The Katsina State government has said that N8.9 billion will be spent on Jibiya township storm water and drainage management project.
Gov. Aminu Masari disclosed this on Monday in Jibiya, while handing over the project to the contracting firm, Mothercat Nigeria Limited.
He said that the project was under the Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management Project (NEWMAP), sponsored by the World Bank.
The governor, who said that the project would be executed under phase one of the Urban Drainage Network for Jibiya flood control, described it as “long awaited”.
He explained that handing over of the project was a demonstration of the fact that the unfortunate event of July 15, 2018 was not forgotten by his administration.
Masari recalled that an unprecedented downpour had, in 2018, resulted in massive flow of water into Gada river, thereby causing stagnation and build up of water in the minor drainages within Jibiya town.
“The incident left about 466 houses washed away; about 50 persons killed, over 300 domestic animals killed and household items, including foodstuffs worth billions of Naira, lost to the flood,” he said.
Masari expressed gratitude to President Muhammadu Buhari for his concern and support to the people of the state during the time of distress.
He urged the contractors to comply with the terms of agreement to enhance smooth and successful implementation of the project.
In his remarks, the state Coordinator of NEWMAP, Mr Ashiru Mohammed, said that the project had a completion period of two years.
Mohammed further explained that the contract had the scope of construction of channels, road networks and drainages within Jibiya as well as perimeter fencing along the project corridor to safeguard lives.
Edited By: Remi Koleoso and (NAN)‘Wale Sadeeq
- KEKE Senior Grammar School, others excel in Y2020 Goveŕnors quiz competition
- Maximising the benefits of breastfeeding during COVID-19 pandemic
- Ministries of Defence, Enviroment to synergise on protection of N’Delta environment
- Sanwo-Olu pledges to revitalise agric sector
- SUNU Assurances declares N1.2bn profit
- Kogi acting CJ pledges to sustain late Ajanah’s legacies
- Abia stakeholders pass vote of no confidence in Rep. Nkole over alleged poor performance
- Edo election: Security council condemns violence – Obaseki, CP
- PDP governors’ forum urges security agencies to re-strategise to curb insecurity
- Commissioner decries parents’ attitude over students lateness to schools in Delta