The Lagos State Waterways Authority (LASWA) says the death toll in the Friday’s evening boat mishap near Ikorodu has risen to five while one victim is still in critical condition.
The General Manager of LASWA, Mr Oluwadamilola Emmanuel, made this known in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Lagos while providing an update on the incident.
According to him, 16 of the passengers on board the ill-fated ferry have so far been rescued by the rescue team while search and rescue efforts are still ongoing.
“Rescue effort commenced this morning with the Commissioner of Transportation, Dr Frederic Oladeinde, LASWA Search Party, Local Boat Operators, Marine Police and LASEMA (Lagos State Emergency Management Agency).
“So far sixteen (16) passengers have been rescued alive with one person in critical condition and five (5) fatalities recorded.
“The Lagos State Government through the commissioner for transportation, commiserates with the families of those who lost their loved ones in this tragedy.
“Search and rescue effort is still on going, ’’ the LASWA boss said.
He said that the accident happened at Owode/Ibeshe near Ikorodu at about 8.30 p.m. on Friday evening.
According to him, both the boat operator and the passengers broke the law against night travel on waterways.
Emmanuel said that the boat, which took off illegally from Èbúté Ẹrọ Jetty, heading toward Ikorodu, ran into an unforeseen object on the waterways, which resulted in the mishap.
He said that the Lagos State Government, through the authority, had repeatedly warned boat operators and passengers against night travel on the Lagos Inland waterways.
NAN reports that on Friday, a-20 capacity passenger boat with the name “Lalek Marine” was suspected to have left Ebute Ero Jetty around 8.00 p.m. after the approved sailing time of 6.00 p.m. and didn’t arrive at its destination which was Ikorodu Terminal.
At the same night when the incident occurred, four passengers were dead, four others were missing while 11 were rescued alive.
On June 23, a local boat with four adult males on a boating expedition capsised due to water turbulence.
Three of the passengers were rescued alive while one was missing.
Earlier on June 18, LASWA had celebrated zero record of boat mishap in the last six months in the state waterways.
Edited By: Angela Okisor/Adeleye Ajayi (NAN)
30 stranded Nigerians in Lebanon rescued, among 150 awaiting evacuation – NIDCOM
Thirty Nigerians, who were trafficked and left stranded in Lebanon have been rescued, and are among a total of 150 victims awaiting evacuation to Nigeria.
The Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM) made this known in a statement by Gabriel Odu of its Media, Public Relations and Protocol Unit on
The commission said the rescue came after a video footage of the stranded Nigerians making an appeal to the Federal Government and well-meaning Nigerians to come to their aid viral on the Internet.
According to it, the appeal for help by the stranded Nigerians led to their rescue by officials of the country’s mission in Lebanon.
The stranded Nigerians have already been relocated to a more conducive apartment.
“They will be part of 150 others to be evacuated to Nigeria after they were trafficked and left stranded in Lebanon.
“The Lebanese Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr Houssam Diab disclosed the evacuation plans when the Management of NIDCOM, led by the Secretary, Dr Sule Bassi, visited that country’s mission in Abuja,” Odu said in the statement.
He quoted Diab as saying that the 150 girls would be returned home in batches with the first group of 110 people leaving Beirut for Lagos on Aug. 12.
The second batch sws expected to arrive Abuja on Aug. 16.
“The diplomat commended efforts of the Lebanese Community and the Oyo State Government who is sponsoring the return of 55 of the girls,” he said.
Responding on behalf of the NIDCOM Chairman/CEO, Mrs Abike Dabiri-Erewa, Secretary of the commission, who acknowledged the excellent ties between Nigeria and Lebanon, urged both countries to sustain the cordial relationship.
Bassi also lauded the Nigerian Ambassador to Lebanon, Amb. Goni Madu Zanna Bura for his dedication and commitment.
He also commended the staff of the Nigerian mission, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Oyo and Ogun state governments and other strategic partners for their efforts.
“As part of the Nigerian Embassy’s Consular responsibility, the ladies in the said video that went viral and many other distressed Nigerian domestic workers were located and relocated to a safer place.
“Suffice it to say that 150 of these stranded victims are expected to be evacuated next week and handed over to NAPTIP, the agency responsible for (dealing with human) trafficking.
“A break down of the evacuees shows that Oyo State had 41, Ogun 21, Lagos 12, Ondo 18, Osun 26, and Imo 3.
Others are Kwara– 9, Enugu — 1, Ekiti — 6, Kogi — 1, Edo — 1, Delta — 3, Ebonyi — 1, Benue — 1, Abia — 1, Akwa Ibom — 1, and Anambra — 1,” he said.
Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Emmanuel Yashim (NAN)
75% of vehicles plying 3rd Mainland Bridge ‘ll still be captured- FRSC
FRSC Corps Marshal, Dr Boboye Oyeyemi (Centre) and Mr Popoola Olukayode, the Federal Controller of Works in Lagos State, during a supervising visit to the ongoing rehabilitation of the Third Mainland Bridge on Tuesday.
Lagos, Aug. 4 Dr Boboye Oyeyemi, the Corps Marshal, Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), says 75 per cent of the vehicles plying the Third Mainland Bridge will still be captured in spite of its partial closure.
Oyeyemi made the clarification on Tuesday during his working visit to the bridge to observe traffic situation and ascertain the level of work at the site.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that rehabilitation work on the bridge, which began on July 24, is expected to end on Jan. 24, 2021.
According to him, 75 per cent of the traffic on the bridge will still be captured.
“Only 25 per cent will be directed to the alternative routes during the period of surface rehabilitation works on the bridge.
“The maintenance work, which is being implemented by the Federal Ministry of Works and Housing, is divided into two phases with each phase lasting for three months.
“The phase one is dedicated to repairs of the outward Oworonshoki bound lane of the bridge, while the second phase will focus on the Lagos Island bound carriageway,” the corps marshal said.
He said that the length of space under rehabilitation was 3.6 kilometres between Adeniji Adele and Adekunle routes out of the total length of the bridge, put at 11.8 kilometres.
Oyeyemi added that the 11.8 kilometres long Third Mainland Bridge was a critical corridor connecting Mainland and Island.
He said that the corridor carried the average daily traffic between Lagos Mainland and Island with 60,000 vehicles inward bound Island at peak period and 20,000 outward with 250 personnel on ground to direct the traffic 24 hours.
“The corps has deployed 250 personnel, 200 Marshals and 50 officers together with 15 patrol vehicles, two heavy trucks, two light trucks, two Ambulance and two motor bikes to control traffic.
“The identified locations for personnel fortification include: Stadium, Costain Roundabout, Iponri, Surulere, Eko Bridge Apongbon Alaska end, Oyingbo, Carter bridge, CMS Bus Stop and Iddo,” Oyeyemi said.
The corps marshal, however, appreciated the other security agencies, like Police, Civil Defence Corps and Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) for their collaborations in ensuring adequate security on the bridge.
In his remarks, Mr Popoola Olukayode, the Federal Controller of Works in Charge of Lagos State, said the contractor had been working progressively to ensure that the work was completed as scheduled.
“As we speak, work is ongoing at the six expansion joints that we are going to replace.
“The contractor is now cutting the steel so that they can be able to pull it out of the joint where it is being buried.
“So, after that one, we are going to replace the expansion joint one after the other and the work is progressing steadily.
“After the three months, we will shift to the other lane, and we are assuring Lagos residents that we are not going to extend the six months period that we will use to carry out the rehabilitation,” Olukayode said.
He said there were about 10 engineers supervising the project to ensure the work was done perfectly.
Edited By: Olagoke Olatoye (NAN)
Nigeria Airforce partners local Engineering coy for improved services
The Nigeria Air Force (NAF) is partnering with over 30 Nigerian universities for research purposes and some Nigerian companies as a way of engaging local content in its operations.
Olabisi said that the NAF was working with companies like Innoson and Ibeto Group in its aircraft equipment and maintenance requirements.
“The Nigeria Air Force is a highly technical service operating a variety of sophisticated aircrafts and equipment. Therefore, Innoson helps to assemble some of the equipment for our aircraft while Ibeto produces batteries for our aircrafts.
“We are glad to know that TRANOS is an engineering company that has factored safety and quality production as the watch word of the industry.
“Before now, almost all the input of our operations as well as trainings came from abroad because of the sophistication of the equipment that we operate.
“However, partnering with local companies will help to improve our service to the country at cost effective prices,” Olabisi said.
Also, Air Commodore Ibikunle Daramola, Director of Public Relations and Information, HQ NAF, said the visit was to focus on local contents in procurement and development of science, technology and innovation.
“We are seeking to collaborate with this company as we have done with other companies like Ibeto and Innoson.
“TRANOS is another logical step in that direction in developing indigenous solutions to our technological challenges. The NAF is a highly technological driven service that require such inputs where some of the issues involved are the production of spare parts for our aircraft,” he said.
