years, they had mastered it.
Similarly, Isiaka Awwal told NNN that on a good day when certain goods were scarce or there were high demands for them, they made good profits.
“During the Muslims’ fasting period, we make good profits on fruits because of the high demands,’’ he said.
- Seoul announces stimulus package to combat economic impact of virus
- Why GTB will win digital payment space — CEO
- Poland’s Kaczynski hits back at EU criticism over rule of law
- Qualify first worry later: Marathoners say no time to fear Olympic cancellation
- CHAN partners LGAs to improve healthcare service delivery in Nasarawa
- ”I made a terrible mistake marrying my husband” – Woman tells court.
- Residents of Ibadan experience first rain in 2020
- Pope cancels more meetings after slight illness
- Nasarawa govt. re-constructs Govt. College Keffi road ahead of KOBA 70th anniversary.
- Court remands tailor for allegedly defiling 13-year-old girl
- EU’s Borrell seeks end to Syria escalation, warns of measures
- Duterte formally bans vaping in public places
- New Zealand’s farmers struggle with drought conditions
- NIRSAL partners Microsoft to reduce agricultural risks, attract investors
- FRSC will not condone 2 passengers in front seat – Spokesperson
- Russia sends warships to Syria, blames Ankara for killing of Turkish troops
- South Korea coronavirus infections top 2000, case rate slows in China
- MMIA: FAAN urges passengers not to entertain fear during simulation exercise
- Storm forces cancellation of ski World Cup race in Austria
- South Korean boy band BTS cancels concerts amid coronavirus fears
- Perm. Sec. urges NSE to embrace self development
- Critics urge Nollywood filmmakers to value criticism
- Greta Thunberg to draw thousands at British climate rally
- Indian police arrest over 500 for Delhi sectarian violence
- Taiwan president orders files from martial-law era declassified
- Hundreds of migrants in Turkey head towards EU borders – media
- ‘Don’t jump on every social media trend’ – Experts tell businesses
- Pet dog suspected of having coronavirus quarantined in Hong Kong
- Restrictions eased in New Delhi as riot death toll hits 38
- Japan’s vice justice minister to visit Lebanon over Ghosn case
- U.S. Embassy conducts Hackathon Workshop
- Russia suspends entry of Iranian Nationals amid Coronavirus outbreak
- COVID19: NCDC deploys rapid response teams to Lagos
- Return govt. property in your possession, Gov. Makinde tells ex-office holders
- U.S. provides Defender patrol boats to Djiboutian Navy
- Umrah Suspension: NAHCON urges stakeholders to comply with Saudi Arabia directives
- Nigeria records first case of COVID-19
- Encourage children to explore their creative talent, Curator urges
- Ramping up the fight against Fall Armyworm
- Assistant Minister for Foreign Affairs meets Egypt’s Assistant Foreign Minister for Human Rights and International Humanitarian and Social Affairs
- Lagos Govt confirms first case of COVID-19
- Ighalo scores as Manchester United, Wolves, Roma move into last 16, FC Porto, Arsenal, Ajax out
- Demand to declare Orji Kalus’s seat vacant presumptuous – Onuoha-Bourdex
- NAN Correspondent wins 2019 Best Sports Reporter in Kwara
- Insurgency: NYSC organises tournament for peace, unity in Borno
- Council inducts 34 veterinary doctors from Michael Okpara varsity
- SMW 2020: Mixed reactions trail Social Media, Hate Speech Commission Bills
- Gov. Ganduje lays foundation of military training facility in Falgore Forest
- Nigeria’s 2020 Finance Act ‘ll end tax multiplicity- FIRS Coordinator
- Police regular capacity building will check crime, says Retired DIG Ajao
- NDHS survey shows only 31% Nigerians received basic vaccination
- Enugu LG election: PDP chairmanship candidate calls for peaceful election
- Minister advises state govt. to set up ministry of science and technology
- Senator earns only N700,000 monthly, not jumbo pay – Bashiru
- NBTI D-G advocates food processing industries in Benue
- Erratic power supply, others hinder 5G development in Nigeria- NCC
- Gov. Mohammed chairs PDP 2019 general elections review committee
- Ebonyi govt lauds American group for free healthcare to indigent children
- NASS decries poor researches on indigenous agricultural seeds
- Court remands Mama Boko Haram, 3 others over alleged N42m fraud
- Buhari condoles with Emir Sanusi over uncle’s death
- Establish Entertainment Ministry, veteran actor, Lari Williams, urges FG
- Kwara Govt seeks measures to improve cocoa export
- Katsina Transport Authority explains hike in transport fare
- NDE creates 40,000 new jobs for unemployed Nigerians – D-G
