The Imo House of Assembly on Wednesday, adopted a motion urging Chairman of Imo Environmental Transformation Commission (ENTRACO) to enforce penalties on motorists and pedestrians who deface green areas.
The House adopted the motion sponsored by the member representing Ideato North, Arthur Egwim (AA).
Presenting the motion, Egwim noted that there was need for Chairman of the Commission to invoke the prohibitive sections of the laws establishing the commission to stop the unlawful practice.
He stated that commercial motorists and vendors now made use of green areas as parks, thereby defeating the efforts of the state government to improve the environment.
Egwim also urged the commission to re-grass areas which had been defaced and put warning signs against further acts of defacement by motorists and pedestrians alike.
The motion which was seconded by the member representing Ideato South constituency, Mr Johnson Duru (PDP) was passed and approved,following votes in favour of the motion.
The Speaker of the House, Mr Collins Chiji (Isiala Mbano PDP), directed Clerk of the House to write to the ENTRACO Chairman and advise him accordingly.
Okoro cited personal reasons for his defection.
Edited by Buhari Bolaji/Dada Ahmed (NAN)
- IPPIS: ASUU South East insists it will erode university autonomy
- Babcock varsity cardiac centre performs 300 open heart surgeries — VC
- NiMet predicts hazy, thundery weather conditions on Monday
- Air traffic engineers wants FG to invest more on cyber security
- Lagos Assembly will not repeal ex-govs’ pension law — Spokesperson
- PDP sweeps Adamawa LG election
- Empowering women means mobilising society for economic dev’t, says IHVN official
- Allow judiciary to operate freely, Archbishop Martins urges President Buhari
- Anglican communion bans brochure, `asoebi’ uniform during burials
- Nasarawa Govt. spends over N240m monthly to subsidise health services at specialist hospital- CMD
- ASUU in South East rejects IPPIS, says it will erode university autonomy
- Buhari pays tribute to Sarkin Malamai Gombe, Wabili
- Dabiri-Erewa hails Anthony Joshua’s boxing victory
- Bayelsa guber: Accept defeat, stop heating up polity, APC advises Gov. Dickson
- Thanksgiving: Cleric urges politicians to shun greed
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna
- Jos consumers urge Plateau Govt. to check re-bagging of local rice
- Association urges SSCOE management to address viral hate speech by lecturer
- Akeredolu appoints three new aides
- Illegal operation: Lagos Govt. seals 24 pharmacies, patent medicine stores
- Association appeals to Enugu govt. for regular payment of pension, gratuity of teachers
- 2020 budget: Reps minority caucus promises to monitor implementation
- Cassava production: Scientists meet in Tanzania to review progress
- Don calls for service to Allah, as OAU MSSN inaugurates new executives
- FGGC Yola old girls pass vote of confidence on Saromi
- NAF partners US DOD to enhance medical, casualty evacuation capabilities
- 19-year-old Yahoo boy sets girlfriend ablaze over lover
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna.
- Presidency dismisses insinuations over Sowore’s arrest, says Nigerians deserve peace
- Lagos Govt to launch App on annual cultural events
- Osinbajo to speak at UAE peace forum
- Adamawa APC rejects LG election results
- Restriction of Journalists covering Imo assembly activities, a dangerous precedent—Union
- Review: Sean Tizzle’s single ‘Contagious’, not enough for a hit record
- Katsina state govt. pays N208m WAEC fees for 21,589 candidates–Commissioner
- Opadokun, NADECO leader, seeks more libraries to boost reading culture
- Review: Teni Apata’s music, personality evolution draws mixed feelings
- Ministry of power seeks collaboration with agencies for improved power supply
- Kano State targets 3.8m children for meningitis vaccination
- Focus, Funding, keys to having to a great musical career- Toby
- Institute tasks FG on tourism, hospitality sector
- Boxing: NIDCOM boss, Dabiri-Erewa applauds Joshua’s victory over Ruiz Jr.
- Christmas: We are capable of meeting demands- Nasarawa Rice Millers
- Cleric urges Christians to live exemplary lives
- Nutrition Survey will lead to improved quality healthcare – Experts
- RIFAN urges FG to sustain border closure
- Fireboy DML debuts best album to close 2019
- Style Review: the return of pleated skirts
- National Public Safety Security System: Police Affairs Ministry sets up committee for smooth take-off
- Expert urges FG to sensitise Nigerians on $29.96bn foreign loan