Milan (Italy), Feb. 17, 2019 (Reuters/NNN) Inter Milan ended a turbulent week by beating Sampdoria 2-1 in Serie A on Sunday under the gaze of injured top scorer Mauro Icardi.
The Argentine striker was stripped of the captaincy on Wednesday amid protracted negotiations over a new contract.
He had then refused to travel for their UEFA Europa League fixture against Rapid Vienna the following day.
The club subsequently announced Icardi would miss the visit of Sampdoria through injury.
The 25-year-old watched from the stands at San Siro as new captain Samir Handanovic led out the team.
Danilo D’Ambrosio and Radja Nainggolan struck for the Nerazzurri either side of Samp substitute Manolo Gabbiadini’s goal in the space of five second half minutes.
The victory relieved the pressure on coach Luciano Spalletti as Inter Milan restored a four-point cushion over rivals
AC Milan in third place with their second consecutive league win.
Spalletti had a message for his star striker after the game.
“I very much appreciated that he was in the stadium and I would’ve appreciated it even more if he had come into the dressing room afterwards to celebrate with us.
“It was a very important victory for the team and he is part of this group,” he told Italian broadcasters.
“There are more steps to be made, which are for him to come to the dressing room, to enjoy being a part of this very good group, to relish wearing the glorious jersey of a club like Inter Milan. That sort of thing.”
It took 73 minutes for the first goal to be scored and it came from an unlikely source.
Full-back D’Ambrosio poked in Ivan Perisic’s low cross to score his first goal of the season.
The lead lasted three minutes before substitute Gabbiadini scored with his first touch, the striker profiting from some hesitant defending to finish into the corner.
Nainggolan restored Inter Milan’s lead two minutes later with a well-taken finish from the edge of the area.
Inter Milan remain in third place on 46 points, while Sampdoria are 10th on 33 points having won just one of their last six Serie A matches.(Reuters/NNN)
(Edited by Olawale Alabi)
- Gambari appeals to govt. to provide enabling environment for affordable housing
- Ugandan Nakalembe wins opening round at Nigeria Ladies Open Golf Championship
- Imo NDLEA confirms arrest of alleged notorious drug dealer
- Multiple accident claims 13 lives on Lagos-Ibadan expressway
- APC NWC upholds suspension of Edo party’s chairman
- I will be most excited person if I win 2021 AFCON for Nigeria, Rohr says
- Don tasks FG on production of West Africa Dwarf goat
- Medical doctors urged to draw line between profession ethics and business
- Buhari meets Pearson Educational Group mgt. in London
- Chemical engineers call for policies to promote smart agricultural value chain
- Nigerians seek tougher actions against corruption
- Gov. Matawalle reassures Zamfara citizens of his commitment to security
- Kogi: FCT minister drums support for Bello
- Super Eagles ‘ll grow into AFCON qualifiers, says Akanni
- Obaseki has failed Edo people, says PDP
- Makinde appoints Ex-Rep. Ogunwuyi DG, Investments, PPP Agency
- ZMSG to resuscitate 5 abandoned ginneries—-Gov. Matawalle
- PDP rejects hate speech bill
- Businessman arraigned over alleged importation of 13 containers of substandard cables
- International GIS Day: Expert calls for GIS inculcation in STEM study