Italy’s govt ‘paralysed’ by infighting, key cabinet member says
“The election campaign has paralysed the government,’’ cabinet secretary Giancarlo Giorgetti of the far-right League party told La Stampa newspaper.
Giorgetti is the right-hand man of League leader, deputy premier and Interior Minister Matteo Salvini, who is increasingly at odds with his Five Star Movement (M5S) populist allies.
“In the last three weeks the government has been on standby for the election campaign and instead of talking about the things we need to do in Italy and Europe there has been chaos,’’ Giorgetti said.
The League and the M5S have recently sparred over migration, taxes, soft drugs and welfare.
Due to policy disagreements, the agenda of a cabinet meeting expected to take place later was still unclear.
Giorgetti said communications and personal ties between coalition partners have become strained, and when this happens, “governing becomes impossible.”
There has long been speculation that the uneasy League-M5S partnership, formed one year ago, may fall apart after May 26 European Parliament elections.
Giorgetti said Salvini was still loyal to the coalition, however the situation cannot last forever, it is measured over time and the loyalty is being severely tested.
He also hailed his boss as Italy’s “only real politician.”
- Gambari appeals to govt. to provide enabling environment for affordable housing
- Ugandan Nakalembe wins opening round at Nigeria Ladies Open Golf Championship
- Imo NDLEA confirms arrest of alleged notorious drug dealer
- Multiple accident claims 13 lives on Lagos-Ibadan expressway
- APC NWC upholds suspension of Edo party’s chairman
- I will be most excited person if I win 2021 AFCON for Nigeria, Rohr says
- Don tasks FG on production of West Africa Dwarf goat
- Medical doctors urged to draw line between profession ethics and business
- Buhari meets Pearson Educational Group mgt. in London
- Chemical engineers call for policies to promote smart agricultural value chain
- Nigerians seek tougher actions against corruption
- Gov. Matawalle reassures Zamfara citizens of his commitment to security
- Kogi: FCT minister drums support for Bello
- Super Eagles ‘ll grow into AFCON qualifiers, says Akanni
- Obaseki has failed Edo people, says PDP
- Makinde appoints Ex-Rep. Ogunwuyi DG, Investments, PPP Agency
- ZMSG to resuscitate 5 abandoned ginneries—-Gov. Matawalle
- PDP rejects hate speech bill
- Businessman arraigned over alleged importation of 13 containers of substandard cables
- International GIS Day: Expert calls for GIS inculcation in STEM study