Connect with us

Education

How UI is transforming distance learning – Don

Published

on

Prof. Oyesoji Aremu, the Director of University of Ibadan Distance Learning Centre, says the disparity between regular mode of study and distance learning is fast disappearing due to the ingenuity and innovation of the university.

Aremu stated that open and distance learning education in Nigeria had helped to provide education for the nation’s teeming youths, especially those who had been unable to get admission into the regular mode of study.

“We are in our 31st year now and the centre has been running as well as adding great value to education in Nigeria.

“We have recorded tremendous achievements, some of which are addition of six programmes to the existing ones, making 15 programmes.

“Learners from the centre can now participate in the National Youth Service Corp (NYSC) scheme while the global acceptability of the University of Ibadan distance learning certificate is enviable.

“Also, the centre will have joint matriculation ceremony with the regular mode students on Wednesday, June 26, which is another landmark and first of its kind in the history of University of Ibadan,” Aremu said.

The director further stated that the centre intended to increase the number of programmes on offer.

According to him, this will accommodate more learners and reduce the burden of large number of students seeking admission into tertiary institutions in Nigeria.

“The centre will commence Nursing programme before the end of 2019 as approved by Nigeria University Commission (NUC), ” he said.

NAN reports that the centre admitted more than 2,000 learners who would commence an orientation programme on June 25.

Foreign

North Macedonia’s minister urges media to end unconfirmed reports on COVID-19

Published

on

By

North Macedonia’s Health Minister Venko Filipce on Saturday urged media outlets to end unconfirmed reports on COVID-19 situation in the country.

Via a Facebook message, Filipce said that many media outlets had published reports containing unofficial and inaccurate information related to the number of the new coronavirus cases in the country.

“For 100 days, we have been informing the public in a precise and transparent manner, revealing all details about new COVID-19 cases in order to provide the media with accurate information,” Filipce wrote.

He called on the media to stop preparing reports with speculation and unverified information on the number of infections in the country, adding that these reports led the public to lose trust in institutions.

North Macedonia has seen an increase in the number of new coronavirus cases recently as a result of failure to comply with the measures on gatherings, Filipce said in a press conference on Friday.

On Saturday, the health ministry reported 125 new coronavirus cases over the last 24 hours, increasing the total number of confirmed cases to 2,917, with 1,640 recoveries and 151 fatalities.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

General news

Kebbi Governor donates N5m to victims of bandits attack in Sokoto

Published

on

Gov. Atiku Bagudu of Kebbi has donated N5 million to victims of recent bandits attacks in Sabon Birni Local Government Area of Sokoto State.

A statement issued in Birnin Kebbi on Saturday by Malam Yahaya Sarki, the governor’s Special Adviser on Media, said that the donation was announced when Bagudu visited Sokoto on sympathy visit on Friday.

Bagudu noted that the obnoxious mayhem unleashed on innocent victims had left many people injured and multi-million naira worth of property destroyed.

He extolled the commitment, proactive actions and foresightedness of Gov. Aminu Tambuwal in addressing the security and social needs of Sokoto citizens.

He recalled the recent visit by Tambuwal to President Buhari where he intimated him on the sad development.

”We are happy that President Muhammadu Buhari has since directed the Armed forces and other security agencies to urgently stem the tide of bandits’ nefarious activities.

”The condolence visit is also, to express support and solidarity to the government and people of Sokoto State.

”I prayed to Almighty Allah to repose the souls of the deceased and grant their respective families and the state government the fortitude to bear the irreparable losses,” he said.

Responding, Tambuwal commended Bagudu for the visit and the uncommon show of love, support and solidarity.

He appreciated Bagudu’s style of leadership in Kebbi and as Chairman of APC Progressive Governors Forum.

He also said Sokoto and Kebbi States were one and would remain inseparable and that whatever affected one affected the other.

Tambuwal said that the Federal Government had responded to the ugly development in the state and other neighbouring states.

He restated his commitment to securing the lives and property of the people of the state .

Similarly, Gov. Bagudu, accompanied by Tambuwal, were at the palace of the Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Sa’ad Abubakar, to condole with him over the sad incident.

Bagudu said: “We are at this prestigious and highly revered palace to offer our sincere heatfelt sympathy on behalf of the government and people of Kebbi State.”

He also acknowledged the role played by the Sultan in taking decisions to curtail the spread of the raging coronavirus apart from providing plausible solutions to the recurring security challenges in the country.

Respnding, the Sultan, thanked Gov. Bagudu for the visit, describing the relationship between Kebbi and Sokoto states as cordial.

While praying for the souls of the deceased, Sultan also harped on the need for sustained unity amongst the two states.

The Sultan acknowledged the ongoing concerted efforts by the governors to bring to an end the obnoxious acts of banditry in the region.

He said: “We will continue to play our role as leaders and offer useful advice to leaders, to serve the people better.

“Let me reiterate that COVID-19 is still around the corner, I am appealing to the Governors to continue to take plausible measures to contain the spread of the disease,” Abubakar said. 


