Kano State Commissioner for Information, Malam Mohammad Garba, has advised Federal and State governments to provide enhanced welfare and salary structure for working journalists in the country.
Garba, who gave the advice when he paid a courtesy visit to Radio Nigeria pyramid FM Kano on Tuesday, said the call was necessary in order to boost the morale of journalists and uplift the journalism profession.
He said journalists being the watchdog of the siciety needed to be well taken care of especially in terms of their welfare ,allowances and benefits.
He said the Nigerian Union of Journalists (NUJ) had presented a bill to the National Assembly tagged: ‘ Journalists Enhancement Bill’, few years ago, adding that there was an urgent need to revisit the bill for the development of working journalists in the country.
The commissioner, who, was a two-term National President of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, maintained that the Ganduje administration in the state was working hand in hand with all the media outfits in the state in order to maintain the good cordial relationship.
In a remark, the General Manager of Pyramid FM, Malam Sama’ila Ahmed-Dabai, said Radio Nigeria was committed to enlightening the general populace on the activities of notable stakeholders including political office holders at a time when programmes and activities of government at all levels were supposed to reach the public.
Dabai noted that in spite of the challenges bedevilling the station, they were committed to sustainable production and urged the State Government to support the station to overcome future challenges.
He reiterated the commitment of the station to continue airing educative programmes which will sensitise and enlighten the public on the activities of the state government.
Edited & Vetted By: Abdullahi Yusuf
Welfare: Resident doctors in Nasarawa join nationwide strike
Association of Resident Doctors (ARD) in Nasarawa State on Monday joined the nationwide strike declared by its national body (NARD) over improved welfare demands.
Dr Peter Idoko, Nasarawa State President of ARD made the disclosure in an interview with newsmen in Lafia.
“We have complied with the strike 100 per cent and all our members in the state have stayed away from work except those working in isolation centres, in line with the directive from our national headquarters.
“Even those working in the isolation centres would join the strike after two weeks if it lingers,” Idoko said.
He said that the strike could have been avoided if the Federal and states government had implemented the coronavirus hazard allowances among other welfare issues.
He said some of their demands included inadequate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), lack of insurance for doctors, among others.
Dr Idoko added that even before the commencement of the nationwide strike, doctors and others health workers in the state had earlier embarked on warning strike over the same issue.
He said that 42 health workers, including six doctors, were infected with COVID-19 in Nasarawa state as a result of inadequate PPE.
He urged the Nasarawa State Government to stop paying lip service to issues of health.
He said that doctors had not been promoted in the last 10 years, adding that the situation had demoralised most of them.
Idoko called on the state government to domesticate the coronavirus hazard allowance, provide insurance cover for health workers and upgrade facilities at the isolation centres.
He also charged the state government to take the residency training of doctors seriously in order to produce more consultants and to address the issue of “brain-drain.”
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the National Association of Resident Doctors of Nigeria directed its members, with exception of those working in isolation centres, to commence an indefinite strike after the expiration of their 14-day ultimatum to FG.
Edited By: Joe Idika and Isaac Ukpoju (NAN)
Abia governor tests positive for COVID-19, says Commissioner for Information
Gov. Okezie Ikpeazu of Abia has tested positive for the Coronavirus and has subsequently gone into self-isolation, the Commissioner for Information, Chief John Okiyi, has stated.
He recalled that the result of Ikpeazu’s first test by the centre on May 30 returned negative and that the result of the second test of the sample submitted on June 4 “for confirmation” came out positive.
He stated: “Recall that on Saturday, May 30, Ikpeazu volunteered his sample for COVID-19 test and subsequently directed members of the state Executive Council and those of the inter-ministerial committee on COVID-19 to submit themselves for the same test.
”The governor is being managed by a competent team of medical practitioners with a view to nursing him back to good health.”
He said that the governor had therefore directed his Deputy, Ude Oko-Chukwu, “to act on his behalf, pending his full resumption of duties.”
“We wish to urge all Abia residents to take the fight against COVID-19 seriously. The disease is real but not a death sentence.
“Our state has the resources to manage patients back to good health,” the commissioner stated.
Meanwhile, the report from NCDC on June 7, showed that Abia now has 67 new cases of the virus, bringing the total number to 85.