Connect with us

Foreign

Indonesia to send back 142 containers of trash to developed countries

Published

on

Indonesia will send back 142 containers of garbage to Australia and other developed countries after the shipments were found to contain toxic materials, the country’s Customs Department said on Wednesday.

The Customs Director, Mr Teddy Martediansyah, said the decision followed an investigation into more than 250 containers of mostly plastic garbage imported by three companies into the country.

“The three companies imported plastic waste mixed with toxic and hazardous materials,’’ Martediansyah said in a statement.

“At least 100 of the containers will be sent back to Australia,’’ he said.

Other countries from which the banned materials were imported include the U.S., Britain and Spain.

The 142 containers of trash from the latest inspection, came after the Customs department already returned 195 containers of plastic trash mixed with banned materials to countries of origin earlier this year.

Indonesia is still in the process of sending back another 62 containers as part of that investigation.

More containers of plastic trash from industrialised countries found their way to Indonesia and other Southeast Asian countries after China in 2018 stopped importing waste from abroad to curb pollution.

Countries such as Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines are now saying that they do not want to be dumping grounds for trash.

Environmental groups in Indonesia have urged the government to tighten regulations on importation of plastic trash, saying the garbage is harming the environment.
FAT/AJA

Edited by Fatima Sule/Adeleye Ajayi

Foreign

Policeman killed as suspected IS militant attacks police office in Indonesia

Published

on

By

One policeman was killed and another injured as a sword-wielding man, who was suspected as an IS-linked militant, attacked a police office in Indonesia’s province of Central Kalimantan on Monday, a police officer said.

The police found documents linked with the IS group in Iraq and Syria in a small bag of the attacker, Provincial Police Spokesman Senior Commissioner Mochamad Rifa‘i said.

The militant burned a police patrol car early morning before slashing a policeman who was in charge at the Daha Selatan police office, and he was dead at the scene, the spokesman said.

The attacker identified as AR was shot dead by other policemen, said Rifa’i.

The police were probing the possible linkage of the militant with the IS group, the spokesman was quoted by local media as saying.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Indonesia reports 700 new confirmed COVID-19 cases, 40 new deaths

Published

on

The COVID-19 cases in Indonesia rose by 700 within one day to 26,473, with the death toll adding by 40 to 1,613, Achmad Yurianto, a Health Ministry official, said at a press conference on Sunday.

According to him, 293 more people had been discharged from hospitals, making the total number of recovered patients stand at 7,308.

The pandemic has spread to all 34 provinces in the archipelagic country.

Authorities have been conducting coronavirus tests in the affected areas and ordered the public to always wear masks to curb the spread.

The government is preparing for the so-called “new normal”, under which the public would be allowed to resume their routines.

More than 300,000 military and police personnel have been posted in nearly 2,000 places, including shopping malls, traditional markets and tourism spots in four provinces and 25 regencies or cities.

AIB

Edited By: Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Indonesia reports 700 new confirmed COVID-19 cases, 40 new deaths

Published

on

By

The COVID-19 cases in Indonesia rose by 700 within one day to 26,473, with the death toll adding by 40 to 1,613, Achmad Yurianto, a Health Ministry official, said at a press conference here Sunday.

According to him, 293 more people had been discharged from hospitals, making the total number of recovered patients stand at 7,308.

The pandemic has spread to all 34 provinces in the archipelagic country.

Authorities have been conducting coronavirus tests in the affected areas and ordered the public to always wear masks to curb the spread.

The government is preparing for the so-called “new normal,” under which the public would be allowed to resume their routines.

More than 300,000 military and police personnel have been posted in nearly 2,000 places, including shopping malls, traditional markets, and tourism spots in four provinces and 25 regencies or cities.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Shallow quake strikes off central Indonesia

Published

on

By

A 5.7 magnitude quake jolted North Sulawesi province in the central part of Indonesia on Saturday evening, the Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency said here.

The quake hit at 8:06 p.m. Jakarta time (1306 GMT) with the epicenter at seven km southeast of the province’s sub district of Melonguane and with the shallow of 10 km under the seabed.

