Connect with us

General news

Joshua should intensify training ahead Ruiz bout — Ekwelum

Published

on

Ngozika Ekwelum, a former Nigeria Heavyweight Champion, has advised Anthony Joshua to intensify his training, ahead his bout with Andy Ruiz Jr, to enable him reclaim his lost World title Belts for posterity sake.

Ekwelum in an interview with the Nigeria News Agency in Awka on Wednesday, called on the Federal Government to assist Joshua for it was an honour to the whole nation.

“Joshua should not think that Ruiz will go to sleep after winning the belts from him.

“There is need for Joshua to embark on a vigorous training schedule for him to truly win his belts back.

“I call on Federal Government to open up discussion with Joshua’s camp on how to assist him for the reputation of the country is at stake,” he said.

Ekwelum also urged government at all levels to always support sportsmen and women in their endeavours.

“Government should draft ways of discovering hidden talents and support them to stardom.

“It doesn’t stop there, after retirement from active sports life, there is need for government to take care of their medical bills and welfare for having served the nation,” he said.
ROE/KOLE/PDE

(Edited by Remi Koleoso/Peter Ejiofor)

Sport

Fury hopes to ‘give fans what they want’ with Joshua showdown

Published

on

Tyson Fury said he was eager to give British boxing fans what they want by fighting Anthony Joshua for the undisputed world heavyweight title, but said the duo must focus on their immediate opponents to make such a match happen.

Fury won the WBC title in Las Vegas three months ago with a seventh-round stoppage of Deontay Wilder.

Joshua defeated Mexican-American Andy Ruiz Jr in a December rematch in Saudi Arabia to reclaim his IBF, WBA, WBO and IBO titles.

Joshua’s next fight is with mandatory IBF challenger Kubrat Pulev, but their bout, scheduled for June 20, was postponed due to the COVID-19 crisis.

Fury will take on Wilder in a rematch later this year.

“If I get knocked out by Wilder, then it won’t be on, will it?

“It’ll be another fight with Wilder… If he loses to Pulev, so close, but so far.

“In heavyweight boxing, you can never count your chickens before they hatch, so one fight at a time, one victory at a time,” Fury told Sky Sports.

Fury said a meeting with Joshua had the potential to be the biggest match since Britons Lennox Lewis and Frank Bruno fought in 1993.

“All going well, God willing, we get on the big fight with me and Joshua, the all-British showdown, and I can give the fans what they want to see, especially the British fans,” he promised.

Edited By: Emmanuel Okara/ (NAN)

Continue Reading

Sport

Bulgarian Pulev to donate half of money from Joshua fight to coronavirus medics

Published

on

IBF’s mandatory challenger Kubrat Pulev says he will donate half of his purse from the world heavyweight title fight against Briton Anthony Joshua to help medical workers fight the “devilish” coronavirus.

The 38-year-old Bulgarian is expected to earn around five million dollars from the fight, which has been postponed due to the pandemic.

The fight was originally scheduled for June 20 at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in London.

“I will donate 50 percent of the money I earn from the match with Joshua to the tireless heroes in the fight against the coronavirus,” Pulev told German daily Bild on Sunday.

“I will give doctors, nurses and hospitals the necessary equipment to deal with this devilish virus.”

Last month Pulev said the fight would take place “towards the end of the year” due to the outbreak and that he would have no problem fighting without spectators in attendance.

Pulev, one of Bulgaria’s most popular sportsmen, had previously challenged for the IBF world heavyweight title in 2014.

But he lost then to Wladimir Klitschko in Hamburg, when he was knocked out in the fifth round.

The 30-year-old Joshua reclaimed the WBA, WBO and IBF belts with a unanimous points win over Andy Ruiz Jr in December.

OLAL

(
Edited By: Olawale Alabi)
(NAN)

Continue Reading

Sport

Joshua versus Pulev heavyweight title fight postponed, promoters announce

Published

on

The world heavyweight title fight between Briton Anthony Joshua and IBF’s mandatory challenger Kubrat Pulev of Bulgaria originally scheduled for June 20 has been postponed, promoters Matchroom Boxing said on Friday.

Joshua’s defence of his IBF, WBA, WBO and IBO titles was set to take place at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

But the coronavirus outbreak has brought global sport to a standstill, with no competition taking place in the UK.

“A new date for the event… is currently being worked on,” Matchroom Boxing said in a statement.

“We will announce any updates in due course and continue to explore the possibility of hosting this fight at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.”

Pulev said last month the fight would take place “towards the end of the year” due to the outbreak and that he would have no problem fighting without spectators in attendance.

It marks the second time their bout has not gone ahead as planned.

Joshua was initially due to fight Pulev at Cardiff’s Principality Stadium in October 2017, but the Bulgarian withdrew after suffering a shoulder injury in sparring.

Pulev had previously challenged for the IBF world heavyweight title in 2014 but lost to Wladimir Klitschko in Hamburg when he was knocked out in the fifth round.

The 30-year-old Joshua reclaimed the WBA, WBO and IBF belts with a unanimous points win over Andy Ruiz Jr in December.

