The Nigeria Farmers Group and Cooperative Society (NFGCS), on Tuesday said that one major way to boost local rice consumption among Nigerians is to invest in local fabrication of de-stoning machines.
National Coordinator, Mr Tedheke Retson, made this known in an interview with the Nigeria News Agency at the NFGCS farm, Gaate, Nasawara State.
Retson, who was reacting to complaints that some of the local rice purchased during 2019 yuletide was filled with stones, said de-stoning had become necessary in view of Nigerians’ continued apathy to local rice.
He said that beyond border closure, governments at all levels as well as relevant stakeholders must begin to work towards making local rice stone-free so as to increase demand and boost production.
“The major challenge with regard to production and with stones is that we do not have proper de-stoning machines.
“What does it take to begin to fabricate and make de-stoning machines in Nigeria, grading machines in Nigeria that can work towards properly de-stoned rice in Nigeria?
“It has to form a part of the Nigeria question and what is that Nigeria question?’’ he asked.
He urged Nigerians to continue to patronise local rice while relevant bodies and stakeholders continued to work to improve the standard.
While admitting that a lot needed to be done to make Nigerian products, particularly rice, more acceptable locally and internationally, Retson urged Nigerians not to give up on the country.
He noted that most robust economies of the world started on rough paths.
“The stone is a process of our development. We will rid the rice of stones, as we rid them of the stones we will get better with fabricating our parboiling equipment.
“As we get better with parboiling, we get better with colour sorting.
“As we get better in colour sorting, we get better in using rice for pharmaceutical products, for other value addition to rice.
“Not just as staple food, but also as a source of major industrial growth and industrial revolution in Nigeria.
“In the 1980s, nobody wanted to buy anything made in China, but today, the world is made in China. Nigerians must understand that it will first get worse before it becomes better.
`There is no country in the world that became an engineering or technological power house overnight.
“Have we forgotten so fast that in 1957, Toyota was rejected by the Americans?
“Who is the largest car making company today? Toyota. Because they went back home and corrected that flaw and made it better.
“That is what Nigerians need to do.
“Whatever we suffered in December, the question we need to begin to ask is, what is it that needs to be done at the local manufacturing plants across this country to make their rice better?
“It is for us to set up national research institutions across the country and bodies like the one in Ibadan should begin to fabricate de-stoning machines.
“How can we have research institutions in Nigeria that are involved in fabricating of equipment and are telling us that there is stone rice in Nigeria?
“What is their doctorate degree for, what is their research for, if they cannot make a common de-stoning machine?’’ he said.
On how NFGCS has been able to ensure that its rice, “Gaate Gold’’, is stone free, he said that the group did not hesitate to invest in de-stoning machines to give Nigerians the best.
Speaking on alleged sharp practices by some rice dealers following the border closure, Retson urged relevant agencies to be up and doing to bring such persons to book.
He said, “our failure as a country is our fault as a people.
“A couple of weeks ago, it was in the news that Customs raided one of the biggest rice markets in Nigeria and confiscated a lot of rice imported into this country.
“What we must do is to become more effective with regard to monitoring of the system.
“What must be done is that anybody selling any brand of rice in Nigeria without proper tagging, without proper identification, should not be allowed. The rice should be confiscated.
“If it is seen that the Federal Government, state or local governments set standards with regard to rice production and nothing is being done with regard to quality assurance and standardisation, then institutions that are responsible for those jobs should be punished,’’ he said.
