( NAN) The Nigeria Police Force says it is in the process of acquiring more sophisticated equipment that will enable it shift completely from manual policing to intelligence-led policing.
He said that improved welfare package that would motivate officers and men to greater performance was also being worked out.
Jitoboh insisted that the current wave of crimes pervading the country was not beyond the control of the police, saying with modern equipment and motivation, the force will triumph.
He, however, charged officers and men to be disciplined and professional in the discharge of their duties.
The AIG also admonished them to make themselves more accessible to members of the public so as to gain their confidence and trust.
He reminded them of the efforts being made to entrench community policing in the security architecture of the police.
Jitoboh urged the personnel to work consciously to correct the wrong impression and doubt about the police in the minds of members of the public.
He commended the officers and men of the command for giving good account of themselves in the fight against kidnapping, armed robbery and other violent crimes.
Earlier in his welcome address, the state police Commissioner, Mr Hakeem Busari, said that security issues in the state include kidnapping, armed robbery, farmers-herdsmen clashes, communal crisis and land dispute, among others.
According to him, major constraints of the command are inadequate personnel, inadequate communication equipment, shortage of arms, ammunition and riot equipment, lack of operational vehicles and shortage of accomodation for personnel.
In spite of these challenges, Busari said that the command had been waging successful war against criminals in all parts of the state.
He said that “Operation Puff Adder” which was launched in the state recently had led to the arrest of 111 criminals.
These, he said, include 30 suspected kidnappers, 30 suspected armed bandits, two car snatchers and 49 other criminals.
He said that six AK47 rifles, five pump action and six locally-made pistols were among items recovered from the suspects.
Other items recovered, according to him, include one beretta pistol, two single-barrel guns, one revolver pistol, three locally-made double barrel guns, two cars and two motorcycles.
Edited by Oluwole Sogunle
- Bayelsa guber: Accept defeat, stop heating up polity, APC advises Gov. Dickson
- Thanksgiving: Cleric urges politicians to shun greed
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna
- Jos consumers urge Plateau Govt. to check re-bagging of local rice
- Association urges SSCOE management to address viral hate speech by lecturer
- Akeredolu appoints three new aides
- Illegal operation: Lagos Govt. seals 24 pharmacies, patent medicine stores
- Association appeals to Enugu govt. for regular payment of pension, gratuity of teachers
- 2020 budget: Reps minority caucus promises to monitor implementation
- Cassava production: Scientists meet in Tanzania to review progress
- Don calls for service to Allah, as OAU MSSN inaugurates new executives
- FGGC Yola old girls pass vote of confidence on Saromi
- NAF partners US DOD to enhance medical, casualty evacuation capabilities
- 19-year-old Yahoo boy sets girlfriend ablaze over lover
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna.
- Presidency dismisses insinuations over Sowore’s arrest, says Nigerians deserve peace
- Lagos Govt to launch App on annual cultural events
- Osinbajo to speak at UAE peace forum
- Adamawa APC rejects LG election results
- Restriction of Journalists covering Imo assembly activities, a dangerous precedent—Union
- Review: Sean Tizzle’s single ‘Contagious’, not enough for a hit record
- Katsina state govt. pays N208m WAEC fees for 21,589 candidates–Commissioner
- Opadokun, NADECO leader, seeks more libraries to boost reading culture
- Review: Teni Apata’s music, personality evolution draws mixed feelings
- Ministry of power seeks collaboration with agencies for improved power supply
- Kano State targets 3.8m children for meningitis vaccination
- Focus, Funding, keys to having to a great musical career- Toby
- Institute tasks FG on tourism, hospitality sector
- Boxing: NIDCOM boss, Dabiri-Erewa applauds Joshua’s victory over Ruiz Jr.
- Christmas: We are capable of meeting demands- Nasarawa Rice Millers
- Cleric urges Christians to live exemplary lives
- Nutrition Survey will lead to improved quality healthcare – Experts
- RIFAN urges FG to sustain border closure
- Fireboy DML debuts best album to close 2019
- Style Review: the return of pleated skirts
- National Public Safety Security System: Police Affairs Ministry sets up committee for smooth take-off
- Expert urges FG to sensitise Nigerians on $29.96bn foreign loan
- ‘Muna’ suggests new career angle for Adesua Etomi-Wellington
- BASA will strengthen cultural ties, deepen unity amongst personnel – CAS
- Nigeria on cause to raise Olympic champions in gymnastic – Coach Asuquo
- FG to introduce new visa regime to boost economy
- Expo 2020 in Dubai: What Benefits to Africa?
- Boxing: I’m happy Joshua won back his respect, says Isaac Ikhouria
- Boxing: Joshua takes revenge on Ruiz in Saudi Arabia rematch
- Buhari salutes Anthony Joshua on comeback victory
- DSS says Sowore’s rearrest video, mischief, meant for propagandist purpose
- NGO wants HIV test as component of routine ante natal care
- FG assures qualified teachers of good welfare, incentives
- Buhari mourns Evangelist Reinhard Bonnke
- Salome Abuh, PDP woman leader burnt to death, buried amid tears