The quake did not potentially trigger tsunami.

Indonesia is frequently stricken by quakes as it sits on a quake-prone zone in the Pacific Ring of Fire.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Roundup: Indonesia gears up for new normal under COVID-19 with servicemen deployed

Published

on

By

Indonesia is gearing up for a new normal scenario despite the current growing number of COVID-19 cases in the country with Saturday’s tally totaling 25,773 and the death toll amounting to 1,573.

Currently, crowds of people are still seen in public places like traditional markets, bus stations, railway stations, airports and traffic, especially those in Indonesia’s big cities including Jakarta, West Java‘s capital of Bandung, and the country’s second largest city of Surabaya in East Java province.

Indonesian President Joko Widodo on Tuesday visited a railway station in the capital city of Jakarta and a shopping center in West Java province’s city of Bekasi to see whether or not they are ready with the planned new normal scenario.

The president ordered his ministers, chiefs of the Indonesian Armed Forces (TNI) and the State Police (Polri) to massively deploy soldiers and policemen among the crowds to ensure that people follow the health protocols.

“As of today TNI and Polri will deploy their troops in an effort to make people more disciplined in abiding by the health protocols under the large-scale social distancing policy,” the head of state said when closely observing activities at a railway station in Central Jakarta on Tuesday.

TNI and Polri will send their soldiers and policemen to four provinces, namely, Jakarta, West Java, West Sumatra and Gorontalo as well as 25 districts or cities which have been applying the large-scale social distancing policy, said the president.

The president expressed hope that the deployment of the troops would make the people more disciplined in exercising the health protocols in a bid to deal with the COVID-19 outbreak which has been affecting all the 34 provinces in Indonesia.

Meanwhile, TNI Commander Air Chief Marshall Hadi Tjahjanto said his soldiers are posted in public areas including traditional markets, tourist sites, traffic, shopping centers, railway stations and bus stations where the health protocols are implemented.

The cooperation among TNI, Polri and the COVID-19 Task Force was expected to meet the people’s wish to resume activities free from the COVID-19 infections, Tjahjanto said in the hope that the R0 (a measure of a disease’s potential) would drop to 0.7 or even lower.

According to the TNI chief, nearly 350,000 army men and policemen were sent to 1,800 points of the health protocols as of Tuesday.

In addition to the crowds in those places, the government is also aware of an exodus of people who will return to Jakarta and its surrounding areas to resume works and other businesses after celebrating the Islamic post-fasting festivity Eid-al-Fitr in their villages.

To anticipate possible new infections of the coronavirus likely carried by the returnees who usually bring more people from their villages, the government has enhanced alertness on areas which share borders with Jakarta and its satellite towns.

The Transportation Ministry predicted that some 1 million vehicles including cars and motorcycles would drive back to Jakarta and its neighboring areas up to June 1.

The government has issued a policy to ban people from going to their hometowns and urged those who are already in their villages to suspend their returns to Jakarta and its surrounding areas unless they have urgent reasons.

In response to the involvement of TNI and Polri in the government’s measure to mitigate the COVID-19 pandemic, a member of the House of Representatives, Willy Aditya, believed that the massive deployment of the servicemen and policemen would improve people’s compliance with the health protocols.

“The involvement of TNI and Polri is good. Such a measure should actually be taken since early to guarantee the people’s compliance and discipline,” said Aditya.

He was also upbeat that the government’s measure would be successful provided that the military and police personnel in charge would work under strict procedures and rules void of severity in the hope the new normal scenario would be achieved.

In the meantime, Chairman of the Indonesian People‘s Consultative Assembly Bambang Soesatyo reminded the government that the number of the COVID-19 cases in Indonesia is still on the rise.

“Thus, studies should be conducted seriously first in an effort to stop the increase in the COVID-19 cases before deciding to impose a new normal scenario in Indonesia,” Soesatyo said, adding that there have been many people who make activities regardless of the undergoing large-scale social distancing policy.

He also called on the government and the COVID-19 Task Force to evaluate the rate of people’s compliance with the health protocols in every area in the country to see whether or not the new normal scenario can be implemented.

