Tottenham Hotspur striker Harry Kane scored what he called “one of the best goals” of his career to beat Italian champions Juventus 3-2 in an enthralling International Champions Cup contest in Singapore on Sunday.
Kane capitalised after team mate Lucas Moura nicked the ball deep into injury time.
The striker thumps his effort from the halfway line high into the steamy night and over the head of Juventus’ back-pedalling goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny.
His goal completed a comeback after Cristiano Ronaldo put Juventus 2-1 in front.
“”It is probably one of the best goals of my career.
“”I could see in parts of the game the keeper was off the line.
“I thought if I get a chance to shoot, I’ll shoot and thankfully it went in,” Kane said.
Spurs midfielder Erik Lamela scored the only goal of the first half, striking from close range in the 31st minute after Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon palmed a shot from teenage striker Troy Parrott.
In a livelier second half, Juventus substitute Gonzalo Higuain equalised in the 56th minute after some neat interplay on the edge of the box gave him the space to place it low into the right corner.
Then up stepped crowd-favourite Ronaldo.
Defender Mattia De Sciglio cut the ball back to the Portuguese who drilled it across the keeper in his last touch before he was replaced.
However, Juventus’ lead did not last long.
In the 65th minute, Moura got on the end of a pinpoint pass from Tanguy Ndombele, the French midfielder who joined Spurs for a club record fee earlier this month.
Nevertheless, it was Kane’s wonder-goal – which came after Juventus midfielder Adrien Rabiot lost the ball – which sealed the win in the dying seconds.
““It was a great goal. Unbelievable from Harry. It is good for him to set off pre-season with scoring,” Spurs coach Mauricio Pochettino said.
- Int’l Youth Day, Ooni wants Big Brother 9ija show replaced
- Atalanta’s dream ends with cruel late double strike from PSG
- Buhari mourns ‘Old Friend of Nigeria’, Walter Carrington
- FG to `punish’ States, LGAs over double taxation in mining sector – Minister
- Insecurity: Gov. Sule reiterates commitment to supporting security agencies
- CMD Lafia Specialist Hospital tasks NUJ on Health Insurance
- Ahead Councils polls, Bauchi govt dissolves LGA executives
- Insecurity : Monarch lauds Buhari for inaugurating Police training college in Nasarawa
- Banditry: Sokoto Assembly calls for reinforcement of security in Illela LGA
- Elephants, almost extinct in Nigeria, conservationist laments