Edited By: Chidinma Agu/Maharazu Ahmed (NAN)

Continue Reading

General news

Don cautions youths against social media addiction

Published

on

Mr Babatunde Abdulkareem, Head of Department of Political Science, Kwara State College of Education, Oro, has cautioned youths in the country against addiction to social media as it can affect their academic performances.

Abdulkareem gave the warning in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Ilorin on Saturday.

He said teenagers’ early exposure to social media might cause distraction to their studies and academic pursuit.

According to him, teenagers spend most of their time on internet access facilities like phone, computer set accessing Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and WhatsApp instead of studying their books.

“Teenagers spend most of their time on phone without considering their books. They chat with friends and make video calls forgetting they need to read their books.

“They prefer to spend 24 hours on social media than sacrificing just 30 minutes for their books.

“That is why most teenagers’ academic performance has dropped drastically. They perform poorly because they don’t read again all in the name of chatting,” he said.

Abdulkareem also urged parents to checkmate their children by forcing them to read at the right time instead of pressing phones.

“Parents should stop over-pampering children. They should always ensure that children spend more time on their books instead of hanging out with friends on social media,” he advised.

The don also warned teenagers against abuse of social media, saying that it could cause distraction and lead to failure.


Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Adeleye Ajayi (NAN)

 

 

Continue Reading

Foreign

5.0-magnitude quake hits 85 km NE of Tobelo, Indonesia — USGS

Published

on

By

An earthquake with a magnitude of 5.0 jolted 85 km NE of Tobelo, Indonesia at 13:40:51 GMT on Saturday, the United States Geological Survey (USGS) said.

The epicenter, with a depth of 33.9 km, was initially determined to be at 2.1668 degrees north latitude and 128.6434 degrees east longitude.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Zambia’s wildlife orphanage receives donations from Chinese enterprise

Published

on

By

A Chinese enterprise, Chambishi Copper Smelter (CSS), has donated materials for fighting COVID-19 to an animal sanctuary, Chimfunshi Wildlife Orphanage, in Chingola mining district on the Copperbelt province.

The Chimfunshi Wildlife Orphanage is a home of chimpanzees, following the outbreak of COVID-19 management has temporarily closed the site for tourism.

This has resulted into failure by the institution to generate money to procure disinfectants aimed at fighting the pandemic.

The CCS through the Zambia Environmental Management Agency (ZEMA) donated hand-washing liquid soap and disinfectants to help management at the orphanage to protect its workers against the pandemic.

The CCS deputy CEO Xu Laixiang who handed over the donation said the company had been committed to supplementing Zambian government’s efforts towards the fight against the pandemic.

“We are aware of the challenges the orphanage has been facing in providing a conducive environment amid the pandemic,” he said.

And Chimfunshi Wildlife Orphanage general manager Innocent Mulenga said due to the closure of the tourist site, it was difficult to generate money to buy materials such as sanitizers.

Mulenga thanked the CCS for coming on board to procure the assorted sanitizers and soaps, adding that the gesture would go a long way in protecting both management and the animals from the pandemic.

Meanwhile, ZEMA Northern Region Manager Frederick Muyano said the donation will go a long way in helping the orphanage alleviate some of the challenges it is facing.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

General news

COVID-19: Pharmaceutical company donates sanitisers, face masks to ministry

Published

on

City Pharmaceuticals and Allied Partner says it donated 50 cartons of hand sanitisers and two cartons of face masks to the Federal Ministry of Health, to curtail the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The company announced the donation in a statement jointly signed by Messrs Nnamdi Obi, Felix Ugbojiaku and Kennedy Izunwa, Chairman and Directors of the company respectively, on Saturday in Abuja.

It stated that the items were meant to support the efforts of the Health Minister, Osagie Ehanire and members of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, towards reducing the spread of the virus in Nigeria.

“We wish to appreciate the minister and other members of the task force for the beautiful job they are doing toward preventing the spread of the disease.

“As part of our corporate social responsibility (CSR), our company donates 50 cartonsx20 (500ml) of hand sanitisers to the ministry and two cartonsx40 of face masks to support the PTF.

“We wish to assure the minister of our support and prayers, with the hope that the pandemic will soon be surmounted.  


Edited By: Folorunso Poroye/Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Indonesian army chopper crashes, 4 killed

Published

on

By

Four military personnel were killed and five others wounded as an army helicopter went down in Indonesia’s Central Java province on Saturday, the army said.

The accident occurred when the M-17 helicopter was undertaking a flight training in Kendal district’s Wonorejo village, Army Spokesman Brigadier General Nefra Firdaus told Xinhua in a text message.

The aircraft caught fire when it was falling into the ground, and all the victims have been rushed to a nearby hospital, he said.

The chopper was flying in an unstable condition and bringing smokes out just before touching the ground, and exploded, the army reported, citing an eyewitness.

Three personnel jumped into a pond just before the chopper touched the ground, it said.

