Connect with us

Judiciary

Jobless man, 34, arraigned over alleged break-in, attempt to steal

Published

on

A 34-year-old unemployed, Chinedu Okorie, who allegedly broke into a house to steal, on Wednesday appeared before an Ogudu Magistrates’ Court in Lagos.

Okorie, whose address was not provided, is facing a three-count charge of housebreaking, intent to commit felony and stealing, to which he pleaded not guilty.

The Prosecutor, Insp. Lucky Ihiehie, said that the defendant committed the offences on April 6, at Ajibola Crescent, Alapere, in Ketu area of Lagos.

He said that the defendant broke into the room of one Tinuke Fasanya with intent to steal her belongings.

“Among the weapons found on the defendant are a cutlass and three lighters, which he used to damage the door of the house.

“The defendant is also accused of obtaining the sum of N240, 000 from Mr Segun Sodeyinde for a business deal, but instead converted the money to his own use.

“He is accused of stealing the sum of N120, 000 from one James Oketunde, who is his neighbour,” Ihiehie told the court.

The offences contravened Sections 308, 337 and 287 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the defendant risks seven years in prison if found guilty, according to Section 308.

The Magistrate, Mrs E. Kubeinje, granted the defendant bail in the sum of N120, 000 with two sureties in like sum, and adjourned the case until May 13 for mention.

Advertisement

Judiciary

Court fixes Jan. 27, 2020, for suit challenging levy in Ikeja Computer village

Published

on

A Federal High Court sitting in Lagos on Tuesday, further adjourned until Jan. 27, 2020, for report of service in a suit challenging the imposition of levies in the Ikeja Computer Village.

The Fundamental Rights suit, marked FHC/L/CS/1568/19, is filed by one Prince Ochokwu Obieze through his lawyer, Mr Ikechukwu Chiaha.

Joined as first to fourth respondents are: Inspector- General of Police, Commissioner of Police Lagos Police Command, Area Commander Area F Command and one IPO, Jennifer.

Also joined as fifth to seventh respondent are: Mr Tony, Mrs Bisiola Azeez, (Iyaloja) and Mr Adeniyi Olasoji (Babaloja).

The applicant is seeking a declaration that the incessant molestation, threat to kill, harassment and his detention by the first to fourth respondent at the instance of the fifth to seventh respondent is illegal.

On Tuesday, Mr Ikechukwu Chiaha announced appearance for the applicant, while Mr P.A. Oyewo appeared for the fifth to seventh defendants.

Chiaha told the court that the case was coming up for the first time, adding that he had served the court processes on respective parties.

He said,for instance, that the court’s processes were served on the fifth to seventh respondent over a month ago.

He argued that if reliance was to be placed on the provisions of order 4 rule 1 of the Fundamental Human Rights Enforcement Procedure Rules, then the court ought to hear the applicant’s motion.

According to him, the bailiff of the court also informed him that processes had been served on the other defendants, but added that since the court is “dominus’, (lord), he would leave everything at its discretion.

He said that subject to the court’s convenience, he would be asking for a short date.

On his part, fifth to seventh defence counsel (Oyewo) said he was not opposed to a date.

The court consequently, adjourned the case until Jan .27, 2020, for report of service.

In the originating motion, applicant is seeking  declaration that the forceful invasion of his business premises at the Computer Village, Ikeja on Aug. 8, by thugs for refusal to pay “unjustifiable levies” made by the fifth to seventh respondents is unlawful and illegal.”

He also wants a declaration that his beating, harassment, and intimidation in the market place by the fifth to seventh respondents in company with their thugs, due to his refusal to accede to an illegal levy in the computer village is unlawful.

The applicant also seeks a declaration that the inhumane treatment meted on him during his detention by agents of the first to fourth respondent at the instance of the fifth to seventh respondent, is a flagrant violation of his fundamental rights.

He, therefore, seeks an order of perpetual injunction, restraining the respondents from further infringing on or violating his rights.

The applicant also seeks an order, restraining the respondent from further “forcefully and exploitatively“ demanding payment of the said levies from him.

Applicant wants an order restraining the respondents from forcing and torturing him to denounce his membership of the Computer and Allied Products Dealers Association of Nigeria.

Besides, the applicant seeks payment of damages in the sum of N25 million against the respondents for the violation of his fundamental rights as well as aggravated and exemplary damages in the sum of N2 million.

He also wants a public apology from the respondents to be published in two national dailies.

Edited by Shittu Obassa/Sadiya Hamza

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Court remands 46-year-old man for allegedly sodomising teenager

Published

on

Remand

Kaduna, Nov. 19, 2019 A Chief Magistrates’ Court in Kaduna on Tuesday ordered that a 46-year-old man, Inuwa Shehu, who allegedly sodomised a 15-year-old boy be remanded in a correctional facility, pending legal advice.

The police charged Shehu, who lives at Kawo in Kaduna State, with unnatural offence.

The Magistrate, Hajara Dauda, who did not take Shehu’s plea, held that the court lacked jurisdiction over the matter.

Dauda ordered the police to return the case file to the Kaduna State Director of Public Prosecutions for advice.

She adjourned the case until Nov. 29 for mention and

Earlier, the Prosecutor, Insp. Sunday Baba, told the court that the complainant, Adamu Hassan of the same address, reported the case at the Gabasawa Police Division on Nov. 1.