Daramola said that the Covid-19 pandemic led to a number of restrictions placed on air travel which had affected the logistics supply chain interms of spares.
“This has driven us to look inwards interms of looking for solutions to this issues.
“For the NAF to make sure it is self sufficient, we need to look inwards to look for solutions. That is why partnership with local companies is important to us. So, we will continue to collaborate with them to come out with these specific areas of need for the NAF to get the solutions that we require,” he said.
Abalaka said that partnership was important for growth and expansion which would enable both parties to grow and positively impact on each other and the society.
‘We will focus on the challenges that the NAF might be facing in other to help interms of their aircraft; whether it be mechanical or electrical.
“There is also a drive for made in Nigeria goods right now and we are a company that has focused on investment, in equipment, in personnel and in training to be able to do a lot of things locally,” Abalaka said.
Edited By: Ismail Abdulaziz (NAN)
Pa Fasanmi buried as Fayemi, Akeredolu,Tinubu pay tributes
Eminent Nigerians on Tuesday paid tributes to the late Afenifere leader, Pa Ayo Fasanmi, as his remains were interred in his country home in Iye Ekiti, Ilejemeje Local Government Area of Ekiti.
Fasanmi, a Second Republic Senator, died on July 29 at the age of 94.
Fayemi said Fasanmi’s contributions to the development of democracy was immeasurable, particularly his role in the formation and operation of the defunct National Democratic Coalition (NADECO) that fought the military.
The governor disclosed that his government was already constructing a secondary school to honour the deceased for his contributions to the state before his death.
” My only regret is that he has left us before the school will be officially inaugurated for academic activities when schools finally reopen,” Fayemi said.
Fayemi, in his tribute entitled, “‘Tribute to a Man of Integrity,” said what attracted him to the deceased was his integrity.
“His death has, therefore, robbed me of a godfather, counsellor, an advocate and a father. A good man has left us.
” We will sorely miss him but we are consoled that he was dedicated to selfless service,” he said.
Fayemi added that Fasanmi belonged in the class of the youths of the 1950s when the nationalist movement was at its feverish peak.
He noted that the deceased got indoctrinated into nationalism struggle through the writings of Dr Nnamdi Azikwe and his contemporaries.
“He proved his political mettle in 1964 when he was elected as a member of the Federal House of Representatives before 1966 and he got imprisoned in Agodi Prison and was later released.
“He offered to serve as governor of the old Ondo state in 1978 and slugged it out with Chief Michael Adekunle Ajasin who defeated him in the primary.
“One legacy for which Baba would be fondly remembered was his credential of incorruptibility. He was a man of tall integrity and honesty.
“It would be recalled that he was the first to start the Anti-Bribery and Corruption Committee in 1973 under Col. Oluwole Rotimi of the Western Region.
“Chief Ayo Fasanmi has come, he has seen and conquered. He conquered human cravings, vanity of power, ostentation, greed and malice,” he said.
Speaking on behalf of the Southwest Governors, Gov. Rotimi Akeredolu of Ondo State, said the news of the passage of the icon was a loss to the Yoruba and Nigeria at large.
“Baba living long for 94 years was not what we are celebrating, but we are celebrating how many lives he had impacted on. He lived an impactful life.
“He was not petty but he spoke truth, lived a remarkable life and was one politician who became senator and came home to rest,” he said.
The governor of Lagos State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, represented by his Special Adviser on Civic Engagements, Aderemi Adebowale, said Fasanmi’s influence became more pronounced by his incorruptible nature.
The All Progressives Congress National leader, Bola Ahmed Tinubu, represented by former Lagos State Deputy Governor, Abiodun Ogunleye, said Nigerians must learn from the late politician who lived a modest and spartan lifestyle.
Tinubu described Fasanmi as a revolutionary and a politician of outstanding mien, civility and character who was worthy of being emulated .
In his sermon, the Bishop of Ekiti Oke, Anglican Communion, Peter Olubowale, said Fasanmi was not a noise maker and trouble maker during his time.
The cleric urged the people to continually do good to humanity the way Fasanmi did to his family, political associates , friends and companions.
“We need to be available to ourselves and committed to God. Nigerians are number one people in the world that are easy to govern with patience, zeal and endurance.
“Baba has told us that all these monies you are spending and the one you are keeping inside bullion vans and the ones being stashed in banks accounts are all vanity.
” Use the position you are occupying very well to develop humanity. This is the only way you can gain eternity because materialism will lead you to hell fire,” he said.
Edited By: Josephine Obute/Mufutau Ojo) (NAN)