A preflight check was made before the flight training, suggesting that the fitness of the aircraft was good, the spokesman said.

An investigation will be carried out to identify the cause of the accident, he said.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Indonesia plans to recruit volunteers to help contain spread of COVID-19 pandemic

Published

on

By

Following the involvement of the military and police personnel in efforts to mitigate the COVID-19 pandemic, the Indonesian government now plans to recruit volunteers to help make a new normal scenario in the country possible.

The plan was made as the government still lacks personnel in the fields in its efforts to curb the surging number of the COVID-19 patients in the country, despite the recent deployment of military and police personnel to help discipline people in exercising health protocols.

Coordinating Minister for Human Development and Culture Muhadjir Effendy has gained approval from President Joko Widodo to recruit volunteers who are expected to help trace more people likely infected with the virus.

The minister said after attending a recent cabinet meeting that the president had the rapid tests optimized according to the World Health Organization (WHO) standards by considering the ratio of the total population.

The president told a cabinet meeting that the target of 10,000 COVID-19 rapid tests per day has been reached, and he now wanted to increase the target to 20,000 tests or even 30,000 tests daily across the country.

The president said that massive COVID-19 tests should be carried out to provide more accurate results and complete picture of Indonesia’s readiness to enter the new normal life.

According to an international data organization, Our World in Data, per June 5 Indonesia only carried out 0.94 rapid test per 1,000 population.

As Indonesia has over 260 million people, the optimum number of rapid tests should be at least 30,000 per day, and it is in line with the president’s expectation.

According to Minister Effendy, only one-fifth of the tracing can be carried out under the 30,000 rapid tests, and therefore, a massive tracking has to be correctly and carefully made.

The minister asserted that the 30,000 rapid tests per day was expected to be carried out to support the government’s efforts before lifting the large-scale social restrictions.

For the purpose, the government plans to recruit volunteers who have health and medical educational and training backgrounds, including the final-semester students majoring in midwifery, nursing, and public health to participate in the massive rapid test program.

The COVID-19 cases in Indonesia rose by 993 within one day to 30,514, with the death toll adding by 31 to 1,801, Achmad Yurianto, a Health Ministry official, said at a press conference on Saturday.

According to him, 464 more people had been discharged from hospitals, making the total number of recovered patients stand at 9,907.

The pandemic has spread to all the 34 provinces in the archipelagic country. However, as of 12:00 p.m. Jakarta time on Saturday, no more positive cases were found in five provinces, namely, Aceh, Bengkulu, Southeast Sulawesi, West Sulawesi and East Nusa Tenggara.

The government has recently deployed soldiers and policemen to four provinces, namely, Jakarta, West Java, West Sumatra and Gorontalo as well as 25 districts/cities which have been applying the large-scale social distancing policy.

The Indonesian Armed Forces’ Commander Air Chief Marshal Hadi Tjahjanto said his soldiers have been posted in public areas including traditional markets, tourist sites, traffic, shopping centers, railway and bus stations where the health protocols are implemented.

The cooperation among the stakeholders was expected to meet the people’s wish that they would resume activities free from the COVID-19 infections, Tjahjanto said, hoping that the R0 (a measure of a disease’s potential) would drop to 0.7 or even lower in the four provinces and 25 districts/cities.

According to the chief, nearly 350,000 army men and policemen have been sent to 1,800 points of the health protocols in those provinces and districts/cities.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Interview: Death of George Floyd reveals Washington’s double standards, says Indonesian analyst

Published

on

By

The death of George Floyd reveals the double standards of Washington, Indonesian political analyst Irwansyah said in a recent interview with Xinhua.

Irwansyah, a lecturer in political science at the University of Indonesia, said that an unarmed black man being suffocated to death by a white police officer in Minneapolis, Minnesota late last month was not a rare occurrence in the United States, a country diverse in races and ethnic groups.

“This brings people to view such incidents (as) caused by systemic racism which underpins the recurring police brutality incidents,” said Irwansyah, adding that racism lies deep in the country’s social, economic and political system and has been acknowledged many times by the government, civil society activists and academics throughout the nation’s history, he said.

The danger and power of white nationalism and supremacy in United States politics, he said, is seemingly concerning and obvious to people around the world.

Other kinds of racism and sectarianism also emerge continuously to shape the life of United States citizens, he noted.

“This indicates the racism problem is not only seriously threatening the daily life of regular people, but also seriously vital to support the power system in the United States,” he said.

Floyd’s death has caused a wave of protests across the country. Thousands of people took to the streets amid clashes with police and the National Guard.

Irwansyah noted the protests in the United States are not only caused by racism, but also other factors such as economic inequality and the failed COVID-19 response.

“Especially since the economic financial crisis in 2008, the problem of economic inequality has become more severe. A sense of injustice among people from different social categories including races, inter-generations, and classes have been growing and widening,” he said.

Furthermore, the failure of the United States government to properly tackle the COVID-19 pandemic has triggered a strong drive for people to mobilize and stage protests, he added.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also