Kaduna female aspirant organises novelty football tournament in Zangon Kataf
By Moses Kolo
Kafanchan (Kaduna State) Dec. 19, 2018 (NNN) A female candidate vying for Kaduna State House of Assembly under the APC platform, Mrs Maureen Lekwot, has organised a football tournament in a bid to unite members of her community to shun religious, ethic and social differences ahead of the 2019 general election.
Lekwot in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NNN) on Wednesday during the kick off of the tournament held at the Samaru Kataf football pitch in Zangon Kataf Local Government, said the aim was to demonstrate that the people could accommodate each other irrespective of their affiliations.
“Just as football is a rallying point, especially for young people irrespective of their belief and inclination, it is my hope that the people would approach politics with a sensitive spirit.
“We want to use avenues like this to sensitise the community to shun, acts capable of causing disharmony during the general election by demonstrating that peaceful co-existence is the best antidote to violence,” she said.
The candidate said it was high time the people realised that there was no party in the state associated with a particular religion or ethnicity, adding that the people to vote for candidates who represented the overall interest of the people.
Earlier in a remark at the opening of the event, Mr Ishaku Shakarau, an APC stalwart, said there was need to disabuse the mind of the people on misconceptions about good governance.
“The message of peaceful co-existence cannot be over emphasised as it was the bedrock of development of any society,” he said.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that eight communities including, Zonzon, Magamia, Zaman Dabo, Jankasa, Ikulu, Ungwan Gaya, Gora and Zango Urban, participated in the tournament. (NNN)
- Edo Govt. to provide 100,000 hectares of land for oil palm investors
- MSD campaign: Obiano warns immunisation workers against collection of tips
- 2019 AFRIFF: Tanzania Film Board woos Africa movie investors
- Igbo youths celebrate Mamman Daura at 80, felicitate with Muslims on Eid-el-Maulud
- 60% of drugs imported to be manufactured locally – NAFDAC
- Buhari greets ex-Anambra Gov. Virgy Etiaba at 77
- 2019 AFRIFF: Namibia Film Commission seeks collaboration with Nigerian filmmakers
- Delta guber: Appeal Court reserves judgment in Ogboru’ suit
- Court reserves judgment in appeal against Ihedioha’s election
- Edo Special Marshals strategise for optimal efficiency during Yuletide
- Lam Adesina: 120 students benefit N1.2m bursary award
- Imbibe spirit of love, patience, equity, lawmaker advises Muslims
- NAFDAC calls for stiffer punishment for drug traffickers
- Expert urges govt. to fund artificial intelligence research to boost ICT
- Appeal Court judgment: Oyo people’s mandate remains intact – Makinde
- NYSC DG expresses concern over dress code controversy
- Obaseki felicitates with Muslims on Eid-el-Maulud
- Anglican Bishop counsels Nigeria leaders on good governance
- Ex-Minister, Tam David-West dies at 83
- Don wants students examine on use of standard English