Kano State Joint Task Force Committee on Fake and Counterfeit Drugs under the Ministry of Health
on Thursday intercepted 145 cartons of expired drugs.
The information is in a statement by the Public Relations Officer of the ministry, Alhaji Ismail Gwammaja in Kano.
He stated that the operation was led by Dr Ibrahim Tsanyawa, the Chairman of the committee, who is also the state Commissioner
Gwammaja noted that the operation was jointly conducted by the ministry and National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC).
He added that “Kano State Joint Task Force committee on Fake and Counterfeit Drugs under the Ministry of Health on Thursday intercepted
145 cartons of expired and illicit drugs stored in a warehouse located at Niger street in Fagge Local Government Area of Kano metropolis.
“We received an information about the expired drugs stored in a warehouse, which is gradually sold to innocent people.”
The committee chairman, represented by the Director, Pharmaceutical Services in the ministry, Mr Abdu Madaki, explained that the
drugs included Vitamin drugs, Multivitamins and Diabetes drugs and others which were estimated to cost about N150 million.
He assured that the committee would continue to collaborate with relevant stakeholders in the state to stamp out the menace of fake and illicit
drugs sale and consumption.
The commissioner pointed out that the committee had successfully identified the owner and currently kept in a magistrate court for protection.
The committee, therefore, enjoined the public to complement government’s efforts and save the lives and property of innocent people by
reporting any syndicate involved in the use of drugs or any consumables to the committee for immediate action.
Edited by: Remi Koleoso/Hadiza Mohammed-Aliyu
- Gombe State Govt begins fumigation of 2,021 schools ahead of reopening
- Ministry of Communications wins FG’s 2020 innovation competition prizes
- COVID-19: World Bank approves $114.28 m for Nigeria
- NSE: Trading sustains bullish trend, rises 0.45%
- PGF DG tasks APC Campaign Council on Edo governorship election
- Chinese court sentences another Canadian to death for drugs
- Obaseki celebrates Daisy Danjuma at 68
- AU body advises FG on holistic approach in fights against corruption
- Experts urge mothers to embrace exclusive breastfeeding
- Osinbajo urges private sector to play key role in averting recession