Iran will punish all those responsible for the accidental shooting down of a Ukrainian passenger plane, President Hassan Rouhani said in a televised speech on Tuesday, adding that the “tragic event” would be investigated thoroughly.
“It was an unforgivable error … one person cannot be solely responsible for the plane crash,” he said.
“Iranian Armed Forces admitting their mistake is a good first step … We should assure people that it will not happen again,” he said, adding that his government was “accountable to Iranian and other nations who lost lives in the plane crash”.
NAN reports that Iran admitted “unintentionally” shooting down a Ukrainian passenger jet, killing all 176 people on board.
The military said the jet turned towards a sensitive site belonging to Iran’s Revolutionary Guards and was then mistaken for a cruise missile.
Iran had previously rejected suggestions that it was to blame.
The downing of Ukraine International Airlines flight PS752 on Wednesday came just hours after Iran carried out missile strikes on two airbases housing US forces in Iraq.
The strikes were a response to the killing of senior Iranian commander Qasem Soleimani in a U.S. drone strike in Baghdad on Jan. 3.
Edited by: Abdullahi Mohammed/Sadiya Hamza
- Insecurity: CSOs call FG to intensify effort to allow farmers access farmlands
- COVID 19: Foundation begins online medical intervention
- COVID-19: PTF reverts govt working hours to 8a.m. to 4p.m. for GL 12 upward
- NIPC boss considers Shoprite strategic investment in Nigeria
- UNDP, EU want strong legislation to end rape, violence against women
- Buhari sympathises with Lebanon over massive explosions
- Post-COVID-19: Feed miller urges youths to embrace agribusiness for sustainability to embrace agribusiness for sustainability
- COVID-19: United States lifts global travel advisory
- Prof. Sule, Plateau SUBEB boss, gets fresh tenure
- SSANU, NASU threaten strike over unresolved issues with FG