OLAL

(
Edited By: Olawale Alabi)
(NAN)

Continue Reading

Sport

Lagos SWAN lauds Joshua-Akanji’s appointment as SA Media

Published

on

The Chairman of the Lagos State Sports Writers Association (SWAN), Debo Oshundun, has lauded the appointment of one of its members, John Joshua-Akanji, as the Special Adviser Media to the Minister of Youth and Sports.

Oshundun, in a statement on Monday in Lagos, described the appointment of the former Editor of the Sun Newspapers as a round peg in a round hole.

He commended the Minister for his due diligence in getting a capable hand to work with and also expressed confidence in Joshua-Akanji’s ability to get the job done as the media aide to the Minister.

“Joshua-Akanji is a staunch member of Lagos SWAN and one of those younger journalists look up to as a mentor.

“We are glad that this highly-respected and experienced journalist was deemed fit by the Honourable Minister, Sunday Dare, for this very sensitive position.

“With over 25 years as a journalist, we are confident that the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Journalism and Literature in English graduate, is well suitable for the task,’’ he said.

Oshundun added that Lagos SWAN must have been doing things in the right directions for its members to have continued to play strategic roles in sports’ fraternities.

The Nigeria News Agency reports that, before the appointment of Joshua-Akanji by the Sports Minister, Patrick Omorodion was appointed Special Adviser to a former Minister of Sports, Tammy Danagogo.

Similarly, Nneka Anibeze, another stalwart of the Lagos SWAN, worked under the leadership of Mr Solomon Dalung.

“Joshua-Akanji had stints with Kaduna State Media Corporation, Channels Television (Freelance), Murhi Television (MITV), Star FM, National Interest Newspapers and BBC.

“The Mirror Newspapers and Sun Newspapers where he rose to become the Editor of Soccer Star and Sporting Sun,’’ he said.

Edited By: Kamal Tayo Oropo/Adeleye Ajayi

 

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Foreign

Anthony Joshua thanks Nigerian envoy for inspiring him

Published

on

World heavyweight boxing champion Anthony Joshua has expressed appreciation to the Consul General of Nigeria in New York, Mr Benaoyagha Okoyen, for psyching him up to reclaim his titles.

After Joshua lost to Andy Ruiz Jr during their first match in New York in June, Okoyen sent him a letter praising his courage and assuring him of Nigeria’s support in his future fights. 

areer.

The letter obviously meant a lot to the 30-year-old Nigerian-British pugilist, who held it up in a photograph obtained by the Nigeria News Agency .

After reclaiming the titles in Saudi Arabia on Saturday, he reciprocated with words of appreciation to the Consul General.

Joshua’s message was conveyed by a U.S.-based Nigerian journalist, Joi John, who covered the rematch in Saudi Arabia.

The two-time heavyweight boxing champion was quoted as saying that the letter was a big source of inspiration to him at a time he needed it most. 

“To Ben. God bless,” Joshua wrote on an autographed copy of the official fight brochure at the Diriyah Arena which he sent to the envoy.

Okoyen displays the autographed brochure from Joshua.

Born in the UK to Nigerian parents, Anthony Oluwafemi Joshua has always identified with his Nigerian heritage. 

Moments after defeating Andy Ruiz Jr, he did a video message thanking Nigerians for their support. 

The boxer will be visiting Nigeria to present his IBF, WBA, and WBO world heavyweight boxing titles to President Muhammadu Buhari, according to the Minister of Sports, Mr Sunday Dare.

(Edited by: Oluyinka Fadare/Emmanuel Yashim)
(NAN)
Related

Continue Reading

General news

Anthony Joshua to present world championship belts to Buhari soon

Published

on

World boxing heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua will soon present his belts to President Muhammadu Buhari, a presidential aide disclosed on Wednesday in Abuja.

Laolu Akande, the Senior Special Assistant (SSA) to the President on Media and Publicity, Office of the Vice President, made the disclosure while briefing State House correspondents on behalf of the Minister of Sports, Sunday Dare.

The Nigeria News Agency reports that the briefing took place after the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting presided over by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo on Wednesday in Abuja.

Akande however said the date for the presentation of the belts was yet to be fixed.

The Minister of Sports announced that Anthony Joshua will be presenting his belts to the President in a matter of days.

The Council members also expressed appreciation for the gift of books from the Vice President which has become an annual tradition,’’ he said.

NAN reports that Joshua, a Nigerian-British boxer, beat Mexican-American boxer Andy Ruiz Jr. through a unanimous points decision in Saudi Arabia on Sunday.

The victory helped him to reclaim the IBF, WBO, WBA and IBO heavyweight world championship belts he lost to Ruiz Jr. in June.

(Edited by: Olawale Alabi)
(NAN)
Related

Continue Reading

General news

Dabiri-Erewa hails Anthony Joshua’s boxing victory

Published

on

Hon. Abike Dabiri-Erewa, Chairman and  Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM) has congratulated Nigerian-born boxer, Anthony Joshua, for defeating his opponent Andy Ruiz Jr in World Heavyweight Boxing fight in Saudi Arabia on Dec.7.

