The Kwara House of Assembly on Tuesday urged Gov. Abdulrahman Abdulrasaq to suspend the Governing Council of Kwara State University (KWASU), Malete, alleging non adherence to due process in the appointment of a new Vice Chancellor.
The House made the call in a resolution after deliberating on a petition jointly written by Usman Abubakar, lssa Sanusi and Adam Abubakar, alleging non compliance with due process in the ongoing selection of a vice chancellor for the university.
The petition, which was presented before the House by Wahab Opakunle (APC-Afon), enjoyed the support of all members at plenary.
The petitioners alleged that the shortlisting of the three nominees for the position did not conform with laid down rules.
The House Leader, Olawoyin Abubakar-Magaji, said the suspension of the Governing Council had become imperative to enable the House to investigate the allegations leveled against it.
Abubakar-Magaji argued that two of the three nominees for the position were not qualified , alleging that one of them was already 67-years-old while the other had left academics over nine years ago.
The Speaker, Danladi Yakuu-Salihu, while reading the resolution of the House, urged the governor to suspend the Governing Council of the institution and commence a new process of appointing a vice chancellor for the university.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the tenure of the pioneer Vice Chancellor, Prof. AbdulRasheed Na’Allah, is expected to end on July 27.
Also during Tuesday’s plenary, the House called for the suspension of Directors of Personnel Management and Treasurers in all the 16 local government councils in the state.
The House made the call after adopting the report of its joint committee investigating the allegation of misappropriation of funds by the suspended local government council chiefs.
The Speaker, while reading the resolution, said the suspension would allow for proper investigation of alleged misappropriation of funds in the 16 local government councils of the state.
- Buhari hails Consul-General Godwin Adama at 60
- Navy appoints 110 senior officers
- Labour, Civil Society flays deduction of salaries of workers, pensioners by Kaduna Govt, other States
- Gov Okowa’s wife donates food items to 5 correctional centres
- COVID-19: We’ve yet to receive promised ventilators from U.S. – Minister
- OYO APC inaugurates Alao-Akala led reconciliation committee
- Ibadan Poly manufactures ventilator, hand washing machine
- COVID-19: NCDC striving to increase PCR capacity for testing across Nigeria – DG
- FG approves police reorganisation, additional department, zonal commands
- COVID-19: NYSC corps members to wed by 5 a.m to avoid crowd
- COVID19: PTF to conclude assessment in 70 hours
- Sokoto, other attacks: Buhari directs fierce military operations
- Lagos Govt. to begin construction of Fashion Hub, Academy in Ikorodu
- May 29: PMB, Gov. Sule addressing developmental challenges – Speaker
- Gov. Ugwuanyi inaugurates 13km Abakpa-Emene link road
- Facebook German privacy case referred to European Court
- Gov. Ugwuanyi inaugurates 13-kilometre road in Enugu East council
- Lagos govt says Lekki Free Trade Zone exported $30m goods in one year
- 8.5m Nigerians suffering from hearing impairment – Expert
- Menstrual Hygiene Day: Stakeholders want misconceptions, myths removed