The Kaduna State Urban Planning and Development Authority (KASUPDA) has reiterated its commitment to carrying out its development control mandate by ensuring that developers abide by building code.
The Director- General of KASUPDA, Malam Ismail Dikko, made this commitment in a statement on Friday, while clarifying why the agency took down the buildings on Filin Idin Bare-Bari in Zaria Town on Thursday.
Malam Dikko said that all the buildings it demolished were illegal structures as none had a Certificate of Occupancy and building permit.
He said that ‘’I challenge any of those property owners to produce these documents.”
According to him, the land was designated as Eid Praying ground reserved for Muslim faithful since the reign of the late Emir of Zazzau Yamusa, but people kept encroaching on it.
Dikko argued that the land was supposed to serve millions of people and even future generations, but was cornered by a few people.
“We cannot sacrifice the people’s commonwealth for the greed of a few persons.
“It will be recalled that during the administration Malam Namadi Sambo, when he was Kaduna State Governor, government had ordered developers and land speculators to stop the encroachment, but the directive fell on deaf ears.
‘’In spite of an existing government order, KASUPDA served the residents with a demolition notice in June 2020, after the zonal manager had issued several warnings,’’ Ismail explained.
The director-general said that the residents were given 21 days to remove all structures and valuable items on the site because they had illegally trespassed into the Eid prayer ground.
” The prayer ground is located along Kofar Gayan-Kofar Kona road in Zaria.’’
He urged Kaduna State residents to endeavour to obey all planning and building laws in order not to run foul of the law.
Dikko vowed that KASUPDA would restore the master plan of Kaduna State.
Edited By: Oluyinka Fadare/Maharazu Ahmed (NAN)
- Andreescu will not defend United States Open title
- Serena beats Venus to reach Lexington quarter-finals
- Gov. Umahi rejects Ebonyi’s transfer to Police Zone 13 Division
- UN Chief welcomes Israel, UAE peace agreement
- Caretaker committee promises better times for Anambra football stakeholders, unveils new FA secretariat
- NAPHER-SD identifies loopholes in sports industry policy draft, calls for review
- COVID-19: PTF working with partners to implement comprehensive response to virus
- How I survived COVID-19 — Foreign Affairs Minister
- Leipzig stun Atletico Madrid to reach Champions League last four
- Workshop identifies harmful impacts of Global Gag Rule on developing nations