In a statement signed and released by NIDCOM’s Head, Media and Public Relations, Mr Abdur-Rahman Balogun on Sunday, Dabiri-Erewa said the win made the Nigerian-born boxer thus reclaiming his World Heavyweight titles.

She said the victory over the Mexican was not only a thing of pride to Nigerians, but to Africa as a whole.

“NIDCOM congratulates Joshua on the wonderful feat, for winning the tensed but historical fight.

“NIDCOM is truly proud of you, the commission wished you, to continue to use your professional prowess to extol the virtues of Nigerian heritage,

“Your shinning beacon serves as inspiration to the youth of Nigeria,” the commission’s CEO said.

She said Joshua’s victory was also a testimony to the fact that Nigerians were great people.

“Nigerians contribute in many ways to the development of the country and the continent as a whole.

NIDCOM notes with satisfaction that, in spite of the challenges being faced by Anthony in his career, he has remained determined, focused, stayed clear of criminality and depression,’’ she  said

NIDCOM described Joshua as a two-time world heavyweight champion with unanimous points of 118-110, 118-110 and 119-109 victory over Ruiz Jr in a tense rematch in Saudi Arabia.

According to her, Joshua cut his opponent in round one and dominated the fight throughout.

“Joshua, 30, was born in Watford to Yoruba parents from Southwest Nigeria and made his professional debut together in 2013,” she said.

Edited & Vetted By: Chioma Ugboma/Tukur Muntari.
(NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Boxing: NIDCOM boss, Dabiri-Erewa applauds Joshua’s victory over Ruiz Jr.

Published

on

Boxing: NIDCOM boss, Dabiri-Erewa applauds Joshua’s victory over Ruiz Jr.

Hon. Abike Dabiri-Erewa, Chairman/CEO Nigerians

in Diaspora Commission ( NIDCOM) has congratulated Nigerian-born boxer,

Anthony Oluwafemi-Joshua, for defeating his opponent Andy Ruiz Jr in

Saturday’s World Heavyweight Boxing fight in Saudi Arabia, thus

reclaiming his World Heavyweight titles.

Dabiri-Erewa gave the commendation in a statement by NIDCOM’s Head of

Media and Public Relations, Abdur-Rahman Balogun, on Sunday in Abuja.

She said that the victory over the Mexican was not only a thing of pride

to Nigerians, but to Africa as a whole.

“I congratulate you on this wonderful feat, for winning this tensed but

historical fight.

“We are truly proud of you and urge you to continue to use your professional prowess to extol the virtues of Nigerian heritage.

“Your shinning beacon serves as inspiration to the youth of Nigeria.

“Your victory is also a testimony to the fact that Nigerians are great people, contributing in many ways to the development of the country and the continent as a whole,” Dabiri-Erewa stated.

She noted with satisfaction that in spite of the challenges being faced by Anthony in his career, he had remained determined, focused, and did

not allow that to lure him into any form of criminality or depression.

Anthony Joshua, a.k.a AJ, became a two-time world heavyweight champion

with a unanimous decision after he garnered 118 – 110, 118 – 110, and 119 – 109 ponits against his opponent in a tensed rematch.

Joshua cut his opponent in round one and dominated the fight throughout.

Six months on from the night Ruiz stunned the boxing world, Joshua risked seeing his career left in tatters for a second defeat before more than 14,000 spectators at the Diriyah arena, but served up 36 minutes of movement and well-timed punching to take the IBF, WBA, and WBO titles back to Britain.

Joshua, 30, was born in Watford to Yoruba parents from Southwest

Nigeria.

Joshua and a fellow Nigerian boxer, Ben lleyemi, made their professional debut together in 2013.

A.J now joins a small cluster of men including Muhammad Ali, Lennox

Lewis, Evander Holyfield, Mike Tyson and Floyd Patterson to have

reclaimed the world heavyweight title.

He was a bricklayer before taking up boxing full-time.

He also excelled in playing football and athletics and broke nine-year-old 100-metre record with a time of 11.6 seconds.

Edited & Vetted By: Emmanuel Yashim
(NAN)

Continue Reading

General news

Boxing: I’m happy Joshua won back his respect, says Isaac Ikhouria

Published

on

Boxing: I’m happy Joshua won back his respect, says Isaac Ikhouria

A former national light-heavyweight boxing champion, Isaac Ikhouria, has congratulated the Nigerian born British boxer, Anthony Joshua for defeating Mexican boxer, Andy Ruiz to reclaim his world heavyweight titles.

 

Ikhouria disclosed this while speaking with the Nigeria News Agency on Sunday in Benin.

“Nobody had expected Joshua loosing to him back then in June, I’m happy he has gotten back his titles, he has learnt a lesson from this competition, from all the details we heard before the fight.

 

“He trained so hard, he worked on himself by trimming down in size, lost some weight, it helped him to move faster.

 

“I’m particularly happy and proud of him that he has regain back his titles.

 

“There is no other option to hard work and discipline. If you are discipline and you listen to what your coaches are telling you, you will not fail,” he said.

 

The ex-international tasked up coming athletes on hard work and discipline, saying that they should watch the type of food they eat so they can remain fit at all times.

 

Edited & Vetted By: Ali Baba-Inuwa
(NAN)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also