Likewise, the COVID-19 Task Force should have valid data based on which the government can make an effective decision on the implementation of the expected new normal scenario, he said.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Indonesia reports 557 new confirmed COVID-19 cases, 53 new deaths

Published

on

The COVID-19 cases in Indonesia rose by 557 within one day to 25,773, with the death toll adding by 53 to 1,573, Achmad Yurianto, a Health Ministry official, said at a press conference on Saturday.

According to Yurianto, 523 more people had been discharged from hospitals, making the total number of recovered patients stand at 7,015.

The pandemic has spread to all the 34 provinces in the archipelagic country.

Authorities have been conducting coronavirus tests in the affected areas and ordered the public to always wear masks to curb the spread.

The government is preparing for the so-called “new normal,” under which the public would be allowed to resume their routines.

More than 300,000 military and police personnel have been posted in nearly 2,000 places, including shopping malls, traditional markets and tourism spots in four provinces and 25 regencies or cities.

AIB

Edited By: Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Indonesia reports 557 new confirmed COVID-19 cases, 53 new deaths

Published

on

By

The COVID-19 cases in Indonesia rose by 557 within one day to 25,773, with the death toll adding by 53 to 1,573, Achmad Yurianto, a Health Ministry official, said at a press conference here on Saturday.

According to him, 523 more people had been discharged from hospitals, making the total number of recovered patients stand at 7,015.

The pandemic has spread to all the 34 provinces in the archipelagic country. Authorities have been conducting coronavirus tests in the affected areas and ordered the public to always wear masks to curb the spread.

The government is preparing for the so-called “new normal,” under which the public would be allowed to resume their routines.

More than 300,000 military and police personnel have been posted in nearly 2,000 places, including shopping malls, traditional markets, and tourism spots in four provinces and 25 regencies or cities.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Indonesia extends closure of Komodo National Park due to virus pandemic

Published

on

By

Indonesia has extended the shutdown of the Komodo National Park in East Nusa Tenggara province as the COVID-19 continues spreading in the country, an official said on Friday.

The park situated in Manggarai district has been closed since March 22 and had been scheduled to be reopened on May 29, still the Komodo National Park Office extended the closure, Director of the Park Lukita Awang Nistyantara said.

The extension, he said, aims at protecting the staffs and the residents living in the compound of the park from transmissions of the flu-like disease.

Concerning the period of the extension, the director conceded that he was not certain as the virus keeps spreading in the country, citing that the park would be reopened based on the result of an evaluation on the situation that would be carried out by the government.

The Komodo National Park is still transiently closed until further notice,” he said.

A ban was also imposed on the entry of cruise ships which carry several passengers to the popular tourist destination, Nistyantara was quoted by local media as saying.

The park’s closure was initially aimed at allowing the authorities to carry out conservation and rehabilitation programs in the park, following the smuggling of 41 Komodo dragons to three nations in Southeast Asia, to boost the population of the species and protect them.

Partial lockdowns along with physical distancing policies remain in place in Indonesia to curb the transmissions of the COVID-19.

The disease has killed 1,520 people in Indonesia and infected 25,216 others, the Health Ministry reported on Friday.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Indonesia’s COVID-19 cases surpass 25,000 with death toll exceeding 1,500

Published

on

By

The COVID-19 cases in Indonesia rose by 678 within one day to 25,216, with the death toll adding by 24 to 1,520, Achmad Yurianto, a Health Ministry official, said at a press conference on Friday.

According to him, 252 more people had been discharged from hospitals, as the total number of recovered patients stood at 6,492.

The pandemic has spread to all the 34 provinces in the archipelagic country. Authorities conducted coronavirus tests in the affected areas and ordered the public to always wear masks to curb the spread.

The government is preparing for the so-called “new normal”, under which the public would be allowed to resume their routines.

More than 300,000 military and police personnel have been posted in nearly 2,000 places, including shopping malls, traditional markets, and tourism spots in four provinces and 25 regencies or cities.

 

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also