Iranian Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, said on Tuesday that “no negotiation on any level will happen between officials of the Islamic Republic and the U.S.,’’ unless the U.S, “repents”.
“If the U.S. takes back its words and repents and returns to the nuclear deal, which they have violated, they can take part in the meetings of signatories to this agreement with Iran.
“Otherwise, no negotiation on any level will happen between officials of the Islamic Republic and the U.S., neither in New York nor anywhere else,’’ Khamenei said on state television.
His remarks referred to speculation over a possible meeting between U.S. President Donald Trump and Iranian President Hassan Rowhani on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly in New York, which begins this week.
Trump on Monday did not rule out a meeting, saying that he had “no meeting scheduled’’ with the Iranian president but “I know they want to meet’’.
The remarks by Khamenei come after Trump said he believes Iran is likely behind the attacks on key Saudi oil refineries at the weekend that sent oil prices soaring.
Edited by Abdulfatah Babatunde
- Gambari appeals to govt. to provide enabling environment for affordable housing
- Ugandan Nakalembe wins opening round at Nigeria Ladies Open Golf Championship
- Imo NDLEA confirms arrest of alleged notorious drug dealer
- Multiple accident claims 13 lives on Lagos-Ibadan expressway
- APC NWC upholds suspension of Edo party’s chairman
- I will be most excited person if I win 2021 AFCON for Nigeria, Rohr says
- Don tasks FG on production of West Africa Dwarf goat
- Medical doctors urged to draw line between profession ethics and business
- Buhari meets Pearson Educational Group mgt. in London
- Chemical engineers call for policies to promote smart agricultural value chain
- Nigerians seek tougher actions against corruption
- Gov. Matawalle reassures Zamfara citizens of his commitment to security
- Kogi: FCT minister drums support for Bello
- Super Eagles ‘ll grow into AFCON qualifiers, says Akanni
- Obaseki has failed Edo people, says PDP
- Makinde appoints Ex-Rep. Ogunwuyi DG, Investments, PPP Agency
- ZMSG to resuscitate 5 abandoned ginneries—-Gov. Matawalle
- PDP rejects hate speech bill
- Businessman arraigned over alleged importation of 13 containers of substandard cables
- International GIS Day: Expert calls for GIS inculcation in STEM study