The Igboeze South Local Government Council of Enugu State says it spent N250 million on the construction of 1.5 kilometer road and building of an ultra-modern Legacy Lounge in the council’s headquarters.
The Chairman of the council, Dr Fidelis Odo, made the disclosure at the council’s secretariat in Ibagwa-Aka, Nsukka on Friday when he received members of good governance tour team.
Odo commended Gov. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi of Enugu State for the financial freedom given to local government authorities to operate.
He noted that the financial freedom was responsible for the achievements of the local government councils in the provision of the dividends of democracy to the people.
He listed the asphalting of the 1.5 kilometer Ngwo-Iheakpu-Awka road at the cost of N200 million as some of his achievements.
“My administration also initiated and completed the construction of a befitting Legacy Lounge, which will serve as residential apartment for the local government chairman as well as for hosting important guests.
“I inherited over 10 court cases on assumption of office, which had been settled through mediation process, as well as securing a N13 million loan waiver from Nsukka Micro- Finance bank,’’ he said.
He disclosed that he set up Igboeze South Advisory Committee comprising of former chairmen, whose role was to make input in the administration of the local government.
Earlier, the Enugu State Chairman of the Nigeria Labour Congress, Mr Virginus Nwobodo, said that the good governance tour was to ascertain the level of development in the local governments.
Nwobodo said that they were motivated to do that as it pertains to the financial autonomy granted to the local council in the country.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that the good governance team comprises the Nigeria Union of Journalist (NUJ), Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and Civil Society Organsations (CSOs).
(Edited By: Ifeyinwa Okonkwo/Peter Ejiofor)
- Expert urges shipowners to negotiate with AMCON to forestall foreclosure
- FG spends N14bn on CCT, school feeding in Jigawa within 29 months
- PDP supporters in Dogara’s hometown defect to APC, say former Speaker, their ‘political godfather’
- Rotary Club plant trees against climate change impact in Abuja
- NiDCOM chief mourns basketball player, Michael Ojo
- Beware of scammers, Ekiti varsity cautions admission seekers
- Senate President sponsors marriage of 100 less-privileged spinsters in Yobe, 200 more to benefit
- Edo 2020: Oba of Benin calls for peaceful campaigns, election
- NAF commissions 114 medics, as President Buhari demands absolute loyalty to Nigeria
- NNPC, partners resolve OML 130 dispute