- Court remands 2 men over alleged culpable homicide, membership of secret society
- Tokyo 2020 tickets goes between $32 & $33 — Agent
- 64th UNCSW: FG says gender inclusion, health, poverty top Nigeria’s agenda
- FCTA warns school principals against disobedience, dereliction
- Senate proposes stiffer sanctions for gas flaring from 2021
- Oyo govt. ‘ll take proactive measures to curb clashes in public schools
- Nigerians want FG to deepen efforts in preventing Covid-19
- Institute exposes youth farmers to new water management technology for wheat prodcution
- Polish-Sudanese political consultations in Warsaw
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs Undersecretary Opens the Ethiopian Trade and Cultural Week
- ‘Amotekun’: German lawmaker expresses optimism in security outfit
- Problem of Nigerian Judiciary is capacity, not independence – Sen. Basiru
- OYRTMA to partner LGs, LCDAs on rehabilitation of rural roads
- Lagos to build e-agriprenuers to drive agriculture, digital marketing- Commissioner
- Gov. Lalong congratulates Gen. Bali @80
- Expert calls for sensitisation of miners, solid minerals’ stakeholders
- EFCC arrests 3 for allegedly duping Ibadan high chief, Lekan Balogun, of 300m
- Nasarawa Govt. reiterates readiness to revitalise tourist centres to boost IGR
- Court declares Dep. Gov. Achuba’s removal illegal, null, void
- Kalasha International TV and Film Market 2020
- Court declares PDP had no candidate in Kogi Governorship Election
- Guinea: UK statement on upcoming elections and referendum
- SMW 2020: FG should build sustainable models to bridge skills gap — Panelists
- ITF trains, empowers 450,000
- Former Deputy Gov. urges Zamfara Commissioners to support the poor
- Ogun govt. assures better learning environment in tertiary institutions
- Speaker of the Senate of Kenya received the Ambassador of Cuba
- Gov. Lalong mourns AIG Ali Jos
- Syria says civilian killed in Israeli drone strike in Golan Heights
- Namibian cosmetics go global
- NSE: Depressed sentiment, unimpressive earnings take toll on trading
- Security man nabbed over death of girl friend in Ekiti
- Gov. Ugwuanyi receives 20th NSF’s Torch of Unity, commends Sports Ministry
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) welcomes European Union contribution of €11 million to fight Desert Locust outbreak
- SMW 2020: Activist, tech enthusiasts want private sector collaboration for better Nigeria
- PAACA trains traditional, religious leaders on using FOI to fight corruption
- Huawei to build first European 5G factory in France to soothe Western nerves
- Don’t allow anything to disrupt peace in Ibadan, Bishop Wale-Oke urges residents
- Kwara Volleyball Association discovers new talent, reinforces team
- Germany’s Maas calls attacks on civilians in Idlib ‘war crimes’
- Minister commends Rotary Club’s gesture to FCT healthcare delivery
- Minimum Wage: Controversy trails implementation of consequential adjustment in Adamawa
- Edo 2020: MOC, LOC to inspect facilities, venues
- 1,083 road crashes involving trailers, tankers recorded in 2019 – FRSC
- UMTH holds tender bid for capital projects
- Ogun ICT Poly launches environmental corps
- AEDC wants FG to waive import duties on meters
- Corruption: NDE trains personnel on public procurement compliance
- Olympics Qualifiers: Toriola, Oshonaike on course to make history
- Businesses enjoy environment when symbiotic relationship exist — Lagos Speaker
- Greece worries about migrant camps as coronavirus takes hold
- Insecurity: Cleric advocates adequate priority for youth development
- Minister of Foreign Affairs meets with Minister of State in charge of Human Rights and Relations with the Parliament of Kingdom of Morocco in Geneva
- Britain, on trade collision course with EU, says it could walk away
- UDUS mulls establishment of Infectious Disease Center
- Food security: FG warns agricultural stakeholders against fake seeds
- FIDA urges mothers to speak out against incest in society
- Kwara records 76 fire incidents in 2 months – Official
- Anambra Assembly calls for construction of quarantine facility to check disease outbreaks
- KASU don unveils 2 books on love, ancestors
- UAE provides food aid to 32,000 families in Madagascar
- Kwara Govt says new policy on salary payment not punitive
- Turkish-backed rebels say they regain pivotal Syrian town Saraqeb
- NABDA to produce indigenous microorganisms for making yogurt, yeast
- Senator drums support for state police
- Electricity: GenCos fail to generate 2,914 megawatts due to gas shortage
- Ensure speedy passage of Whistleblower Protection Bill, Anti-corruption experts urge NASS
- Reps make case for completion of 2nd Niger Bridge