He told the court that at about 7 p.m., Shehu allegedly lured the 15-year-old boy into an uncompleted building at Kawo Kaduna and sodomised him.

According to the prosecutor, the offence contravened the provisions of Section 259 of the Kaduna State Penal Code Laws, 2017.

Edited by Ejike Obeta/Sadiya Hamza

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Court remands 52-year-old businessman for allegedly sodomising teenager

Published

on

An Ikeja Chief Magistrates’ Court in Lagos on Tuesday ordered that a 52-year-old businessman, Jude Duru, who allegedly sodomised a 14-year-old boy, be remanded in a Correctional Facility, pending legal advice.

The police charged Duru, who resides at No. 15 Bakare Opeche St., Dopemu in Lagos, is charged with sexual assault.

Chief Magistrate B.O. Osunsanmi,  who did not take the plea of Duru, ordered that he be remanded in a Nigerian Correctional Service facility in Kirikiri, Lagos .

Osunsanmi ordered the police to duplicate the case file to the Lagos State Director of Public Prosecutions.

She adjourned the case until Jan. 14.

Earlier, the Police Prosecutor, ASP Ezekiel Ayorinde, told the court that the defendant sexually assaulted his 14-year-old apprentice (name withheld) in his house.

Ayorinde told the court that the defendant committed the offence between June and September,

The offence, he said, contravened the provisions of Section 261 of the Criminal Laws of Lagos State 2015, (Revised) and stipulates life imprisonment if found convicted.

edited by Sadiya Hamza

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Dismissed cop arraigned, remanded at Ikoyi Prison for murder of Kolade Johnson

Published

on

A dismissed police inspector, Ogunyemi Olalekan, was on Tuesday at an Ikeja High Court remanded at the Ikoyi Prisons after his arraignment for the alleged murder of Kolade Johnson, a 35-year-old man at a viewing center in Lagos.

The Nigeria News Agency reports that Olalekan, 45, during his arraignment pleaded not guilty to a charge of murder.

Following his plea, Mr Yhaqub Oshoala, Lagos State Director of Public Prosecution, requested that Olalekan who has been incarcerated at the Ikoyi Prison since his arrest, continue to be remanded at the facility.

“We ask that the defendant continue to be detained in prison custody before the trial date. Our witnesses are available and we are ready to commence,” Oshoala told the court.

Before adjourning the case, the presiding judge, Justice A. J Coker told Mr Ike Ezekwen, the defence counsel to explain to Olalekan the option of a bargain agreement before the trial commences.

“This case is adjourned to Jan. 15, 2020 for trial. The defendant is further remanded at the Ikoyi Correctional Facility.

“The prosecution team is enjoined to bring their witnesses to court,” Justice Coker said.

According to the prosecution, Olalekan, a dismissed police inspector working with Special Anti-Cultism Squad, committed the offence at 5.10pm on Mar. 31 at Onipetesi Estate, Mangoro area of Lagos.

“The former police inspector unlawfully killed Johnson by shooting him with a AK47 rifle in the lower abdomen.

“The offence contravenes Section 223 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State 2015,” Oshoala said.

NAN reports that Section 223 prescribes death sentence for anyone convicted of the offence of murder.

Edited by Maharazu Ahmed

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Court sentences 2 artisans to 10 strokes of cane for stealing

Published

on

Sentence

Kaduna, Nov. 19, 2019 An Upper Sharia Court in Kaduna on Tuesday sentenced two artisans, Saminu Ahmed, 25 and Mohammed Isah, 23, to 10 strokes of the cane each for stealing two  Television sets and two laptops.

The Judge, Mustapher Umar, sentenced them after they pleaded guilty to criminal conspiracy, house breaking and theft and begged for lenienc.

Umar also gave the convicts an option to a fine of N5, 000 each.

Earlier, the prosecutor, Insp. Shehu Abubakar, told the court that on Nov. 2, the complainant, Alhaji Musa Mai-Shanu, who lives in Malali, Kaduna reported the matter at the Gabasawa Police Station.

The prosecutor said the convicts broke into the complainant’s house and stole two tv sets and two laptops.

He said the offence contravened the provisions of sections 59, 289 and 270 of the Kaduna State Penal Code Laws, 2017.

edited by Sadiya Hamza

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Man, 46, arraigned for allegedly stealing goats

Published

on

A 46-year-old man, Sabiu Salisu, was on Tuesday arraigned before an Ado Ekiti Magistrates’ court for allegedly stealing goats valued at N45,000.

Salisu and others now at large committed the offence on Nov. 2, 2019, at Ayegunle Ekiti in Ekiti.

The accused whose address was not provided at the court was facing a two-count charge of conspiracy and stealing.

He, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.

The Prosecutor, Insp. Oriyomi Akinwale, told the court that the accused and others now at large, stole three goats, each valued at N15,000 and a total value of N45,000.

He said the offences were punishable under Sections 516 and 390 (9) of the Criminal Code Cap C16 Vol.1 Laws of Ekiti State 2012.

The Chief Magistrate, Mrs Olufunmike Aloma, granted the accused bail in the sum of N5,000 with one surety in like sum.

The case was adjourned until Dec. 17 for mention.

Edited by Dorcas Jonah/Adeleye Ajayi

Continue Reading

© 2019 NNN NEWS NIGERIA. EDITOR@NNN.COM.NG