Edited By: Bola Akingbehin and Ephraims Sheyin
- President Buhari presides over FEC as Ministries of Power, Trade make presentations
- Gov. Zulum disburses N100m to 10,000 households displaced by flood
- Flood Prevention: Osun Govt. commences dredging of waterways
- Dreadlocks: The myths, misconceptions, culture and lifestyles
- Blitzboks change three as Kok hits 50
- Fear of Further Crackdown as Constitutional Poll Nears – NNN
- How minerals and metals companies can help achieve 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development – NNN
- Reform Abusive Security Agency – NNN
- As Libya talks resume in Geneva, UN negotiator seeks to overcome sticking points – NNN
- Cameras, Printers, & a Trip to Dubai — Canon Discovery Week Nigeria Raffle Winners Announced
- Global Modernisation of Land Administration: Making Your Land Information System (LIS) a Success
- Head’s up Africa. You’ve Been Phished
- Global Crypto Giant Paxful Bullish on Africa for 2020
- 37th Ramat Cup: Teams battle for semi-final tickets, as Gawuna praises participating players
- Atletico Madrid edge Liverpool after vintage defensive display
- Haaland sensational in giving Borussia Dortmund 2-1 win over PSG
- Private sector needs to take over sponsorship of sports in Nigeria, Edo Dep. Gov. says
- Vitoria Guimaraes launch investigation into Marega racist abuse
- Kenin, Bencic fall at first hurdle on day of upsets in Dubai
- FIFA forced to plan holding Council meeting by video-conference
- EU pledges to support Nigeria fulfill universal human rights obligations
- Oyo Assembly charges tertiary institutions to be proactive on courses accreditation
- Osun Speaker seeks police support for Amotekun
- Ministers collaborate on stopping entry of Covid-19 into Nigeria
- Oyo govt. takes Road Safety Clubs to schools
- 5th Doctors Games: Sports, veritable tool for healthy living — Wike
- Police yet to arrest any suspect in Ondo bank robbery
- Ekiti indicates interest to host 2021 NAFEST
- Edwin Clark cautions Buhari over appointment of Bulkachuwa’s successor
- Oyo NULGE calls off sit-at-home action
- NDE, Gombe Govt. disburse N2 m to 200 women
- Wike lauds NIS for introducing new e-passport with 10-year validity
- Police arrest female suspect over alleged fake news
- Ambassador-Designate of Kingdom of Bahrain in Cairo meets Arab Republic of Egypt's Permanent Representative to League of Arab States
- Senate decries non provision of financial records of IPPIS by OAGF
- Mixed reactions continue to trail border closure
- Senate urges IOCs to relocate HQ to N/Delta region
- European Union (EU) boosts assistance to drought-affected people in Lesotho
- Senate president wants security beefed up at NASS
- Senate confirms Capt. Musa Nuhu as NCAA DG
- UK seeks closer ties with Nigeria after Brexit
- Nigeria loses $750m to oil theft in 2019 – NNPC
- FG tasks MDAs on FOIA to promote transpiracy, good governance
- NCS boss says non-compliance challenge to Nigeria’s trade
- Yobo dosen’t need coaching experience to be on Eagles bench — Bosso
- Sokoto govt. to unveil livestock potentials at trade fair – Commissioner
- Minister urges girl-child to focus on skills, digital innovation
- Okowa’s Spokesman, Olisa Ifeajika, loses mum
- FIRS, Lagos govt. to tackle non-payment of taxes
- Bayelsa: World Assembly of Youth sues for peace
- Only 8 renal transplantation centres exist in Nigeria- Nephrologist
- Kwara Speaker advocates media, legislative synergy
- Perm Sec, State House, Arabi mourns as assassins kill Director
- FRSC @32: Corps urges staff to shun unwholesome acts
- Visa ban: US gives Nigeria conditions for review of policy
- Lagos Deputy Governor reiterates importance of traditional rulers in national development
- Assembly to collaborate with Nasarawa govt. on Masaka market relocation crisis
- FG to release N6bn for 2,500 housing project in Bauchi
- Alleged harassment: Petroleum tanker drivers commence strike in Kano
- Onu woos foreign investors on methanol policy
- Families of fallen heroes receive cheques from Defence ministry
- March 1 relocation date remains sacrosanct, Ebonyi Govt. tells traders
- IPMAN disassociates self from ongoing strike in Kano
- NSF: Sports commissioner receives unity torch in Kaduna
- Benin experiences 1st rain of 2020
- I did not assault fellow Oba — Oluwo
- Turkish court delivers surprise acquittal in landmark protest trial
- Presidential aide urges understanding to tackle nation’s challenges
