Mrs Anisa Ari, the WRAPA Senior Programme Coordinator, while speaking on the occasion of the International Women’s Day (IWD) in Abuja on Friday, urged Nigerians to see the occasion as a “celebration of humans’’.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the IWD was first celebrated in New York on Feb. 28, 1909 as “National Women’s Day, by the Socialist Party of America.
The theme of the 2019 celebration is: “Think Equal, Build Smart, Innovate for Change’’.
The theme focuses on innovative ways to advance gender equality and the empowerment of women social protection systems, access to public services and sustainable infrastructure.
Ari advised harmonious relationships between the male and female gender in the societies.
She said: “As we celebrate women all over the world today, we call on everyone to take it as a celebration of humans.
“It is also a day to reflect on how we can exist in a way that is better than normal.
“Let us walk side by side with men and boys; women and girls to normalise balance for all in both public and private places.
“Disgusting societal norms and traditions that are hindering the progress of women in the society should be discarded.’’
- Zamfara APC Crisis: Court dissolves Zamfara executives, orders fresh congresses
- NBBF mourns former D’Tigers invitee, Ojo
- Adamawa Assembly approves Gov. Fintiri’s N550m Agric loan
- ACF urges FG to tackle killings, insecurity in southern Kaduna
- Insecurity: Umahi advises Buhari to retain service chiefs
- Man, 27, drowns in Kano pond
- COVID-19 : EKSG introduces tax relief, incentives for businesses
- Apapa congestion : NUPENG directs tanker drivers to suspend services in Lagos
- Buhari to inaugurate NCDMB’s 17-storey hqtrs Aug. 13
- VP Osinbajo wants deepening of PPP for infrastructure development