Indian Court directs respondents to plant 15,000 trees as punishment
New Delhi, Feb. 7, 2019 (Xinhua/NNN) The Delhi High Court on Thursday directed two persons and three companies to plant 3,000 trees each for failing to file their responses.
Their responses are on the Enforcement Directorate’s (ED) which is an appeal challenging their acquittal in 2G scam case, officials said.
“Today Justice Najmi Waziri ordered Swan Telecom promoter Shahid Balwa, Director of Kusegaon Fruits and Vegetables Pvt Ltd, Rajiv Agarwal, companies D B Realty, Dynamix Realty and Nihar Construction to plant 3,000 trees each.
“For their failure to file replies in the ED’s appeal against their acquittal.
“The court’s move was aimed at imposing costs on respondents who are yet to file their replies in appeals preferred by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the ED against the trial court’s acquittal in the 2G case.
“Other respondents were also directed to plant a certain number of trees,’’ a court official said.
Former telecom minister of India, A Raja and DMK lawmaker Kanimozhi were among the people acquitted by the trial court in the ED’s money laundering case.
The court has called on the respondents to carry out plantation drive in Delhi’s South Ridge forest area.
The official said the court directed the respondents to appear before the concerned forest officer on Feb. 15, for planting the trees.
Meanwhile, the court set March 26 as the next date of hearing.
In 2G spectrum scam the politicians and bureaucrats were accused of undercharging mobile telephone companies for frequency allocation licences. (Xinhua/NNN)
Edited by Abigael Joshua/Silas Nwoha
- Bangladesh’s top court denies release for jailed ex-premier Zia
- Petroleum ministry warns public to discountenance fake Sylva’s social media accounts
- Tackling gender based violence in Nigeria
- Minimum Wage: NLC prepares for showdown with state governors Dec. 31
- FG to establish community museums to boost tourism – Lai Mohammed
- Air operation aims to degrade Boko Haram -CAS
- Army says video of Boko Haram killing of soldiers fabrication of IPOB
- Committee to restructure Jigawa Golden Stars FC inaugurated
- Use National Health Act to fast track UHC, Anthropologist tells FG
- Pensioners beg FG over speedy payment of N20b arrears
- Passenger slumps, dies at Lagos airport
- Kaduna govt offers digital skills training to 360 youth
- NYSC to review collaboration with NHIS on healthcare of corps members
- FG investigating Sowore-DSS incident – Malami
- Obasanjo hails Gov. El-Rufai’s pan-Nigeria character
- Buhari congratulates Maryam Uwais at 60
- Bingham varsity commences post-graduate programme in communication
- FEC approves portal for import duty exemptions, N40bn for road projects
- Expect more road repairs in 2020, lawmaker tells Lagosians
- Food System Vision 2050 Prize: UNILAG group engages stakeholders across value-chains
- 2020: All Africans can come to Nigeria without visa – Babandede
- Buhari condemns killing of 67 soldiers in Niger Republic
- Shell takes free eyecare services to host community in Bayelsa
- Nasarawa to provide schools with water, sanitation facilities
- SDGs: Quality, inclusive education my priority – Gov. Sule
- States can’t withdraw from minimum wage agreement, law binding to all — NLC
- U.S. to provide life-saving HIV treatment to 43,000 people in Imo
- Bauchi govt.to spend N12 bn to build 2,500 houses in 2020–Official
- Farmer calls for establishment of livestock agency to boost beef, dairy production
- Putin condemns EU stance on Nazi-Soviet WWII pact as ‘shameless lie’
- U.S. aviation regulator not likely clear 737 MAX before end of 2019
- We are on track in improving Manchester United, Solskjaer says
- NiMet predicts sunny, hazy weather condictions for Thursday
- FG says tackling global health problems requires global disciplinary cooperation, expertise
- Makinde signs Oyo State Anti- Corruption Bill into law
- Yuletide: Sanwo-Olu’s wife urges Nigerians to be security conscious
- Defamation: Edo Ex-speaker demands N500m from APC chieftain
- Anthony Joshua to present world championship belts to Buhari soon
- NLNG signs sales deal with Vitol SA on Train 1, 2 and 3
- NOC sets up 4-man committee on AFN crisis
- Plateau Govt. repeals disability commission act, to enact new law
- HIV/AIDS: Kwara Dep. Gov. harps on regular medical check-up
- End your strike to allow for negotiation, NECA urges electricity workers
- Committee expresses determination to host successful Abuja 2020 Para-Powerlifting Championships
- LASG to convert Majidun Rehab Centre to psychiatric hospital – Commissioner
- Christmas: FRSC promises free flow of traffic on Kaduna highways
- LASTMA arrests 25 for driving against traffic
- 261 Ogun pilgrims depart for Jerusalem
- I will alleviate your suffering, Makinde assures pensioners
- Practitioners that violate CRFFN Act risk expulsion, says governing council