- EU mobilises €10m more to respond to severe Desert Locust outbreak in East Africa
- Germany eyes fiscal plan to counter coronavirus impact
- 3 Internet fraudsters plead guilty in Ilorin
- AU leaders converge on Abuja; seek good governance, economic development
- WHO chief says coronavirus outbreak has reached ‘decisive’ point
- Anambra will be ready for memorable hosting of Police Games, Rojenny MD says
- Cargo clearance: FG to procure more scanning machines
- APRM: Buhari pledges support for 2nd country Review
- Vodacom Super Rugby Preview – Round 5
- China will fight against COVID-19 until war is won globally – Embassy
- COE Akwanga matriculates 4,125 students
- ITF graduates, empowers 200 trainees with start-up packs in Ebonyi
- “Gas is Critical for Sub-Saharan Africa’s Energy Future,” says GE Gas Power Summit in Cape Town, South Africa
- Digital writing promotes community communication — Panel
- Katsina State Transport Authority reassures passengers of safety, comfort
- CPC confiscates 28 bags of adulterated sesame in Jigawa
- Boko Haram attacking Christians to trigger religious war – FG raises alarm
- Stakeholders seek improved electricity supply before tariff increment
- Organised Labour to begin strike over Minimum Wage in Kebbi state
- Police kill 17 bandits, recover 189 rustled animals in Katsina -PPRO
- Enugu govt. to train over 120 farmers on pre-season planting—Official
- College of Health Technology, Makarfi to introduce HND in Nutrition, Medical Imaging Technology
- NGO trains Journalists to check spread of fake news
- Group trains journalists on dissemination of family planning information
- Edo coaches, athletes ready to win medals at 20th NSF, Osifo says
- FRSC, NSC commence North-West Truck sensitisation rally in Kaduna
- Update: Death toll rises to 32 in religious violence in India’s capital
- Lagos Bus Services Ltd moves 9 million commuters, plans to double fleet
- Cash Transfer: Agency enrolls 176,748 poor, vulnerable households in Katsina — Official
- Don advocates passage of disability education bill by NASS
- Brexit talks will be tough and short, but possible, EU’s Barnier
- Look at disability issues beyond medical, charity perspectives, Advocate urges Nigerians
- Make farming attractive to youths, Kwara monarch advises government
- Theft of telecommunication companies’ equipment, insecurity responsible for drop calls, says Airtel V-P
- EU says equivalence for financial services not part of trade talks with UK
- IOC says it’s committed to Tokyo Games amid coronavirus concerns
- Edo Oil Palm Programme: State Govt. to cultivate 51.8ha in Phase 1
- Bill for Armed Forces Support Fund passes 2nd reading
- FCE (Techincal) Akoka matriculates 1051
- Port Harcourt DisCo to engage customers on new tariff
- Child Protection: UNICEF wants Kaduna govt to establish family courts
- SEC restates commitment to ease of doing business in capital market
- Tree planting: Organisation takes programme to schools for continuity
- Taraba agric ministry organises peace parley to end farmers/herders clashes
- Buhari condoles with family of former NIIA, DG, Rowland Anyanwu
- 100 Anambra indigenes train in beekeeping for quality honey production
- ‘National Gallery of Arts deserves a befitting edifice- Board chairman
- Activists win environmental appeal against Heathrow airport expansion
- European court condemns Azerbaijan for trial of journalist
- Constituency projects: ICPC tells traditional, religious leaders to demand accountability using FOI
- Provost charges new radiographers to be change agents
- Zamfara: 41 APC chieftains defect to PDP in Talata-Mafara LGA
- NAIC boss advises farmers to insure agricultural products
- Ward count of older people, necessary for optimal healthcare -Group
- Kaduna Statistics Bureau begins household survey for data generation, planning
- Perm Sec calls for more tree planting
- Kwara Govt to renovate 193 healthcare centres
- LG polls: security heightened at Enugu SIEC office
- Justice Monitoring Committee nominates Cleen Foundation to represent CSOs
- Adequate welfare will reduce health sector brain drain — Expert
- Man,48, in court over alleged N550,000 land fraud
- Italy: Online mask retailers demanding exorbitant prices to face criminal charges
- C/River: Police arrest five suspected kidnappers, four armed robbers
- LASG promises advocacy on communicable and non-communicable diseases
- Thai police find bodies of 7 suspected drug traffickers
- More than 50,000 Migrants in Libya have Benefited from Voluntary Humanitarian Return Assistance Since 2015
- Delivery workers call for safety measures against coronavirus