Super Eagles’ head coach Gernot Rohr on Wednesday said winning the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) for Nigeria would make him the most excited person.
“It will be exciting for me to win the 2021 AFCON title with Nigeria. That’s my desire, and I will be the most excited.
“So, winning today (Wednesday) is just the beginning. I can’t be excited until we win the title in 2021,” he said.
Rohr, who said Benin Republic have a good team, also noted that the Nigerian side had a good game in the second half.
“The Super Eagles had a lot of scoring opportunities, but they failed to convert all of them.”
He however pointed out that the game’s opening goal, scored by the Squirrels’ captain, Stephane Sessegnon, in the match’s second minute, was a big shock.
“In the second half, we played a very good match, ‘one-touch two-touch’, and we have good wingers. We had a lot of opportunities, and with the changes we made, we did very well. It is good for us.”
Rohr also said he could not use home-based players for now in the Nigerian team due to specific reasons
“At the moment, the quality we have from abroad is higher than what we have in the home league (Nigeria Professional Football League).”
Speaking also, the Super Eagles’ team captain, Ahmed Musa, said the match was “a tough game for our team, even though we won.’’
He added that the Nigerian side gave their best to prevail over the visitors.
On his part, the Head Coach of Benin, Michelle Dussuyer, noted that his team played very well in the first half.
He however pointed out that the 45th minute penalty kick his team conceded gave more confidence to the Super Eagles.
Also, Sessegnon acknowledged that while the game was not a bad one for his team, the Nigerian side played better.
NAN reports that in the game the Squirrels drew the first blood, while the Super Eagles, through Victor Osimhen, equalised from the penalty kick spot in the 45th minute.
Although Nigeria had several scoring chances thwarted by the Benin goalkeeper in the second half, the winning goal came in the 62nd minute through a solo effort by Samuel Kalu.
Alex Iwobi, Joe Aribo, Samuel Chukwueze and Ola Aina also shone for Nigeria in the match where the Super Eagles confined the Squirrels to their own half throughout the second half.
(Edited by Dianabasi Effiong and Olawale Alabi)
- Osinbajo harps on culture, tourism in new world order
- Customs boss seeks separate budget for staff college
- ICT bedrock of any sub specialty, says Kebbi first lady
- NIDCOM condemns attack on Amaechi in Spain
- Kubwa Traffic: FCTA task team to close Gwarinpa U-turn
- Ahead of institute’s convocation, alumni call for improved attention to tourism
- Gov. Sule sets up committee on implementation of minimum wage
- Onu advocates inclusion of innovation in educational curriculum
- Tunisia foils illegal immigration attempt
- FG reaffirms commitment to establishing National Policy on Nanotechnology
- FCCPC to enforce passenger insurance on fleet operators
- Gov. Obaseki signs N179.2bn Appropriation Bill for Edo
- Nigerian Customs not afraid to take bold decisions
- TETFund retrieves N10bn from non-performing institutions
- Budget: We’re poised to exercise our constitutional mandate–Zamfara Speaker
- Police deploy new CP to Adamawa for LG Election
- Buratai tasks officers on improvement on current successes
- Agency begins taxpayer engagement to enhance revenue collection – Chairman
- Boko Haram abducts 18 in Cameroon’s Far North region
- Emir seeks abolition of GRA in llorin
- Apapa 72 hours road closure: FG seeks understanding for construction works
- EFCC nabs 4 suspects over alleged fraudulent business in Sokoto, Kebbi states
- Gov. Sule, Al-Makura deny friction over alleged inherited debts
- 40 youths receive N7.5m grant from IITA, AfricaRice project
- Zambia says plans to re-launch national airline active
- NSE moves 197.04m shares worth N3.53bn in bearish trading
- Yuletide: FRSC warns drivers against overloading, speeding in Sokoto
- Kwara Customs Command takes anti-smuggling campaign to border communities
- FCT minister lauds sharia court for being responsive
- AOT Lagos 1.0: Tech entrepreneurs advise startups on business sustainability
- Mental wellbeing is an inalienable right of every Nigerian – NGO
- NAF trains 3,629 personnel to meet Nigeria’s dynamic security challenges
- Lawyers call for abrogation of laws granting ex-governors pension
- Erosion prevention: Stakeholders seek national soil policy
- NIMASA’ll collaborate with other agencies to drive the transport sector – Peterside
- Train: Commuters laud FG’s investment, urge sustenance
- Port Harcourt varsity ASUU wants closed secretariat reopened
- 124 bag first class as OAU graduates 7,209
- 14 killed in rebel attack in Congo
- Shell pledges to implement NOSDRA’s directive on N2.74 remediation of spill site
- 8 die and 80,000 displace in Uganda flooding and landslides
- Gov. Buni swears-in 20 commissioners, special advisers
- Nigeria records slight reduction in corruption prevalence in 2019′ — NBS
- NIMASA boss advises transport institute on transformation of sector
- FG committed to establishment of ECOWAS Central Bank–Finance minister
- El-Rufai urges patronage of army’s defence hardware
- Traffic law enforcement: LASTMA set to track violators with mobile device
- Rape : 6 Lagelu Grammar School students denied bail
- NCCE boss, varsity VC bag 2019 campus safety leadership impact award
- $2.2trn global economy lost to illicit trade –Analyst