For allegedly converting hotel money into his personal use, a 49-year-old hotel supervisor, Dotun Akingbade, on Monday appeared before an Ikeja Chief Magistrates’ Court.
The defendant, whose residential address is at No. 5, Olugbenga St., Agbado-Ijaiye in Lagos, is facing a two-count-charge of stealing and breach of peace.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the defendant pleaded not guilty to the charge.
According to the Police Prosecutor, Insp. Matthew Akhaloude, the defendant allegedly stole the sum of N154, 000 from the complainant, one Prince Ademola Adunola.
Akhaloude told the court that the defendant committed the offences sometime in February 2018, between 6.00 a.m. to 12.00 p.m. daily at Dansoky Hotel, No. 3, Prince Ademola Adunola St., Ijaiye, Ojokoro, Lagos.
He said the defendant conducted himself in a manner likely to cause a breach of peace by selling the wines of the hotel and diverting the money into his pocket.
“The defendant, who was employed six months ago, also sold some of the hotel’s property, without the consent of the owner.
“All attempts to recover the money from the defendant were futile,” the prosecutor said.
The offences violate Sections 287 (7) and 168 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
NAN reports that stealing from an employer, under the law, attracts a term of seven years imprisonment, while those who breach public peace face a six-month term.
The Chief Magistrate, Mrs A.A. Adetunji, admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N200, 000 with two sureties in like sum.
Adetunji ordered that the sureties must be gainfully employed with evidence of two years tax payments to the Lagos State Government and should also have their addresses verified.
She added that the sureties must be blood relations of the defendant and adjourned the case until May 31, for mention.
(Edited by Idonije Obakhedo)
- COVID-19: Global solidarity only hope for humanity, says Buhari
- NGF to engage AGF on financial autonomy for states’ judiciary, legislature
- Ndume asks Buhari to assent to Peace Corps Bill
- Lagos BRT operator announces increase in fares
- Group seeks end to age-limit for women seeking assisted reproduction technology in Lagos
- Group honours Niger citizens killed in violence
- Don’t expose your children to cold during rainy season, Paediatrician warns parents
- ICPC investigating cases of COVID-19 fraud — official
- APC distributes palliatives to indigents, vulnerable in Ebonyi
- Court convicts 24 motorists in Imo for violating COVID-19 guidelines
- Thai-Malaysian border shuts again after reports of new COVID-19 cases
- Africa’s COVID-19 cases hit 123,000 – WHO
- COVID-19: Katsina builds 722-bed capacity isolation centres – Masari
- Old students donate N1m to Plateau COVID-19 fund
- COVID-19: NHIS donates PPE to Police
- Revised 2020 budget: Buhari seeks Senate approval for $5.513bn external loans
- Rwandan top genocide fugitive gets life sentence
- English Premier League to restart on June 17
- I-G orders deployment of 11 CPs to states, formations
- Abacha Loot III: Ministry of Justice opens technical bid for implementation monitoring