Connect with us

General news

Housing cooperative, easiest way to acquire shelter-Surveyor

Published

on

Chief Leonard Ugwu, a fellow of the Nigeria Institute of Surveyor, says housing cooperative is the easiest way for Nigerians to acquire shelter.

Ugwu, who is also an estate developer and Chief Executive of Light Hill Group, said this in an interview with the Nigeria News Agency on Tuesday in Enugu.

He said people needed to be informed on benefits of cooperative society, especially the housing cooperative scheme.

Ugwu said that one of the necessities of man was shelter noting that it was the most expensive of the basic needs of man.

He said the company just finished registration of its cooperative society meant for housing.

According to him, the idea behind the company’s cooperative and multi-purpose society is in making people to have their dream houses.

The estate developer also said that the company believed in housing cooperative scheme for the essence of acquiring property which had been identified as one of the problems confronting man.

“If you come into the country with a population of about 200 million people, only 30 per cent have access to decent living; it is poor, what happened to the remaining 70 per cent?

“Out of the 30 per cent that have decent houses, 10 per cent are politicians while 20 per cent are the middle income earners which comprise senior civil servants among others.

“You see that the low income people are the one suffering it, the people who make these elites what they are, yet they do not have any living.

“Some sleep under the bridges, some stay along the streets; that is, why we have high level of insecurity in the country.

“When someone does not have a befitting living, the person cannot think well and that is why we felt that we should come under the umbrella of cooperative societies and provide the needful to our populace.

“For any viable thing in this world, one person must take a lead and Light Hill Cooperative Societies are taking the lead to provide affordable housing.

“Here, we think of the comfort of the building, an estate where you have roads and drainages you have trees, play grounds for recreation and other.

“As a senior surveyor, I am taking estate development as a passion, we have demonstrated it in Vivian Estate in Enugu and the federal government has certified that it is one of the best estates they have ever seen.

“We felt that people are dying out of ignorance; emphatically south east zone is one of the major contributors in national housing fund but the least assessors.

“We believe in individualism, the time for republican is gone, we want people that will bring in euphemism, and the only time you can think positively is the time you are comfortable,” he added.

He encouraged people to come together, mobilize fund together as a cooperative and do it by themselves.

Edited by: Olawunmi Ashafa/Maureen Atuonwu

Load more

Contact US: editor[at]nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247[at]gmail.com

Recent Posts

NNN News Nigeria: NNN is an online Nigeria news portal that publishes breaking news in politics, business, entertainment, sport, security, features, opinion, environment, education, technology, and the world news at large. NNN publishes only news that is factual, credible, verifiable, authoritative and investigative. NNN is a media subscriber of the News Agency of Nigeria. NNN is a unique media organization that is founded in the spirit of Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, comprising of ordinary people with an overriding commitment to seeking the truth and publishing it without fear or favor. Contact: editor[at]nnn.com.ng

© 2014 - 2019 NNN News Nigeria. All Rights Reserved.