Connect with us

Foreign

ILO warns of uncertain, incomplete labor market recovery as crisis deepens

Published

on

The International Labor Organization (ILO), a Geneva-based UN agency, said on Tuesday the number of working hours lost across the world in the first half of 2020 was significantly worse than previously estimated and that there are risks of large scale job losses.

In the latest ILO Monitor “COVID-19 and the world of work,” the UN labor agency said that there was a 14-percent drop in global working hours during the second quarter of 2020, equivalent to the loss of 400 million full-time jobs (based on a 48-hour working week).

This is a sharp increase on the previous Monitor’s estimate released in May of a 10.7-percent drop (305 million jobs).

The new figures reflect the worsening situation in many regions over the past weeks, especially in developing economies.

“The decisions we adopt now will echo in the years to come and beyond 2030,” said ILO Director-General Guy Ryder.

“Although countries are at different stages of the pandemic and a lot has been done, we need to redouble our efforts if we want to come out of this crisis in a better shape than when it started,” he noted.

The ILO data showed that the working time losses for the second quarter were: 18.3 percent in the Americas, 13.9 percent in Europe and Central Asia, 13.5 percent in Asia and the Pacific, 13.2 percent in the Arab States and 12.1 percent in Africa.

The organization also emphasized that women workers are disproportionately affected by the pandemic, creating a risk that some of the modest progress on gender equality made in recent decades will be lost.

“Globally, almost 510 million or 40 percent of all employed women work in the four most affected sectors, compared to 36.6 percent of men,” the report wrote.

The ILO said one key challenge ahead is to protect and promote the conditions of vulnerable, disadvantaged and hard-hit groups to make labor markets fairer and more equitable.

(XINHUA)

Nnn: :is a Nigerian online news portal that publishes breaking news in Nigeria, and across the world. Our journalists are honest, fair, accurate, thorough and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting news in the best interest of the public, because truth is the cornerstone of journalism and they strive diligently to ascertain the truth in every news report. Contact: editor[at]nnn.com.ng

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Pandemic caused postponement of 50,000 cancer operations in Germany German police officers jailed for using office for sexual abuse Ondo govt. distributes 20,000 cocoa seedlings to farmers in Isua-Akoko United States judge orders delay of first federal executions in 17 years NLC/CSO situation room urges commuters to adhere to Coronavirus safety guidelines Kano Emir re-appoints kingmaker 17-years after he was removed Ondo APC Primary: Kekemeke woos delegates, says no ‘use & dump’ of members Police nab man for allegedly raping minor after buying N20 sachet water Abia transport workers protest 25 months unpaid salaries              PTF calls for sustained Coronavirus protocols at airports France promises €7.6 bn to boost hospital staff pay NUJ deregisters Progressive Chapel in Nasarawa State  Para-Athletes, Coach commend Sports Minister over palliatives Banditry: FG distributes relief materials to IDPs in Sokoto Research report tasks investors on investment risk Nigeria’s stock market opens week with N55bn loss FRSC to begin enforcement of Coronavirus protocols in commercial vehicles in Katsina United States-based fertiliser coy to establish African branch in Kebbi 602 repentant Boko Haram members denounce membership Al-Hikmah Varsity: outgoing VC urges staff to be committed to duty Niger Assembly summons commissioners, others over Coronavirus response Reconsider suspension of 2020 WASSCE, NAPPS urges FG Court sentences man to 5 years imprisonment for possession of hard drugs Transport unions, FRSC sign agreement on Coronavirus safety measures in Kaduna Ekiti doctors’ strike not borne out of wickedness, insensitivity – NASS, NERC to partner on legal framework to protect investment in power sector Tinubu commiserates with Lagos Speaker over Braimoh’s death Court remands teenager over alleged murder Coronavirus Scare: AMAC secretariat safe, free – Chairman Nasarawa Assembly assures good working relationship with executive We’ll complete all ongoing projects in A’Ibom – Gov. Emmanuel FRSC tasks transport unions on compliance with Coronavirus protocols Coronavirus: FRSC directs transporters to sanitise vehicles, loading terminals EEDC donates PPE to frontline health workers in UNTH FG to initiate service delivery scheme in 7 states Alleged illegal property seizure: Court adjourns N8.1bn suit against Lagos until July 17 Bauchi Inquiry Committee seeks stakeholders’ support to end farmers, herders clashes Court admits 6 guns in evidence in alleged Taraba kidnap kingpin, Wadume, 6 others’ case Police seize 10 AK47 rifles, ammunition from suspected gunrunners in Taraba Marginalisation: Adopt dialogue, Warri council boss advises Itsekiri group Russian Agency to provide water solutions to parts of South Africa Schools projects: Ogun govt. warns contractors against use of substandard materials President predicts Coronavirus in Indonesia will reach peak in August-September Malami gives Sahara Reporters 7-day ultimatum to retract libelous, defamatory publications against him Thai hotel partially closed over Coronavirus-infected Egyptian Maize farmers call for end to insecurity to enhance food production Fake DSS personnel bags 12 years imprisonment Lockdown: 2 docked over alleged assault on policemen Fire guts World Trade Centre in FCT Brother of Tottenham’s Aurier shot dead in France