- KDSG to bid for 2022 NSF
- APC youths protest appointment of cashier in Kwara council
- Bankers Committee to help bridge infrastructure deficit in Nigeria
- Fiscal Commission partners with ICPC to strengthen anti-corruption war
- First Group of Over 1,400 Stranded Ethiopian Migrants Arrive from Tanzania
- Audi and BMW operations in China back to normal
- President Buhari scores NDA high for training EFCC cadets
- Switzerland helps East African communities fight locust swarms
- FRSC 32nd Anniversary: Don advocates inclusion of road safety in university curriculum
- Lawmakers weep over Katsina killings
- Nigeria Taekwondo sets for Olympic qualifiers in Morocco
- Soba conjoined twins receiving care at ABUTH
- Secretary Pompeo’s Meeting with Ethiopian President Sahle-Work
- WHO reports 92 cases of human-to-human coronavirus cases outside China
- Senate moves to check medical brain drain in Nigeria
- NGO empowers 120 vulnerable persons in Kwara
- Russian blogger’s HIV documentary reaches millions, draws Kremlin praise
- Man narrates how sister was allegedly murdered in Lagos hotel
- Secretary Pompeo’s Meeting with Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy
- Participate actively in politics, Akeredolu tells youths
- Jurors in Weinstein’s rape trial to begin deliberations on verdict
- We ‘ve plan to develop education in Lagos State- Lawmaker
- CGI says NIS has no power to reopen Nigerian borders
- Police officer kills four in-laws, commits suicide
- First Netanyahu corruption trial hearing set for March 17
- NSPRl trains NYSC members on post-harvest handling of crops
- Secretary Michael R. Pompeo’s Meeting with Angolan President Lourenço
- UNICEF urges stakeholders to ensure safe learning environment in Nigeria
- Allegedly xenophobic AfD ‘colouring book’ investigated in Germany
- Alleged N2bn fraud: EFCC witness claims statement not under duress
- U.S. to offer financial support for Ethiopia political reforms – PM
- Russia: New EU mission on Libya needs UN Security Council approval
- EFCC arrests man, 60, over alleged attempt to smuggle suspected hard drug to detained son
- NSE: Bears still on rampage, index drops further by 0.08%
- Agency worried over marital conflicts, land disputes in Ekiti
- Palestinians channel protests through dawn prayers
- Onyeama urges IPCR to device new strategies to end violent conflicts
- NGO advocates improved access to water, sanitation in Riyom
- Council to begin verification of teachers in A’Ibom – Coordinator
- EFCC re-arraigns 6 public officers over alleged N64.6bn police pension fraud
- Libyan ceasefire talks resume as Tripoli port is attacked
- No coronavirus in broiler chickens – NCDC
- Unity, crucial to successful fight against terrorism in Africa – I-G
- China sees fall in coronavirus deaths but WHO urges caution
- Invest in Nigeria’s health sector to stem brain drain- Provost
- Ex-Ogun gov. lauds Makinde over park management system initiative Daniel
- Fayemi’s aide charges LGs to create employment through SDGs programme
- Reps to investigate FAAN, NAMA over non-installation of visibility equipment
- Enugu assembly urges Federal Ministry of Power to review EEDC’s monopoly
- Bauchi speaker calls for IGR reform bills
- Ogun Assembly seeks comprehensive data base for Okada riders
- NDLEA seizes 20 tonnes of illicit drugs in Adamawa
- Rights of women, children remain our priority -Assembly
- COVID-19: Agencies working in synergy to mitigate entry, spread – FG
- Gov. Bello commiserates with victims of petrol tanker explosion in Niger
- Dapchi Anniversary: Buhari vows to secure release of all captives of terrorists
- Kaduna sports festival begins Feb. 24
- Trump threatens lawsuits against ‘everyone’ responsible for Mueller’s Russia probe
- NUJ President warns Kwara Council against isolationism
- We’ve spent N13b on education in Ondo – Akeredolu
- Lagos inducts 1,000 secondary school teachers
- National Biosafety receives guidelines draft on gene editing
- UN rights chief demands safe corridors for Syrian civilians
- Wale Sadeeq Editing ==Police investigate death of six exhumed corpses in Delta==== Police in Delta investigate death of six exhumed corpses
- Nasarawa state Govt targets N3b IGR monthly
- Enugu LG election: Only female candidate urges electorates to vote according to conscience
- Public Complaints Commission resolves land tussle between Anambra monarch, businessman
