Insurance Football Club of Benin plans to generate funds for its programmes through its football academy set up in 2019, an official of the club said on Wednesday.
Kehinde Osagede, the club’s spokesman, told the News Agency of Nigeria in Benin that, aside this, the academy would also help in recruiting new players for the club.
“This will enable Insurance FC, a top team in the Nigeria National League (NNL), not to rely on government as its sole financier.’’
He said the academy programme, with no fewer than 30 players, has shown lots of promises within the short time it was established.
Osagede added that the Edo government have been very supportive through prompt payment of salaries and allowances of both the players and the officials.
“The government has been providing funds for the execution of the club’s programmes.
“Invariably, government has been the only source of funding for the club. However, we will soon be departing from this. We are now into real football business.
“The academy programme we have in place will soon start yielding dividends and will provide the needed funds for Insurance FC to be independent of government financially,” he said.
On the club’s plans for the next season, Osagede said the club’s management was strategising on how to improve the team’s fortunes amidst the COVID-19 pandemic lockdown.
“In obedience to the protocols of the pandemic set out by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) and the Confederation of African Football (CAF), we are working hard to strategise on how to ensure that promotion into the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) does not elude the team in the coming season,” he said.
The spokesman also said that the club, with 35 registered players currently, would not be recruiting new players for the coming league season.
“In fact, the club will no longer be having the usual open-door players recruitment.
“Our plan now is to only sign players in the areas we need them to fortify the team when the window is open for that.
“We will also be making use of graduating players from the feeder team that we have set up.
“But, currently, we have the team that can make us proud not only in Nigeria but Africa.’’
Edited By: Chinyere Bassey and Olawale Alabi) (NAN)
- Shooting prompts Trump’s evacuation from White House briefing room
- Collection of forms for 774,000 Special Public Works commences in Rivers
- Lawmaker commends Buhari, Diri over Oloibiri Museum, appeals for befitting access road
- Pay 4 years pension arrears, gratuities, pensioners beg Wike
- Police arrest 27 armed robbery, Kidnapping suspects in Nasarawa
- Wike seeks Assembly’s approval for N18bn loan
- COVID-19: FG directs civil servants on levels 12, 13 to resume work
- Obaseki seeks traditional ruler’s blessing ahead of Sept. 19 election
- Kano Govt establishes 3 more schools for Almajiri children
- United States decries Russia’s decree targeting VOA, others