- ECOWAS transit trade: Nigeria Customs Service wants neighbouring countries’ compliance
- Ship Registry: Nigeria to begin online ship registration – NIMASA DG
- NDE disburses N7.7 m to 770 women in Jigawa
- FRSC begins prosecution of traffic offenders by mobile court in Badagry Wednesday
- NGO raises concern on constituency projects implementation in Enugu
- Gov. Lalong inaugurates 11-member justice reform committee
- ANLCA sets up committee to reconcile aggrieved parties
- Agriculture commissioners call for ban on use of paraquat in Nigeria
- Group advise women on increased participation in politics
- Ukrainian soldier killed in flare-up as peace effort flounders
- German minister wants closer ties to Russia despite sanctions
- NGO pledges to lift 3,000 young Nigerians out of poverty
- Nigeria, India strengthen collaboration on defence capability
- LG Poll: Group promises violent-free election in Nsukka
- MDXi to unveil first locally available Microsoft’s Stack Cloud offering
- `Aproko’ Doctor says awareness integral to improving Nigeria’s healthcare system
- NYSC trains more than 1.4m ex-corps members on entrepreneurship skills
- Waste operators procures 40 trucks to keep Lagos clean – Official
- Climate change: Expert urges stakeholders in NigerDelta to remain committed to mitigate effects
- 12 states miss out of $4.5m World Bank fiscal transparency grant
- MMIA: Stakeholders attribute flight diversion to improper planning
- Ogun govt. promises to resuscitate public libraries
- Housewife drags husband to court for insulting her parents
- Local content and market-driven policies set to shape energy investments in Senegal as African Energy Chamber concludes working visit in Dakar
- Stop impersonating govt officials, Badagry LG chairman warns residents
- Iseyin residents raise concerns as water scarcity bites harder
- Engineer given 6 years in prison over Latvian supermarket collapse
- Commission collaborate agencies, NGOs to eliminate quack drillers
- Kano Fire Service rescues 70-yr-old woman from well
- Lassa fever: Anambra takes campaign to Obosi to contain spread
- Nigeria loses $12b annually to Middle Belt crisis – NGO
- Technical Director commends Nigerian lifters on performance at solidarity championships
- UTME: JAMB conducts hitch-free mock examination for over 300,000 candidates
- FRSC launches magazine in Anambra to educate road users on safety
- Restructuring: HSBC to cut 35,000 jobs in next 3 years
- Nigeria’s war against corruption attracting international endorsements – President Buhari
- Australian lawmakers urge Britain to drop Assange extradition case
- Cleric urges Bauchi Govt. to grant autonomy, upgrade Hisbah Command
- Dump site: Medical Director lauds govt. efforts on evacuation
- Court remands 3 over alleged N166m fraud
- Oil dealer faces N2m fraud charge
- 42 illegal gas stations sealed in Akwa Ibom – DPR official
- Immigration boss tasks officers, men on transparent project execution
- LG poll: Respect Ilaje zoning formula, Protesters tell Akeredolu, APC leaders
- Accidents: Ogun Assembly tasks FRSC on enforcement of speed limit devices
- West Africa still facing challenges in eradicating TB – WAHO DG
- Widow drags in-laws to court over inheritance.
- Whistle blowing is veritable tool in corruption fight, says official
- Israel to build train station near Western Wall in disputed Old City
- NSCDC arrests 2 for vandalism and cultivating cannabis
- Cold weather, snow cannot kill coronavirus – WHO
- NPFL: Rangers FC confident of victory over Kano Pillars in Enugu
- United Arab Emirates (UAE) leaders congratulate Gambian President on Independence Day
- NAF destroys another ISWAP training camp in Borno
- Enforce speed limit device in vehicles, Ogun assembly tells FRSC
- Lassa Fever: 70 people still in Kano isolation centre – Commissioner
- Court to hear N1bn concession suit over National Theatre Complex on March 3
- Court remands man for stealing phone in Lagos
- United Arab Emirates (UAE) Ambassador presents proceeds of Zayed Charity Marathon to National Cancer Institute of Cairo University
- SWAN wants Gov. Diri to prioritise sports development in Bayelsa
- IOM, NIDCOM to partner on Diaspora matters
- Ondo Govt. allocates 100 hectares of land for Sunshine Medical City
- Defendant sat deceased on container edge filled with hot water – Witness
- Bill for Fed. College of Forestry Birnin Gwari passes 2nd reading
- Over N12bn spent on CDGP in Jigawa, Zamfara for social protection